openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported - Suse ; I wish to evaluate openSUSE 10.3 from the cover DVD with Dec 07 Linux-Magazine. Selected Live/GNOME option. Linux Kernel loads OK; services, etc, begins OK. At point where "gdm service" starts to load, screen blanks and my Hyundai L90D monitor ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    I wish to evaluate openSUSE 10.3 from the cover DVD with Dec 07
    Linux-Magazine.

    Selected Live/GNOME option. Linux Kernel loads OK; services, etc,
    begins OK. At point where "gdm service" starts to load, screen blanks
    and my Hyundai L90D monitor shows error message "Video mode not
    supported". Video mode for existing Win2K and Mandriva2007.0 dual-boot
    systems work OK set to 1280x1024 @60Hz, and openSUSE 10.3 automatically
    sets Video Mode to 1280x1024 at start. Video card is nVIDIA GeForce FX
    5200.

    As 1280x1024 appears OK, am assuming it is the refresh rate that the
    monitor objects to. Is there an option to set the refresh rate to 60Hz
    prior to Live-CD or install? Or is there some other work-around?

    TIA

    John W
    Nelson, New Zealand

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    jw_karori wrote:

    > I wish to evaluate openSUSE 10.3 from the cover DVD with Dec 07
    > Linux-Magazine.
    >
    > Selected Live/GNOME option. Linux Kernel loads OK; services, etc,
    > begins OK. At point where "gdm service" starts to load, screen blanks
    > and my Hyundai L90D monitor shows error message "Video mode not
    > supported". Video mode for existing Win2K and Mandriva2007.0 dual-boot
    > systems work OK set to 1280x1024 @60Hz, and openSUSE 10.3 automatically
    > sets Video Mode to 1280x1024 at start. Video card is nVIDIA GeForce FX
    > 5200.
    >
    > As 1280x1024 appears OK, am assuming it is the refresh rate that the
    > monitor objects to. Is there an option to set the refresh rate to 60Hz
    > prior to Live-CD or install? Or is there some other work-around?

    John, I set mine up for 1400x900 60hz using Sax2 while booted to the CD (it
    used 1024x768 70 hz by default). The system persisted that setting across
    the subsent install from that live CD in the same session. Did you set the
    appropriate mode before selecting the install option?

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    Will Honea wrote:
    > jw_karori wrote:
    >
    >> I wish to evaluate openSUSE 10.3 from the cover DVD with Dec 07
    >> Linux-Magazine.
    >>
    >> Selected Live/GNOME option. Linux Kernel loads OK; services, etc,
    >> begins OK. At point where "gdm service" starts to load, screen blanks
    >> and my Hyundai L90D monitor shows error message "Video mode not
    >> supported". Video mode for existing Win2K and Mandriva2007.0 dual-boot
    >> systems work OK set to 1280x1024 @60Hz, and openSUSE 10.3 automatically
    >> sets Video Mode to 1280x1024 at start. Video card is nVIDIA GeForce FX
    >> 5200.
    >>
    >> As 1280x1024 appears OK, am assuming it is the refresh rate that the
    >> monitor objects to. Is there an option to set the refresh rate to 60Hz
    >> prior to Live-CD or install? Or is there some other work-around?

    > John, I set mine up for 1400x900 60hz using Sax2 while booted to the CD (it
    > used 1024x768 70 hz by default). The system persisted that setting across
    > the subsent install from that live CD in the same session. Did you set the
    > appropriate mode before selecting the install option?

    Will:
    Is "Sax2" an option? Where is this (and any other) option documented?

    I was trying to start openSUSE as a live CD, have not tried an install -
    wanted to evaluate it first! For me, "Video Mode" under the
    Linux-Magazine DVD only auto-presets 1280x1024 resolution, not the
    refresh rate apparently. Have tried again with other settings
    (including "Text"). Same result - Video mode not supported".

