Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3 - Suse ; I've posted on this before. The problem is now solved. As a last resort I downloaded the just released 10.3 live CD (KDE version) and gave it a shot. On the Dell Dimension 4400 desktop, the live CD recognized USB ...

  1. Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3

    I've posted on this before. The problem is now solved.

    As a last resort I downloaded the just released 10.3
    live CD (KDE version) and gave it a shot.

    On the Dell Dimension 4400 desktop, the live CD recognized
    USB sticks on insertion.

    I then tried it on my Dell Inspiron 5150 and once again,
    USB sticks worked.

    I then installed 10.3 from the live CD on the 5150. The
    installation was a bit rough, including one or two long
    periods of blank screen (that's a no-no folks) but in
    the end the USB mounting problem is now solved.

    However, there are two NEW problems. One is that the
    USB stick support isn't set up correctly. One must be
    root to unmount them. That's ugly since one wants the
    user to simply be able to click on the icon, assuming one
    has been set up. But that is trivial to fix.

    The other has been stated in an earlier post. It is not
    possible to set up any community repositories from the
    live CD. There is a fix for this discussed at

    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00923.html

    (a slightly different URL than was given earlier -- this one
    contains the confirmation of the proposed fix.) I haven't
    done the fix yet, but will report the result when I get a
    moment to install it.

    I am still annoyed though. Clearly, something was fixed
    between the original CD and boxed set DVD released, since
    neither of them treated USB's properly on installation.
    That is now fixed -- but no patch was ever issued. If you
    are suffering with the USB problem and don't read this
    newsgroup (or one or two other sources) you won't know about
    the cure. That isn't good.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > However, there are two NEW problems. One is that the
    > USB stick support isn't set up correctly. One must be
    > root to unmount them. That's ugly since one wants the
    > user to simply be able to click on the icon, assuming one
    > has been set up. But that is trivial to fix.

    I tried it and it works for me.

    I think they must have worked very hard on laptop/notebook power
    managemet tweaks on the kde version (it now works as it should) and may
    have turned a few services off by default. My install is a couple of
    days old (kde live cd + all updates and mainly standard repos, ie no
    multimedia stuff yet) and my user account can mount and unmount usb
    memory drives and usb floppy drive without any issues. Though I think at
    first I experienced the same issues as you, I don't know exactly what
    fixed it for me because I tweaked here and there and installed some
    extra packages and its hard to pinpoint exactly what was the "fix".
    My guess is its either the security settings (Yast2 CC--->Security &
    Users--->Local Security), a system service needs to be enabled or a
    missing package needs to be installed. All I know is that my system
    does what you desire! :-)

    > The other has been stated in an earlier post. It is not
    > possible to set up any community repositories from the
    > live CD. There is a fix for this discussed at
    >
    > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00923.html
    >
    > (a slightly different URL than was given earlier -- this one
    > contains the confirmation of the proposed fix.) I haven't
    > done the fix yet, but will report the result when I get a
    > moment to install it.

    Cheers

  3. Re: Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > However, there are two NEW problems. One is that the
    > USB stick support isn't set up correctly. One must be
    > root to unmount them. That's ugly since one wants the
    > user to simply be able to click on the icon, assuming one
    > has been set up. But that is trivial to fix.

    I think they must have worked very hard on laptop/notebook power
    management tweaks on the kde version (it now works as it should) and may
    have turned a few services off by default. My install is a couple of
    days old (kde live cd + all updates and mainly standard repos, ie no
    multimedia stuff yet) and my user account can mount and unmount usb
    memory drives and usb floppy drive without any issues. Though I think at
    first I experienced the same issues as you, I don't know exactly what
    fixed it for me because I tweaked here and there and installed some
    extra packages and its hard to pinpoint exactly what was the "fix".
    My guess is its either the security settings (Yast2 CC--->Security &
    Users--->Local Security), a system service needs to be enabled or a
    missing package needs to be installed. All I know is that my system
    does what you desire! :-)

    > The other has been stated in an earlier post. It is not
    > possible to set up any community repositories from the
    > live CD. There is a fix for this discussed at
    >
    > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00923.html
    >
    > (a slightly different URL than was given earlier -- this one
    > contains the confirmation of the proposed fix.) I haven't
    > done the fix yet, but will report the result when I get a
    > moment to install it.

    I tried it and it works for me.

    Cheers

  4. Re: Unable to mount USB sticks in 10.3

    Peter wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> However, there are two NEW problems. One is that the
    >> USB stick support isn't set up correctly. One must be
    >> root to unmount them. That's ugly since one wants the
    >> user to simply be able to click on the icon, assuming one
    >> has been set up. But that is trivial to fix.

    >I tried it and it works for me.

    >I think they must have worked very hard on laptop/notebook power
    >managemet tweaks on the kde version (it now works as it should) and may
    >have turned a few services off by default. My install is a couple of
    >days old (kde live cd + all updates and mainly standard repos, ie no
    >multimedia stuff yet) and my user account can mount and unmount usb
    >memory drives and usb floppy drive without any issues.

    Yes, that's my experience with the KDE LiveCD

    >Though I think at
    >first I experienced the same issues as you, I don't know exactly what
    >fixed it for me because I tweaked here and there and installed some
    >extra packages and its hard to pinpoint exactly what was the "fix".
    >My guess is its either the security settings (Yast2 CC--->Security &
    >Users--->Local Security), a system service needs to be enabled or a
    >missing package needs to be installed. All I know is that my system
    >does what you desire! :-)

    Yup.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans