Install RPM with no dep check - Suse

This is a discussion on Install RPM with no dep check - Suse ; Is there a way to install a package without dependency check with zypper or yast? Currently, if I want to install, say, KDevelop, I have to download it from the repository to my disk, and do "rpm -i --nodeps /path/to/kdevelop.rpm" ...

  1. Install RPM with no dep check

    Is there a way to install a package without dependency check with zypper
    or yast?

    Currently, if I want to install, say, KDevelop, I have to download it
    from the repository to my disk, and do "rpm -i --nodeps
    /path/to/kdevelop.rpm" if I don't want yast or zypper to also install
    1GB of useless junk because of dependencies.

    Is this the only way to do that or am I missing something?

  2. Re: Install RPM with no dep check

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Is there a way to install a package without dependency check with zypper
    > or yast?
    >
    > Currently, if I want to install, say, KDevelop, I have to download it
    > from the repository to my disk, and do "rpm -i --nodeps
    > /path/to/kdevelop.rpm" if I don't want yast or zypper to also install
    > 1GB of useless junk because of dependencies.
    >
    > Is this the only way to do that or am I missing something?

    One thing you are missing is that those dependencies may not be useless
    junk. The program may not even work without them. Why do you think so
    many people complain about the bouncing icon and no program launch?

    However, sometimes those dependencies do seem somewhat ridiculous. If you
    are using YAST then uncheck the AutoCheck box. Also most of the time you
    can tell YAST to ignore each particular dependency just for that time or
    always. I'm assuming you are not using the CLI and are using the graphical
    interface.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com