Graphics Card - Suse

This is a discussion on Graphics Card - Suse ; Have a MSI K9N6GM mother board that the on-board video operates in frame buffer mode. This sets the video at one resolution and does not allow changes. Also it does not allow positioning the X-window. Therefore, I am looking for ...

  1. Graphics Card

    Have a MSI K9N6GM mother board that the on-board video operates in frame
    buffer mode. This sets the video at one resolution and does not allow
    changes. Also it does not allow positioning the X-window. Therefore, I am
    looking for recommendations for a video card. This MB has a PCI X1 and a
    PCI X16 slots. There is a note that this MB does not support ATI X550,
    X800, X850 and X1800XL series graphic cards, so these are out.
    Looking for recommendations for a linux compatible graphic card for this
    computer. I am running Suse 10.2.

    Paul T.

    --
    The only dumb question, is the one not asked

    http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

  2. Re: Graphics Card

    PHT wrote:
    > Have a MSI K9N6GM mother board that the on-board video operates in frame
    > buffer mode. This sets the video at one resolution and does not allow
    > changes. Also it does not allow positioning the X-window. Therefore, I am
    > looking for recommendations for a video card. This MB has a PCI X1 and a
    > PCI X16 slots. There is a note that this MB does not support ATI X550,
    > X800, X850 and X1800XL series graphic cards, so these are out.
    > Looking for recommendations for a linux compatible graphic card for this
    > computer. I am running Suse 10.2.
    >
    > Paul T.

    I am using a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT PCI Express card on an MSI K8N Neo4
    motherboard without problems. A lot more graphics card than what I
    actually need, so I am happy with it.

  3. Re: Graphics Card

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > PHT wrote:
    >> Have a MSI K9N6GM mother board that the on-board video operates in frame
    >> buffer mode. This sets the video at one resolution and does not allow
    >> changes. Also it does not allow positioning the X-window. Therefore, I am
    >> looking for recommendations for a video card. This MB has a PCI X1 and a
    >> PCI X16 slots. There is a note that this MB does not support ATI X550,
    >> X800, X850 and X1800XL series graphic cards, so these are out.
    >> Looking for recommendations for a linux compatible graphic card for this
    >> computer. I am running Suse 10.2.

    If you are not interested in graphically demanding 3D games (Quake 4 and
    friends), a very cheap NVidia 6600GT will do nicely.

    For games, it has to be at least an NVidia 7900 series (a 7900GTX will
    do nicely). It's also not very expensive these days.

    I'm not sure if the latest generation NVidia cards (8600 and 8800
    series) run on Linux.

    I recommend staying away from ATi. I have an ATi X1950XT and the
    quality of the drivers is unbelievably crappy (it's like they actually
    made an effort to make it as crappy as possible).

+ Reply to Thread