OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD - Suse ; The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been released: http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489 Only 32 bit versions are available. Try "linux" for the root password. I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except ...

  1. OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD

    The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    released:

    http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489

    Only 32 bit versions are available.

    Try "linux" for the root password.

    I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)

    --
    Virg Wall

  2. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD

    VWWall wrote:

    > The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    > released:
    >
    > http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >
    > Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >
    > Try "linux" for the root password.
    >
    > I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    > on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    > partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)

    Does it do the scan for problems that the normal installation > repair of
    10.2 did (and 10.3 crashes on)?

  3. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD

    John Bowling wrote:
    > VWWall wrote:
    >
    >> The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    >> released:
    >>
    >> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >>
    >> Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >>
    >> Try "linux" for the root password.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    >> on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    >> partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)
    >>

    > Does it do the scan for problems that the normal installation > repair of
    > 10.2 did (and 10.3 crashes on)?

    It did not show any problems when run. It found my on-board video and
    set it to my LCD monitors correct resolution. The indications to the HD
    partitions are links. The supplied version of Firefox ran correctly on
    the on-board ethernet chip. I haven't tried the install provision, not
    having an extra unused partition. I have found that earlier versions of
    SUSE got confused when trying an install to a system with other Linux or
    Windows already installed. Correcting menu.lst fixed this problem.

    --
    Virg Wall

  4. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD [Showstopper, again]

    VWWall wrote:
    > The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    > released:
    >
    > http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >
    > Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >
    > Try "linux" for the root password.
    >
    > I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    > on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    > partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)

    My goodness, such fine work goes into these products. I love them, want
    to show them off and get other people interested, too. But the brakes
    come to a screeching halt, yet again, due to a minor but important
    oversight....

    One great idea was to make it easy to add multimedia support with the
    community repositories and the one-click updates. That was a welcome
    feature of the DVD install (I suppose I need to check the KDE and Gnome
    CD installs now, too) but someone left a corrupted URL in the
    configuration file for the community repositories. The Live CD does not
    offer you the chance to add them during the install (just as well...)
    and the YaST link to add them is now broken, so it will not work at all.

    How about a Live CD Remastered Edition?

    P.S. The fix is here:
    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00883.html

  5. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD [Showstopper, again]

    Usenet Reader wrote:

    > VWWall wrote:
    >> The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    >> released:
    >>
    >> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >>
    >> Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >>
    >> Try "linux" for the root password.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    >> on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    >> partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)
    >>

    > My goodness, such fine work goes into these products. I love them, want
    > to show them off and get other people interested, too. But the brakes
    > come to a screeching halt, yet again, due to a minor but important
    > oversight....
    >
    > One great idea was to make it easy to add multimedia support with the
    > community repositories and the one-click updates. That was a welcome
    > feature of the DVD install (I suppose I need to check the KDE and Gnome
    > CD installs now, too) but someone left a corrupted URL in the
    > configuration file for the community repositories. The Live CD does not
    > offer you the chance to add them during the install (just as well...)
    > and the YaST link to add them is now broken, so it will not work at all.
    >
    > How about a Live CD Remastered Edition?

    I used the KDE Live CD and installed from that. The live CD is great, as
    you say, and I had no problem accessing some of the Yast parts, including
    the update repo's. In point of fact, there was no use in trying to add
    them as the installation offered NO choice of software during the
    installation. It added the update repo but the additional repos beyond the
    OSS/NONOSS ones and the update would have been useless in any case - no
    chance to specify anything beyond the live CD stuff was available during
    installation. Once the installation completed, the community repo were
    available from the Yast menu. FWIW, I was able to logon as root with no
    password while running the CD but the install asked for passwords and
    allowed other users to be added at that time.

    Minor quibble for me: no chance to setup any of the network parameters
    during install so I had to root around to find the spot to change the
    machine name (hostid) and sort out multiple interfaces after installation
    was complete. For some reason, the net configuration came up with the
    firewall enabled and all adapters assigned to filter everything. That made
    any net ops problematic until I reset the eth0 to use on external ops only.

    I skipped updates during install because of another issue I was tracking re.
    kernel versions and didn't even try the update until I had finished messing
    with that. Thanks for the pointer.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD [Showstopper, again]

    Usenet Reader wrote:

    >One great idea was to make it easy to add multimedia support with the
    >community repositories and the one-click updates. That was a welcome
    >feature of the DVD install (I suppose I need to check the KDE and Gnome
    >CD installs now, too) but someone left a corrupted URL in the
    >configuration file for the community repositories. The Live CD does not
    >offer you the chance to add them during the install (just as well...)
    >and the YaST link to add them is now broken, so it will not work at all.

    >How about a Live CD Remastered Edition?

    >P.S. The fix is here:
    >http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00883.html

    I had the same problem with installing from the 32 bit Live
    CD. I will try the fix tomorrow.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD [Showstopper, again]

    Usenet Reader wrote:
    >VWWall wrote:
    >> The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    >> released:
    >>
    >> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >>
    >> Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >>
    >> Try "linux" for the root password.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    >> on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    >> partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)
    >>

    >My goodness, such fine work goes into these products. I love them, want
    >to show them off and get other people interested, too. But the brakes
    >come to a screeching halt, yet again, due to a minor but important
    >oversight....

    >One great idea was to make it easy to add multimedia support with the
    >community repositories and the one-click updates. That was a welcome
    >feature of the DVD install (I suppose I need to check the KDE and Gnome
    >CD installs now, too) but someone left a corrupted URL in the
    >configuration file for the community repositories. The Live CD does not
    >offer you the chance to add them during the install (just as well...)
    >and the YaST link to add them is now broken, so it will not work at all.

    >How about a Live CD Remastered Edition?

    >P.S. The fix is here:
    >http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00883.html

    I'm sorry to revisit this. But the instructions are thata the
    fix is:

    I quote from

    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00923.html

    posted by Stanislav Visnovsky:

    *************

    http://download.opensuse.org/YaST/Re...03_Servers.xml

    Yes. If you manually edit /etc/YaST2/control.xml and put there this URL, the
    module should work for you.

    **************

    Does anyone know WHERE do you put this URL? There is no other URL
    in this form in the entire /etc/YaST2/control.xml file. There is no
    section to put it in.

    Or am I the only one to have this problem too?

    Sorry to be so grouchy, but I have been trying to get a working
    10.3 installation for two weeks now.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: OpenSuse 10.3 Live CD [Showstopper, again]

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Usenet Reader wrote:
    >>VWWall wrote:
    >>> The final versions of SUSE 10.3 in both Gnome and KDE editions have been
    >>> released:
    >>>
    >>> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=489
    >>>
    >>> Only 32 bit versions are available.
    >>>
    >>> Try "linux" for the root password.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried the install yet, but it found all hardware except for an
    >>> on-board audio chip. It shows all of my four Windows and ten Linux
    >>> partitions. It might make a good rescue disk for Windows in trouble! ;-)
    >>>

    >>My goodness, such fine work goes into these products. I love them, want
    >>to show them off and get other people interested, too. But the brakes
    >>come to a screeching halt, yet again, due to a minor but important
    >>oversight....

    >>One great idea was to make it easy to add multimedia support with the
    >>community repositories and the one-click updates. That was a welcome
    >>feature of the DVD install (I suppose I need to check the KDE and Gnome
    >>CD installs now, too) but someone left a corrupted URL in the
    >>configuration file for the community repositories. The Live CD does not
    >>offer you the chance to add them during the install (just as well...)
    >>and the YaST link to add them is now broken, so it will not work at all.

    >>How about a Live CD Remastered Edition?

    >>P.S. The fix is here:
    >>http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00883.html

    > I'm sorry to revisit this. But the instructions are thata the
    > fix is:
    >
    > I quote from
    >
    > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00923.html
    >
    > posted by Stanislav Visnovsky:
    >
    > *************
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/YaST/Re...03_Servers.xml
    >
    > Yes. If you manually edit /etc/YaST2/control.xml and put there this URL,
    > the module should work for you.
    >
    > **************
    >
    > Does anyone know WHERE do you put this URL? There is no other URL
    > in this form in the entire /etc/YaST2/control.xml file. There is no
    > section to put it in.
    >
    > Or am I the only one to have this problem too?
    >
    > Sorry to be so grouchy, but I have been trying to get a working
    > 10.3 installation for two weeks now.

    In /etc/YaST2/control.xml, look for the tag and
    replace the URL that is in there now with this correct one. *You'll have to
    do this as root or change permissions to write the changes.

    --
    Will Honea