    --
    jw_karori
    Nelson, New Zealand

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:35:07 +1300, jw_karori
    wrote:

    >Will Honea wrote:
    >> jw_karori wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wish to evaluate openSUSE 10.3 from the cover DVD with Dec 07
    >>> Linux-Magazine.
    >>>
    >>> Selected Live/GNOME option. Linux Kernel loads OK; services, etc,
    >>> begins OK. At point where "gdm service" starts to load, screen blanks
    >>> and my Hyundai L90D monitor shows error message "Video mode not
    >>> supported". Video mode for existing Win2K and Mandriva2007.0 dual-boot
    >>> systems work OK set to 1280x1024 @60Hz, and openSUSE 10.3 automatically
    >>> sets Video Mode to 1280x1024 at start. Video card is nVIDIA GeForce FX
    >>> 5200.
    >>>
    >>> As 1280x1024 appears OK, am assuming it is the refresh rate that the
    >>> monitor objects to. Is there an option to set the refresh rate to 60Hz
    >>> prior to Live-CD or install? Or is there some other work-around?

    >> John, I set mine up for 1400x900 60hz using Sax2 while booted to the CD (it
    >> used 1024x768 70 hz by default). The system persisted that setting across
    >> the subsent install from that live CD in the same session. Did you set the
    >> appropriate mode before selecting the install option?
    >>

    >Will:
    >Is "Sax2" an option? Where is this (and any other) option documented?
    >
    >I was trying to start openSUSE as a live CD, have not tried an install -
    >wanted to evaluate it first! For me, "Video Mode" under the
    >Linux-Magazine DVD only auto-presets 1280x1024 resolution, not the
    >refresh rate apparently. Have tried again with other settings
    >(including "Text"). Same result - Video mode not supported".

    sax2 is a SuSE x-configuration applet.

    You asking where it is documented tells me that you have done no
    searching for it.

    YOU do a search for it, and YOU will find it as it has been in use by
    SuSE for YEARS!

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:35:07 +1300, jw_karori
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Will Honea wrote:

    >>> John, I set mine up for 1400x900 60hz using Sax2 while booted to the CD (it
    >>> used 1024x768 70 hz by default). The system persisted that setting across
    >>> the subsent install from that live CD in the same session. Did you set the
    >>> appropriate mode before selecting the install option?
    >>>

    >> Will:
    >> Is "Sax2" an option? Where is this (and any other) option documented?
    >>
    >> I was trying to start openSUSE as a live CD, have not tried an install -
    >> wanted to evaluate it first! For me, "Video Mode" under the
    >> Linux-Magazine DVD only auto-presets 1280x1024 resolution, not the
    >> refresh rate apparently. Have tried again with other settings
    >> (including "Text"). Same result - Video mode not supported".

    > sax2 is a SuSE x-configuration applet.
    >
    > You asking where it is documented tells me that you have done no
    > searching for it.
    >
    > YOU do a search for it, and YOU will find it as it has been in use by
    > SuSE for YEARS!

    Thanks. Have now googled and found info on Sax2. To me, it seems
    that it is available for use after booting openSUSE. Perhaps I didn't
    make myself fully clear in my initial and followup postings (my bad),
    but when the screen blanks (apart from the "Video mode not supported"
    message) after "starting gdm" I can go no further - the screen remains
    like that.

    By "option" in my postings, I meant entries in the "Boot options" entry
    area on the openSUSE initial boot splash screen - I think I need a boot
    option to force 60 Hz refresh rate to continue the boot-up ...

    --
    jw_karori
    Nelson, New Zealand

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:57:50 +1300, jw_karori
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:35:07 +1300, jw_karori
    >> wrote:

    >>> Will:
    >>> Is "Sax2" an option? Where is this (and any other) option documented?
    >>>
    >>> I was trying to start openSUSE as a live CD, have not tried an install -
    >>> wanted to evaluate it first! For me, "Video Mode" under the
    >>> Linux-Magazine DVD only auto-presets 1280x1024 resolution, not the
    >>> refresh rate apparently. Have tried again with other settings
    >>> (including "Text"). Same result - Video mode not supported".

    >> sax2 is a SuSE x-configuration applet.
    >>
    >> You asking where it is documented tells me that you have done no
    >> searching for it.
    >>
    >> YOU do a search for it, and YOU will find it as it has been in use by
    >> SuSE for YEARS!

