Adding a Second Hard Drive - Suse

This is a discussion on Adding a Second Hard Drive - Suse ; need some help please , i would like to add a second hard drive , i am running 10.3 and Gnome thanks...

  1. Adding a Second Hard Drive

    need some help please , i would like to add a second hard drive , i am
    running 10.3 and Gnome

    thanks

  2. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    "Al Cooper" wrote in message
    > need some help please , i would like to add a second hard drive , i am
    > running 10.3 and Gnome

    Assuming this is a second PATA drive. For SATA or SATA/PATA combinations,
    your drive may not be "/dev/hdb"

    - Look at your current /dev directory "ls /dev" . You want to take note of
    what "hd" and "sd" devices you have.
    - Plug the new drive in and start the PC
    - Look at your /dev directory again and look for new "hd" or "sd" devices.
    The new device should be your new drive.
    - You can see what drives are currently already in use using the "mount"
    command
    - Use fdisk to create a partition "fdisk /dev/hdb"
    - Make the file system "mkfs /dev/hdb1"
    - Create a mount point for the new drive "mkdir /mnt/newdisk"
    - Mount the disk "mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newdisk"
    - Use the drive!

    Edit the /etc/fstab file if you want to automatically have the new drive
    available at each boot.

    See the man page for each of these commands for more details.

  3. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Noozer wrote:-

    >"Al Cooper" wrote in message
    >> need some help please , i would like to add a second hard drive , i am
    >> running 10.3 and Gnome

    >Assuming this is a second PATA drive. For SATA or SATA/PATA combinations,
    >your drive may not be "/dev/hdb"

    With 10.3, if the installation used the default libata, it certainly
    won't be /dev/hdb. It is, however, somewhere between very likely and
    absolutely certainly to be /dev/sdb.

    >Edit the /etc/fstab file if you want to automatically have the new drive
    >available at each boot.
    >
    >See the man page for each of these commands for more details.

    Alternatively, use the YaST -> System -> Partitioner and do the
    partitioning under that. Apart from anything else, the partitioner will
    show up which partitions are already mounted and so make it much easier
    to _not_ delete a wanted partition.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  4. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    David Bolt wrote:

    > With 10.3, if the installation used the default libata, it certainly
    > won't be /dev/hdb. It is, however, somewhere between very likely and
    > absolutely certainly to be /dev/sdb.

    If it's currently SATA only as sda there seems to be a pretty good chance
    that adding a PATA drive will enumerate the PATA drive as sda and the SATA
    (current sda) device as sdb. BTDT - a real pain to sort out the shift in
    disk position. Saving grace is the device ID definition 10.3 uses for
    mounting at boot time - that gives you some hope of sorting things out if
    you can coax the BIOS into booting from whichever drive you want.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    Will Honea wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >> With 10.3, if the installation used the default libata, it certainly
    >> won't be /dev/hdb. It is, however, somewhere between very likely and
    >> absolutely certainly to be /dev/sdb.

    > If it's currently SATA only as sda there seems to be a pretty good chance
    > that adding a PATA drive will enumerate the PATA drive as sda and the SATA
    > (current sda) device as sdb. BTDT - a real pain to sort out the shift in
    > disk position. Saving grace is the device ID definition 10.3 uses for
    > mounting at boot time - that gives you some hope of sorting things out if
    > you can coax the BIOS into booting from whichever drive you want.

    Yeah, it sucks the way they did it. I had standard hda and hdb for
    installation. e.g. 10.2 rund from hdb and so I had hda available.

    hde and hdf are my data partitions. (hdc and hdd dvd players)

    So imagine my srprise that when I booted 10.3, it asked if it was
    allowed to format hda to use. Yeah, I thought, they have it right. Then
    I looked and saw that that was actualy my current hde and that the drive
    I wanted was sda.

    So now I have sda, sdb, hda and hdb. All are IDE drives.

    Abviously this is only of concern when installing, but it had nearly
    cost me all of my data. Sucks big time.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  6. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    On 2007-11-06 23:12, Al Cooper wrote:
    > need some help please , i would like to add a second hard drive , i am
    > running 10.3 and Gnome
    >
    > thanks

    Use Yast partitioning if you don't know how to do it.

    /bb

  7. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Noozer View Post
    "Al Cooper" wrote in message
    Edit the /etc/fstab file if you want to automatically have the new drive
    available at each boot.

    See the man page for each of these commands for more details.
    I was following the directions up until this point. I am unsure of what to add to the fstab file to have it available at boot. Could you please elaborate this step?

    Thank you for the help that you have given thus far.

  8. Re: Adding a Second Hard Drive

    My laptop is about 4 years old and I have defragmented and run Scan Disk. My hard drive light is almost always blinking as if the hard drive is working even when the computer is idle. It never used to do this before. I did a quick restore to restore the operating system and all the software that came originally with the computer hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't. The hard drive light seems to always be on as if the hard drive is busy doing something and the computer is responding very slugishly.

+ Reply to Thread