where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3? - Suse ; Hello group, I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that SuSE 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those ...

  1. where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    Hello group,

    I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the
    lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that SuSE
    8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x kernel.
    Is this true?

    I have look around the opensuse download ftp but found they only offer
    download of SuSE 9.3 and above. I am just wondering where can I get the ISO
    download of a lower version?

    Anyone got any idea of what is story of the Novell and OpenSuSE community
    like..? It seems to me that Novell used to hold SuSE while the opensuse
    community get apart from them recently..

    Thanks for anyone looking and answering!

    Xiaochuan

  2. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    Xiaochuan Shen wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the
    > lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that SuSE
    > 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x kernel.
    > Is this true?

    Not sure, look at distrowatch for distro information on older versions.

    > Anyone got any idea of what is story of the Novell and OpenSuSE community
    > like..? It seems to me that Novell used to hold SuSE while the opensuse
    > community get apart from them recently..

    Uh. Novel bought SUSE and then started openSUSE. openSUSE is now 'just'
    heavily sponsord by Novell. This by both paying people, hardware,
    infrastructure and other things.

    Kuckily Novell is more dedicated to open source then e.g. RedHat, who
    are threatend by CentOS, while Novell went and made it extremely easy to
    make your own openSUSE based distribution.

    They also have the build service, where you can submit sourcecode that
    they build for you, host it and not only for openSUSE, but also for
    other distributions, including their competitor, RedHat.

    So what you are feeling, the getting apart, was always from the start
    the intention of Novell. They would love it if they would do less
    (percentagewise) and others, especialy companies would do more
    (percentagewise).

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  3. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    Hi,

    houghi wrote:
    > Xiaochuan Shen wrote:
    >> Hello group,
    >>
    >> I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the
    >> lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that SuSE
    >> 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x kernel.
    >> Is this true?

    > Not sure, look at distrowatch for distro information on older versions.

    Uh, why do you answer then?
    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/disconti...817/README.txt

    quote:
    The following trees have been removed from the discontinued directories:

    ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/discontinued/i386/
    9.0
    [...9.3]
    [...]
    The deleted files have vanished from the ftp server and are archived
    internally at SuSE.

    quote ends.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  4. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    Andreas wrote:
    >>>I did some google search and found that SuSE
    >>> 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x kernel.
    >>> Is this true?

    >> Not sure, look at distrowatch for distro information on older versions.

    > Uh, why do you answer then?

    Uh, as an answer to the question "Is this true?". There you can see what
    versions of what software were available on what distribution. At least
    that was the case when I looked last time.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  5. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    Xiaochuan Shen wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the
    > lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that
    > SuSE 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x
    > kernel. Is this true?
    >

    > I have look around the opensuse download ftp but found they only offer
    > download of SuSE 9.3 and above. I am just wondering where can I get the
    > ISO download of a lower version?
    >

    > Anyone got any idea of what is story of the Novell and OpenSuSE community
    > like..? It seems to me that Novell used to hold SuSE while the opensuse
    > community get apart from them recently..
    >

    > Thanks for anyone looking and answering!
    >
    > Xiaochuan

    Good evening,

    lower version are at ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/discontinued/

    Greetings,

    Uwe Thaler

  6. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:42:41 +0000 in fh1kk1$38v$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk,
    "Xiaochuan Shen" wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I need to try out SuSE with a kernel version of 2.4.x rather than the
    > lastest 2.6.x for some reason. I did some google search and found that
    > SuSE 8.2 and above has a 2.6.x kernel while those above may have a 2.4.x
    > kernel. Is this true?

    A screenshot in a manual for 8.2 Personal edition (ISBN 3-899900-00-6, if
    anyone's interested) that I have shows 2.4.19 as the release, in a
    similar position to where I'd see the kernel version today in the KDE
    Control Center (sic). Not sure how accurate that is though, it's been a
    while since I had 8.2 on a working HD and other data in the book had been
    inaccurate from getting the CDs (mainly due to different key bindings)

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales

  7. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Stephan Bird wrote:-

    >A screenshot in a manual for 8.2 Personal edition (ISBN 3-899900-00-6, if
    >anyone's interested) that I have shows 2.4.19 as the release, in a
    >similar position to where I'd see the kernel version today in the KDE
    >Control Center (sic). Not sure how accurate that is though,

    It's not accurate. The screenshot was probably taken from an internal
    test version 8.2 before they did the feature-freeze. Most likely they
    updated the kernel and didn't bother to update all the screen-shots.

    >it's been a
    >while since I had 8.2 on a working HD and other data in the book had been
    >inaccurate from getting the CDs (mainly due to different key bindings)

    While I don't have 8.2 installed anywhere, I do still have the
    installation media for several releases. Starting from 8.1, since I
    don't know what's happened to the 8.0 media, and pre-8.0 isn't likely to
    be of interest, here's the details:

    SuSE 8.1 Professional came with 7 CDs and one DVD and has kernel version
    2.4.19 supplied in 5 different kernel packages:

    k_athlon-2.4.19-66;
    k_debug-2.4.19-35;
    k_deflt-2.4.19-74;
    k_psmp-2.4.19-70;
    k_smp-2.4.19-68.

    SuSE 8.2 Professional came with 5 CDs, one installation DVD and one
    sources DVD, and has kernel version 2.4.20 supplied in 4 different
    kernel packages:

    k_athlon-2.4.20-38;
    k_deflt-2.4.20-39;
    k_psmp-2.4.20-39;
    k_smp-2.4.20-40.

    SuSE 9.0 Professional came with 5 CDs and a double sided DVD with the
    installation system on one side and the sources on the other, has kernel
    version 2.4.21 supplied in 5 different packages:

    k_athlon-2.4.21-99;
    k_deflt-2.4.21-99;
    k_smp4G-2.4.21-99;
    k_smp-2.4.21-99;
    k_um-2.4.21-99.

    SuSE 9.1 Professional came with 5 CDs and two double sided DVDs. One DVD
    had the 32bit installation system on one side, and the 64bit
    installation on the other. The kernel version was 2.6.4 and supplied as:

    kernel_bigsmp-2.6.4-52;
    kernel_default-2.6.4-52;
    kernel_smp-2.6.4-52

    for the 32bit systems, and:

    kernel_default-2.6.4-52;
    kernel_smp-2.6.4-52

    for the 64bit systems.

    So, the OP can use upto SuSE 9.0 and be using a 2.4.x kernel.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  8. Re: where can i get SuSE distributions lower than version 9.3?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > So, the OP can use upto SuSE 9.0 and be using a 2.4.x kernel.

    And up to 6.0 if he only wants a 2.0 kernel. :-D

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

+ Reply to Thread