Unable to access folders on my Synology DS101g+ NAS - Suse

This is a discussion on Unable to access folders on my Synology DS101g+ NAS - Suse ; I have a Synology Diskstation NAS (model DS101g+) connected to my LAN. For some reason I am unable to access folders on the Diskstation from my openSUSE 10.2 system. I'm running the GNOME desktop, and if I go to Places ...

  1. Unable to access folders on my Synology DS101g+ NAS

    I have a Synology Diskstation NAS (model DS101g+) connected to my LAN.
    For some reason I am unable to access folders on the Diskstation from my
    openSUSE 10.2 system. I'm running the GNOME desktop, and if I go to
    Places > Network Severs the DiskStation is listed. However, when I
    double click on the DiskStation icon nothing happens (after a while the
    system times out with a message saying it was unable to connect). If I
    boot into Windows (I have a dual boot setup) I can access DiskStation
    and all folders without any problem and the response is very fast.

    Any idea what might be going on here? I'd like to get this working
    reliably, if possible, as I use it for storing common files and backups
    accessible (hopefully) from either system.

    Thanks for any help with this. -Pat

  2. Re: Unable to access folders on my Synology DS101g+ NAS

    Pat wrote:
    > I have a Synology Diskstation NAS (model DS101g+) connected to my LAN.
    > For some reason I am unable to access folders on the Diskstation from my
    > openSUSE 10.2 system. I'm running the GNOME desktop, and if I go to
    > Places > Network Severs the DiskStation is listed. However, when I
    > double click on the DiskStation icon nothing happens (after a while the
    > system times out with a message saying it was unable to connect). If I
    > boot into Windows (I have a dual boot setup) I can access DiskStation
    > and all folders without any problem and the response is very fast.
    >
    > Any idea what might be going on here? I'd like to get this working
    > reliably, if possible, as I use it for storing common files and backups
    > accessible (hopefully) from either system.
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this. -Pat
    >
    > .

    Well, I think I got it fixed. I followed the steps outlined in this
    guide (for setting up Samba):

    http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

    and it now works (I can access the folders on my NAS). The main thing I
    think I was missing was a host name entry for the NAS box (in Yast
    >Network Services > Host Names). Is seems to be working reliably now,

    although it still doesn't open quite as fast as it does from Windows
    (but I can live with that).

    Hope this helps someone.

    Pat

+ Reply to Thread