OT - posting etiquette - Suse

This is a discussion on OT - posting etiquette - Suse ; Was wondering. In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting. Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know? Beege...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. OT - posting etiquette

    Was wondering.
    In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    Beege

  2. Re: OT - posting etiquette (Business)

    Ed Hurst wrote:
    > Beege wrote:
    >
    >> Was wondering.
    >> In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >> Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    > Here's your hint ;-)

    E-mail to people with whom you do business, and relatives who are not
    techies, should begin at the top of the page -- at least with a note
    that matters are responded to in the body of the note after the relevant
    passages.

  3. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  4. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Beege wrote:-

    >Was wondering.
    >In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom
    >posting. Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    Before the Eternal September[0] started, the general rule was to lurk in
    whichever group you were interested in, getting a feel for how things
    were done. Unfortunately, AOL opened up access to Usenet and Eternal
    September started. While some say it's now over, what with AOL dropping
    Usenet access a couple of years ago, others say they just passed the
    torch on to Google Groups.

    So, the best way to find out is to lurk first, ask questions later. This
    covers not just this group but others as well.

    The second best is to read RFC 1855[1], especially section 3, and apply
    the knowledge contained within.

    The third way would be to trim out what you aren't responding to, and
    respond to each point one after the other, otherwise known as posting
    inline. The end results, if you're responding to more than one point,
    would be for your reply to end up similar to this:

    >point one

    your response to point one

    >point two

    your response to point two

    something extra you want to add

    Most groups prefer that way of posting. You'll find a few that prefer
    other ways, but there's not many of them.

    You will also find that you're more likely to get answers to questions
    if you post like this. Quite apart from the fact that it makes it easier
    for others to read your posts, it also goes some way towards ensuring
    you don't get ignored by those who could help because your making it
    easier for them.

    [0]

    [1]

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  5. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Beege wrote:-
    >
    >> Was wondering.
    >> In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom
    >> posting. Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    > Before the Eternal September[0]....

    Thanks David, Dennis and Ed.

    I will try to bottom post whenever unsure, and try to discover otherwise
    by lurking in the other groups I frequent.

    Beege

  6. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Beege wrote:
    >Was wondering.
    >In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:55:34 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    wrote:

    >Beege wrote:
    >>Was wondering.
    >>In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >>Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    >The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    Not true. The "Internet" has plenty of web based forums where this is
    not the case.

    The proper response is:

    "The Usenet standard is bottom posting, in most groups."

    Once the poster realizes that there is a difference between Usenet
    groups, and online Internet (read web) based chat/bulletin forums, he'll
    be better off.

  8. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:43:32 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:55:34 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Beege wrote:
    >>>Was wondering.
    >>>In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >>>Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    >>The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    > Not true. The "Internet" has plenty of web based forums where this is
    > not the case.
    >
    > The proper response is:
    >
    > "The Usenet standard is bottom posting, in most groups."

    ITYM "interleaved posting".

    Bottom posting usually means quoting all 50,000 lines of someone's
    webserver logs and saying "me too".

  9. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On 10 Nov 2007 08:51:53 +0100, Mark South
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:43:32 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:55:34 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    >> wrote:

    >>>The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    >> Not true. The "Internet" has plenty of web based forums where this is
    >> not the case.
    >>
    >> The proper response is:
    >>
    >> "The Usenet standard is bottom posting, in most groups."

    >ITYM "interleaved posting".
    >
    >Bottom posting usually means quoting all 50,000 lines of someone's
    >webserver logs and saying "me too".

    Bottom posting is fine for most threads and short message replies.
    Interleaved is the best all around, because it has responses near the
    text they relate to.

  10. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Beege wrote:
    >>Was wondering.
    >>In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >>Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    > The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    To be 100% correct, the correct way is inline posting. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  11. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Mark South wrote:
    > ITYM "interleaved posting".

    Yep, or any other name you want to give it.

    > Bottom posting usually means quoting all 50,000 lines of someone's
    > webserver logs and saying "me too".

    Then you are doing it wrong.
    EN http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
    DE http://learn.to/quote/
    NL http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  12. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Before the Eternal September[0] started, the general rule was to lurk in
    > whichever group you were interested in, getting a feel for how things
    > were done.

    Before I even started using the Internet, I read up on it and thus knew
    beforehand that I should lurk. I knew what flaming was and how to avoid
    it

    Then there was no problem with how people posted, because everybody had
    a plaintext newsreader and the deafult was to add things at the end by
    default.

