Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3 - Suse ; Juergen Kluth wrote: > Hi > i tried to create a grub boot disk. > > the mounting of the floppy / disk works > if i check this with a "mount", the drive / disk is listed with the ...

  1. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    Juergen Kluth wrote:
    > Hi
    > i tried to create a grub boot disk.
    >
    > the mounting of the floppy / disk works
    > if i check this with a "mount", the drive / disk is listed with the detected
    > "vfat" filesystem followed with (rw) accessibility.
    >
    > when mounted and when creating a directory with
    > mkdir -p /media/floppy/boot/grub (/media/floppy is my mountpoint)
    > i (both times) have activity on the drive, and is signaled by the LED
    >
    > when i try to copy file to this directory it fails : nor activity on the
    > drive
    > but if i check the directory with a filemanager (or so) the copied files are
    > listed)
    >
    > if i then try to unmount the disk, it all ends up with NO activity But a
    > steady burning LED
    >
    > any hints ?
    >
    > Thanx jk
    >

    > danke jk

    What's a floppy drive?

  2. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:45:11 -0500, Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:

    > What's a floppy drive?

    It's what we used to save files on when our computers were still
    steam-driven.

  3. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:45:11 -0500, Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    >
    >> What's a floppy drive?

    > It's what we used to save files on when our computers were still
    > steam-driven.

    Back then I had several programs on one floppy disk, and one floppy was
    good for a month's worth of documents. Now I get emails with attached
    documents > 10MiB every day.

  4. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:08:24 +0100, Andreas wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:45:11 -0500, Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's a floppy drive?

    >> It's what we used to save files on when our computers were still
    >> steam-driven.

    > Back then I had several programs on one floppy disk, and one floppy was
    > good for a month's worth of documents. Now I get emails with attached
    > documents > 10MiB every day.

    There is a book on my shelf that I wrote in the decade before this one,
    using emacs, LaTeX, dvivga, and an ePS capable drawing program. I still
    have the entire source for the book on a floppy in my desk drawer. The
    floppy has over a MB of free space.

    And it was written on a 386 with 8MB of RAM and a 40MB hard disk....

  5. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    In <47331c40$1_5@news.bluewin.ch> Mark South:

    [Snip...]

    > And it was written on a 386 with 8MB of RAM and a 40MB hard disk....

    Chrissie wants to know if anything MISSION CRITICAL was involved.

  6. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:02:55 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <47331c40$1_5@news.bluewin.ch> Mark South:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> And it was written on a 386 with 8MB of RAM and a 40MB hard disk....

    > Chrissie wants to know if anything MISSION CRITICAL was involved.

    Damn! Good catch. I totally forgot to mention that particular
    adjectival phrase.

    M.
    --
    Signature status: Mission Critical

  7. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    Mark South wrote:
    >On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:08:24 +0100, Andreas wrote:

    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> It's what we used to save files on when our computers were still
    >>> steam-driven.

    >> Back then I had several programs on one floppy disk, and one floppy was
    >> good for a month's worth of documents. Now I get emails with attached
    >> documents > 10MiB every day.

    >There is a book on my shelf that I wrote in the decade before this one,
    >using emacs, LaTeX, dvivga, and an ePS capable drawing program. I still
    >have the entire source for the book on a floppy in my desk drawer. The
    >floppy has over a MB of free space.

    >And it was written on a 386 with 8MB of RAM and a 40MB hard disk....

    Bloatware? Can you say "bloatware?"

    Everybody is guilty of it.

    Once upon a time AT&T Unix (the real stuff) ran on a machine
    (not Intel) with a 74 MEGAbyte hard drive. That included the
    entire operating system, compilers, Troff (no TeX back then),
    utilities such as vi, grep, tar, etc., etc., and not only plenty
    of room for user space but a spare partition as well.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: probs with floppy drive 10.3

    Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:

    > Juergen Kluth wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> i tried to create a grub boot disk.
    >>
    >> the mounting of the floppy / disk works
    >> if i check this with a "mount", the drive / disk is listed with the
    >> detected "vfat" filesystem followed with (rw) accessibility.
    >>
    >> when mounted and when creating a directory with
    >> mkdir -p /media/floppy/boot/grub (/media/floppy is my mountpoint)
    >> i (both times) have activity on the drive, and is signaled by the LED
    >>
    >> when i try to copy file to this directory it fails : nor activity on the
    >> drive
    >> but if i check the directory with a filemanager (or so) the copied files
    >> are listed)
    >>
    >> if i then try to unmount the disk, it all ends up with NO activity But a
    >> steady burning LED
    >>
    >> any hints ?
    >>
    >> Thanx jk
    >>

    >> danke jk
    >>

    > What's a floppy drive?

    So rather than all this laughing about legacy - and I was using micros (Ohio
    Scientific, Inc) when the only drives were 8 inch floppies. I still have a
    system that is running a Win only package on a laptop that has ONLY floppy
    as an exchange medium. No USB, LAN, CD, etc., and I have to back things up
    at least weekly and can only do so with a floppy. That laptop is not
    usefull for anything else, and I can't even install a decent OS on it. It
    has to be done through the floppy!

    And, on two different 10.3 systems with what were working floppy drives with
    10.2, I have to resort to manual, root based, mounts and often get device
    busy. And then I have to change the ownership of files after copying them
    over. I'm tempted to eliminate all all auto-mount software (including
    USB - too flaky) and write script files to manage removeable media.

+ Reply to Thread