    >Thanks. Have now googled and found info on Sax2. To me, it seems
    >that it is available for use after booting openSUSE. Perhaps I didn't
    >make myself fully clear in my initial and followup postings (my bad),
    >but when the screen blanks (apart from the "Video mode not supported"
    >message) after "starting gdm" I can go no further - the screen remains
    >like that.
    >
    >By "option" in my postings, I meant entries in the "Boot options" entry
    >area on the openSUSE initial boot splash screen - I think I need a boot
    >option to force 60 Hz refresh rate to continue the boot-up ...

    Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console, log in, then "killall gdm" to kill
    any remnant of X and Gnome desktop display manager, THEN you can run
    sax2.

  7. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:57:50 +1300, jw_karori
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    (Clip)
    >> By "option" in my postings, I meant entries in the "Boot options" entry
    >> area on the openSUSE initial boot splash screen - I think I need a boot
    >> option to force 60 Hz refresh rate to continue the boot-up ...

    > Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console, log in, then "killall gdm" to kill
    > any remnant of X and Gnome desktop display manager, THEN you can run
    > sax2.

    Chairman:

    Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    a blank gray screen ..

    --
    John Williams
    Nelson, New Zealand

  8. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:24:54 +1300, jw_karori
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:57:50 +1300, jw_karori
    >> wrote:

    >(Clip)
    >>> By "option" in my postings, I meant entries in the "Boot options" entry
    >>> area on the openSUSE initial boot splash screen - I think I need a boot
    >>> option to force 60 Hz refresh rate to continue the boot-up ...

    >> Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console, log in, then "killall gdm" to kill
    >> any remnant of X and Gnome desktop display manager, THEN you can run
    >> sax2.

    >Chairman:
    >
    >Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    >sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    >adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    >environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    >a blank gray screen ..

    After you Ctrl-Alt-F7 try Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc to kill the xserver that tried
    to run earlier. See if that brings back the console prompt.

    I use startx -- -dpi 100

    I get better fonts that way usually.

  9. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    jw_karori wrote:

    > Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    > sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    > adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    > environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    > a blank gray screen ..

    The easiest method it to login as root, type:

    init 3

    to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax,
    and then type:

    init 5 && logout

    to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root
    user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

  10. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:00:05 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >jw_karori wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    >> sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    >> adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    >> environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    >> a blank gray screen ..

    >The easiest method it to login as root, type:
    >
    > init 3
    >
    >to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax,
    >and then type:
    >
    > init 5 && logout
    >
    >to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root
    >user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

    He never made it to his desktop. He had a crashed desktop. Do you
    ever actually read the posts?

  11. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:00:05 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >
    >> jw_karori wrote:
    >>> Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    >>> sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    >>> adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    >>> environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    >>> a blank gray screen ..

    >> The easiest method it to login as root, type:
    >>
    >> init 3
    >>
    >> to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax,
    >> and then type:
    >>
    >> init 5 && logout
    >>
    >> to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root
    >> user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

    > He never made it to his desktop. He had a crashed desktop. Do you
    > ever actually read the posts?

    Do you actually know that init 3 kills the crashed desktop?

  12. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:33:41 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:00:05 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    >> wrote:

    >>> The easiest method it to login as root, type:
    >>>
    >>> init 3
    >>>
    >>> to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax,
    >>> and then type:
    >>>
    >>> init 5 && logout
    >>>
    >>> to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root
    >>> user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

    >> He never made it to his desktop. He had a crashed desktop. Do you
    >> ever actually read the posts?

    >Do you actually know that init 3 kills the crashed desktop?

    Doesn't discount the fact that you thought he had one to go back to.

    Nor does is change the fact that Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc does as well.
    Init 3 is better, but so what?

  13. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > Doesn't discount the fact that you thought he had one to go back to.
    >
    > Nor does is change the fact that Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc does as well.
    > Init 3 is better, but so what?

    Does this discussion have a point other than spam?