    I once asked by sister, who had no ideas about any rules, no ideas about
    computers and just used it to print menus and very occasional email what
    she thought would be better., topposting or bottomposting.

    She looked at me as to why I would ask such a silly question with such
    an obvious answer. I pressed her to tell me and why. It went along with
    the lines of why bottomposting is the better choice.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  13. Re: OT - posting etiquette (Business)

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > E-mail to people with whom you do business, and relatives who are not
    > techies, should begin at the top of the page -- at least with a note
    > that matters are responded to in the body of the note after the relevant
    > passages.

    Yes, and I hate it. It is terrible. I work at a company that not only
    has HTML as a standard in posting. It also is unpossible to turn off the
    deafault (First thing I try) and next to that they have a HUGE stoopid
    disclaimer that is worth jack****¹.

    The worst is when you get into a emaildiscusion that is going on for a
    while.

    What I do when I get a list of questions, I start with: "I have answerd
    in between"

    Then do the normal answers. Outlook even puts your name there, so that
    the next person will get his name there as well.

    Then at the end I give an explanation and remove everything else.

    I have recieved several mails along the lines of : Thanks for posting it
    so clearly by answering next to the question.

    So yes, I use the note, but more so to teach them that this is a way to
    do it as well as it is a way to warn them.

    ¹Disclaimer says something about the standard "if the mail is not for
    you, delete it" but then 20 lines long.
    The reason it is not valid is for several reasons. Firstly I live in
    Belgium, so the ext should be in the 3 native languages, not in English.
    Secondly, the server is in the UK, so Belgian law does not apply.
    Thirdly, if I recieve the email, I was the person it was send to. As if
    you would write my adress on a postcard, write down extra information
    that nobody should know and then add that if it isn't for my eyes, I
    should not read it.
    If you want your data secure ypu should do it, not me. Learn to use gpg
    (by default for all I care)
    At least from monday on, our department will have a LAMP website. :-D

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  14. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Easy

    One ignores any complaint you receive!

    The idea to keep in mind with text communication is to effectively
    communicate using whatever technique works for you personally. That
    includes editing the original post, forming a conversation
    (interleaving) or anything else that works!

    If someone is offended by your technique style and they post it to the
    group, they themselves are now a bigger problem. How does that saying
    go? "get use to it!"

    Remember too that any published etiquette/link is only someones opinion.

    There are of course arguments for and against what style to use. It also
    depends on how your newsreader displays. (like top posting is a great
    idea if your the person that reads it starts from the top of the page
    you sent, but already knows what the conversation is about from the
    subject line) If you read posts on many subjects you can argue that
    quoting above (bottom post) is useful but if you only ready a few it
    isn't so important.

    I think personally that inadequate subject lines and full quoted top
    postings are more of a problem.. Keep in mind though that this is my
    opinion and you should form your own ideas.!

    Cheers Bob

    Beege wrote:
    > In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.

  15. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    > Beege wrote:
    >> In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.

    Both are incorrect. You should be responding within the body of the reply.

  16. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Bob Bob wrote:

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  17. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:04:37 -0500, Beege wrote:

    > Was wondering.
    > In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    > Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?
    >
    > Beege

    Read some threads?

  18. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:55:34 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    >wrote:

    >>Beege wrote:
    >>>Was wondering.
    >>>In some forums, people abhor top posting, in others, its bottom posting.
    >>>Other than posting and getting flamed, how is one to know?

    >>The internet "standard", such as it is, is bottom posting.

    > Not true. The "Internet" has plenty of web based forums where this is
    >not the case.

    > The proper response is:

    >"The Usenet standard is bottom posting, in most groups."

    > Once the poster realizes that there is a difference between Usenet
    >groups, and online Internet (read web) based chat/bulletin forums, he'll
    >be better off.

    I stand by what I wrote. There is an RFC, whose number I have
    forgotten, laying out what was expected.

    One could google for it.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  19. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    Mark South wrote:

    >Bottom posting usually means quoting all 50,000 lines of someone's
    >webserver logs and saying "me too".

    Why do you say that?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  20. Re: OT - posting etiquette

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:57:22 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>Bottom posting usually means quoting all 50,000 lines of someone's
    >>webserver logs and saying "me too".

    > Why do you say that?

    Well, it's admittedly hyperbolic, but not far from what often happens in
    here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast