XGL screen update - Suse

This is a discussion on XGL screen update - Suse ; Hi, I want to install XGL on mé opensuse 10.3. I have an ATI X1400 card and followed the instructions for 3D acceleration etc, and all of this works perfectly (did the test with fgl_glxgears, glxinfo, ...). Then I turned ...

  1. XGL screen update

    Hi,

    I want to install XGL on mé opensuse 10.3. I have an ATI X1400 card
    and followed the instructions for 3D acceleration etc, and all of this
    works perfectly (did the test with fgl_glxgears, glxinfo, ...).

    Then I turned xgl on with gnome-xgl-switch --enable-xgl.
    But when I rebooted mé computer and logged in too my KDE, the effects
    I tested worked (ALT+TAB give me a tubnail picture of the active
    programs, ...), but when I type something in a terminal I can't see
    what I'm typing. I also see no results of the commands, but when I
    change to another window with ALT+TAB the content of the terminal
    window updates and I can see the command I typed and the results. It's
    the same case when I open a webbrowser or another graphical program.

    The problem is that KDE doesn't update the graphical screen until I
    use ALT+TAB or something (I guess this sends some signal to update the
    screen). Is their any method to fix this?

    Floris

  2. Re: XGL screen update

    blackd wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install XGL on mé opensuse 10.3. I have an ATI X1400 card
    > and followed the instructions for 3D acceleration etc, and all of this
    > works perfectly (did the test with fgl_glxgears, glxinfo, ...).
    >
    > Then I turned xgl on with gnome-xgl-switch --enable-xgl.
    > But when I rebooted mé computer and logged in too my KDE, the effects
    > I tested worked (ALT+TAB give me a tubnail picture of the active
    > programs, ...), but when I type something in a terminal I can't see
    > what I'm typing. I also see no results of the commands, but when I
    > change to another window with ALT+TAB the content of the terminal
    > window updates and I can see the command I typed and the results. It's
    > the same case when I open a webbrowser or another graphical program.
    >
    > The problem is that KDE doesn't update the graphical screen until I
    > use ALT+TAB or something (I guess this sends some signal to update the
    > screen). Is their any method to fix this?
    >
    > Floris

    I am having the same sort of problem with my Ati X740 card.
    I do get a graphical desktop, but no action with the mouse has any
    visible effect, until I oress Ctrl-Alt-Del and then Esc. Then the screen
    is refreshed and I see what I have done.
    The main question is: how do I change things back to my original
    setting?????

    Joost

  3. Re: XGL screen update

    On Nov 9, 12:08 am, Joost van der Waa
    wrote:
    > blackd wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I want to install XGL on mé opensuse 10.3. I have an ATI X1400 card
    > > and followed the instructions for 3D acceleration etc, and all of this
    > > works perfectly (did the test with fgl_glxgears, glxinfo, ...).

    > > Then I turned xgl on with gnome-xgl-switch --enable-xgl.
    > > But when I rebooted mé computer and logged in too my KDE, the effects
    > > I tested worked (ALT+TAB give me a tubnail picture of the active
    > > programs, ...), but when I type something in a terminal I can't see
    > > what I'm typing. I also see no results of the commands, but when I
    > > change to another window with ALT+TAB the content of the terminal
    > > window updates and I can see the command I typed and the results. It's
    > > the same case when I open a webbrowser or another graphical program.

    > > The problem is that KDE doesn't update the graphical screen until I
    > > use ALT+TAB or something (I guess this sends some signal to update the
    > > screen). Is their any method to fix this?

    > > Floris

    > I am having the same sort of problem with my Ati X740 card.
    > I do get a graphical desktop, but no action with the mouse has any
    > visible effect, until I oress Ctrl-Alt-Del and then Esc. Then the screen
    > is refreshed and I see what I have done.
    > The main question is: how do I change things back to my original
    > setting?????
    >
    > Joost

    I got back to original settings by using gnome-xgl-switch --disable-xgl

+ Reply to Thread