/ and /home partition during install. - Suse

This is a discussion on / and /home partition during install. - Suse ; I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE with a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new release ...

  1. / and /home partition during install.

    I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition
    for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE
    with a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new
    release of openSUSE how do I preserve the /home partition. Do I have
    to do an upgrade or a can I do a fresh install and just tell the
    installer not to format /home? If I do the fresh install, will the
    hidden files in /home be changed to the new version if necessary?
    Is there a how-to on this.? Thank you all.
    Bob

  2. Re: / and /home partition during install.

    Bob Howard writes:

    >I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition
    >for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE
    >with a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new
    >release of openSUSE how do I preserve the /home partition. Do I have

    Just don't change it.

    >to do an upgrade or a can I do a fresh install and just tell the
    >installer not to format /home? If I do the fresh install, will the

    Sure, just do a fresh install onto the partition that previously contained
    /.

    >hidden files in /home be changed to the new version if necessary?

    What hidden files? NO files in /home will be changed. None.

    >Is there a how-to on this.? Thank you all.

    HOWTO:
    Just do it.
    End of HOWTO

    >Bob

  3. Re: / and /home partition during install.

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Bob Howard wrote:-

    >I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition
    >for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE
    >with a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new
    >release of openSUSE how do I preserve the /home partition.

    By not formatting it.

    >Do I have
    >to do an upgrade or a can I do a fresh install and just tell the
    >installer not to format /home?

    You can do either. Depending on the version you're wanting to upgrade,
    how confident you are, and what third-party packages you've installed,
    an upgrade could be quite easy, or it could be quite time consuming
    and/or a pain in the rear[0].

    Since you said it's an installation of openSUSE, I guess you mean you
    have 10.2 installed and want to upgrade it to openSUSE 10.3. That should
    work quite well, as long as you haven't installed too much in the way of
    third-party packages.

    >If I do the fresh install, will the
    >hidden files in /home be changed to the new version if necessary?

    No. The installation system won't touch anything in /home . Any changes
    will occur the first time you run a program where the configuration has
    changed due to a change of version.

    >Is there a how-to on this.?

    Probably. And even if there wasn't, there is one here with a nice
    selection of screen-shots:

    >Thank you all.
    >Bob

    [0] This shows what I had to do when I did a large version jump, going
    from SUSE 10.0 to openSUSE 10.3. While it was quite time-consuming, it
    wasn't really that hard to do, and the results are a fully working 10.3
    box:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  4. Re: / and /home partition during install.

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:38:08 -0800, Bob Howard wrote:

    > I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition
    > for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE with
    > a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new release
    > of openSUSE how do I preserve the /home partition. Do I have to do an
    > upgrade or a can I do a fresh install and just tell the installer not to
    > format /home? If I do the fresh install, will the hidden files in /home
    > be changed to the new version if necessary? Is there a how-to on this.?
    > Thank you all. Bob

    Just do NOT format it.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  5. Re: / and /home partition during install.

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>Is there a how-to on this.?

    >Probably. And even if there wasn't, there is one here with a nice
    >selection of screen-shots:
    >

    >>Thank you all.
    >>Bob

    >[0] This shows what I had to do when I did a large version jump, going
    >from SUSE 10.0 to openSUSE 10.3. While it was quite time-consuming, it
    >wasn't really that hard to do, and the results are a fully working 10.3
    >box:
    >

    >Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Thank you all for the help. Especially David Bolt. Exactly what I
    needed.
    Bob

  6. Re: / and /home partition during install.

    On 2007-11-07, Bob Howard wrote:
    > I understand that there is an advantage to having a separate partition
    > for /home. My question is.. If I have an installation of openSUSE
    > with a / partition and a /home partition and I want to install a new
    > release of openSUSE how do I preserve the /home partition. Do I have
    > to do an upgrade or a can I do a fresh install and just tell the
    > installer not to format /home? If I do the fresh install, will the
    > hidden files in /home be changed to the new version if necessary?
    > Is there a how-to on this.? Thank you all.
    > Bob

    Don't recall what 10.2 does, BUT in 10.3 doing a fresh install select
    the item that says somewhat "use the following(?) as the base for
    partitioning" & the current partitioning will be displayed.

    Select the /home partition as the partition for NOT formatting (better
    do a "df | lpr" first to printout the partition designation, just in case
    one forgets.

    Have / to be formatted as well as the /swap.

    In my case, I always select "/usr/local (now /local" & "/home" as the
    partitions to remain while "/", "/usr" & "/swap" are to be formatted for
    the fresh install.; works nicely for me; the "hidden .xx" stuff stays
    in the /home asis.

    Ver 10.3, changed the wording in setting up the partitions & I had
    to do some selection of the possibilities to find what I wanted to
    do like "the old days"; could be that I switched from the 32-bit to
    the 64-bit version tho.

    If you use the same user name(s), the install will prompt if you want
    it to remain but with a "different owner" (whatever that does....).

+ Reply to Thread