  14. SOLVED : openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    jw_karori wrote:
    > ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:57:50 +1300, jw_karori
    >> wrote:

    > (Clip)
    >>> By "option" in my postings, I meant entries in the "Boot options"
    >>> entry area on the openSUSE initial boot splash screen - I think I
    >>> need a boot option to force 60 Hz refresh rate to continue the
    >>> boot-up ...

    >> Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console, log in, then "killall gdm" to kill
    >> any remnant of X and Gnome desktop display manager, THEN you can run
    >> sax2.

    > Chairman:
    >
    > Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed
    > sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and
    > adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome
    > environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me
    > a blank gray screen ..
    >
    > --
    > John Williams
    > Nelson, New Zealand

    Chairman and Nikos:

    Thanks for your help, openSUSE Live-System-Gnome now up and running.

    I will, however, consider lodging a bug report - perhaps Novell can
    engineer the boot-up to replicate the Sax2 process ...

    Regards,

    --
    John Williams
    Nelson, New Zealand

  15. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:30:46 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >>
    >> Doesn't discount the fact that you thought he had one to go back to.
    >>
    >> Nor does is change the fact that Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc does as well.
    >> Init 3 is better, but so what?

    >Does this discussion have a point other than spam?

    There wasn't any SPAM in this entire thread, you retarded twit.
    Kindly **** off if you are not going to add anything contributory.

    No... strike that... Just **** off.

  16. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:30:46 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >>> Doesn't discount the fact that you thought he had one to go back to.
    >>>
    >>> Nor does is change the fact that Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc does as well.
    >>> Init 3 is better, but so what?

    >> Does this discussion have a point other than spam?

    > There wasn't any SPAM in this entire thread, you retarded twit.
    > Kindly **** off if you are not going to add anything contributory.
    >
    > No... strike that... Just **** off.

    Butthurt or something?

    And before I forget: *plonk*

  17. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:06:31 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:30:46 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    >> wrote:

    >>> Does this discussion have a point other than spam?

    >> There wasn't any SPAM in this entire thread, you retarded twit.
    >> Kindly **** off if you are not going to add anything contributory.
    >>
    >> No... strike that... Just **** off.

    >Butthurt or something?

    Only in your fifth grade mentality brain, little boy.

    >And before I forget: *plonk*

    One of the most retarded things done in Usenet is to act the way you
    did.

    The second most retarded thing in Usenet is for a ****tard like you to
    announce your filter file edits.

    Thank you for showing us that your IQ rests somewhere well below 40.

    You pathetic, cringing little milksop!

    Oh,and before I forget... do **** OFF!

  18. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:01:13 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:06:31 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    >wrote:
    >
    >>ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    >>> There wasn't any SPAM in this entire thread, you retarded twit.
    >>> Kindly **** off if you are not going to add anything contributory.
    >>>
    >>> No... strike that... Just **** off.

    >>Butthurt or something?

    > Only in your fifth grade mentality brain, little boy.
    >>
    >>And before I forget: *plonk*

    > One of the most retarded things done in Usenet is to act the way you
    >did.
    >
    > The second most retarded thing in Usenet is for a ****tard like you to
    >announce your filter file edits.
    >
    > Thank you for showing us that your IQ rests somewhere well below 40.
    >
    > You pathetic, cringing little milksop!
    >
    > Oh,and before I forget... do **** OFF!

    Yep. 100% right on the mark!

  19. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    UltimatePatriot wrote:
    >> The second most retarded thing in Usenet is for a ****tard like you to
    >> announce your filter file edits.
    >>
    >> Thank you for showing us that your IQ rests somewhere well below 40.
    >>
    >> You pathetic, cringing little milksop!
    >>
    >> Oh,and before I forget... do **** OFF!

    > Yep. 100% right on the mark!

    Hmm, I need to find a way to also block this poor excuse of a wannabe
    troll from showing up in quotes of others :P

  20. Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Hmm, I need to find a way to also block this poor excuse of a wannabe
    > troll from showing up in quotes of others :P

    Look in the headers and filter on whatever you find there. References can
    be interesting, as well as originating provider or anything else you see
    there.

    Some people use an anoymizer ad then you can filter on their secret
    identity. I am banning some anonymous providers completely.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

+ Reply to Thread