Pronouncation of Suse - Suse

This is a discussion on Pronouncation of Suse - Suse ; Hi all, Help settle an fun argument. Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said? Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name? Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect? Or maybe it's neither?? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Pronouncation of Suse

    Hi all,

    Help settle an fun argument.

    Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?

    Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?

    Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?

    Or maybe it's neither??

    Cheers,

    toe

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  2. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    What a great question!
    And a new one, too, it's never been asked before.

    Google gives 70.800 hits on that.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  3. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?

    Yes, I can. You don't say it at all. You say openSUSE. ;-)

    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?

    That depends on how you pronounce Suzy. And then there is also Suze
    Randall, which is again something completely different.

    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?

    Depends again on how you pronounce that.

    > Or maybe it's neither??

    It all depends to me on the language I am using it in. Even houghi has
    at least two different pronouciations:
    http://houghi.org/Fun/houghi_nl.wav
    http://houghi.org/Fun/houghi_uk.wav

    And while we are at it: http://houghi.org/Fun/torvalds-says-linux.mp3

    And as an extra: http://houghi.org/Fun/h2g2_sample.mp3

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  4. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??

    I always used it's original pronunciation (German). "Suze", with an "e"
    like in "the". So it's "open suze" for me. Others seems to prefer
    "open sus" though.

  5. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:19:09 +0000, Toedipper wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    what I've heard before from some of the materials packaged with one of
    their releases sounded more like sus-eh. Long u - short eh.

  6. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    The original German pronunciation sounds like "Zoo-zeh" as a German S makes
    what we cwould onsider a Z sound and they pretty much pronounce all of
    their vowels.

  7. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper schrieb:

    [SuSE]

    [Software- und Systementwicklung]

    hth

    Doppel-R
    --
    |- Suzuki GSX-R 750 '01 - Kawasaki ZR 750 C '91 - Gilera FXR 1xx Runner '00 -|
    |-------"DEPPATA!... Des gheat so!" -- Wolfgang (C) afm-ST am 24.10.98-------|

  8. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Wikipedia has a note on that. I haven't checked whether the source is
    authentic though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suse (Almost at the top of the page)

    Quoted;

    SUSE (pronounced IPA: /╦łsu╦Éz╔Ö/, properly (in German), "ZOO-zai", loosely
    "SOO-sai" [1] in English) is a major retail Linux distribution, produced
    in Germany and owned by Novell, Inc. SUSE is also a founding member of
    the Desktop Linux Consortium.

    Unquoted:

    Cheers Bob

    Toedipper wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?

  9. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    I call it Suse (sue-see)

  10. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    > I call it Suse (sue-see)

    I call it openSUSE or SLES or SLED. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  11. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    On 2007-11-05 19:19, Toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    I guess I say it the way I think you say Suzy , at least
    to the y part, whatever that came from.
    The last e has the same sound as e in Help, but even that
    can sound different depending on who say it.

    But why say it?, just use it, or at least openSUSE.

    (open has also that e , not opyn , opin or something)

    /bb

  12. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    OpenSUSE

    oh-pen-SOO-zuh

  13. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    birre wrote:
    > But why say it?, just use it, or at least openSUSE.
    >
    > (open has also that e , not opyn , opin or something)

    When I have a cold, I pronounce it as "opmmm".

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  14. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    Toedipper wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?

    Pronouncation: Do you mean pronuncation ?

    For my old ears suse sounds almost like sushi (using alsa) ;-)

    Ralph

  15. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    How about "soozer"?

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:19:09 +0000, Toedipper wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Help settle an fun argument.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?
    >
    > Is it said like 'suzy' as in the girls name?
    >
    > Or is it pronounced 'Sus' as in suspect?
    >
    > Or maybe it's neither??
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  16. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:53:49 +0100, Ralph Jud wrote:

    >Toedipper wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how exactly the word Suse is said?

    >Pronouncation: Do you mean pronuncation ?
    >
    >For my old ears suse sounds almost like sushi (using alsa) ;-)
    >
    >Ralph

    You also spelled it incorrectly. It is pronunciation.

    I say it as sounding just like sushi with the "s" sound instead of the
    "sh" sound.

  17. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    On 2007-11-06 14:09, Noozer wrote:
    > OpenSUSE
    >
    > oh-pen-SOO-zuh

    Haha , you Americans are so funny, you give an example that don't help
    a bit since I have no clue of your pronunciation of "oh-pen-SOO-zuh" .

    Remember SUSE is a German trademark, so you must follow their pronunciation
    of written text, but are free to say it as you like, but then it is your
    local thing, and not _the_ answer.

    It's like the word linux that can be twisted so much that once when an
    American asked me if I know anything about Linux I answered no first,
    since I thought he said something else.

    The strange thing is that i is not AAAYYYY in words like
    in,things,is,like,windows so why should in Linux ?

    The difference is from where the word comes.

    /bb

  18. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    birre wrote:
    > On 2007-11-06 14:09, Noozer wrote:
    >> OpenSUSE
    >>
    >> oh-pen-SOO-zuh
    >>

    > Haha , you Americans are so funny

    They have a national spelling contest in the U.S.

    The winner the other year was the only person in America who could spell
    "ratatouille"

    , you give an example that don't help
    > a bit since I have no clue of your pronunciation of "oh-pen-SOO-zuh" .
    >
    > Remember SUSE is a German trademark, so you must follow their pronunciation
    > of written text, but are free to say it as you like, but then it is your
    > local thing, and not _the_ answer.
    >
    > It's like the word linux that can be twisted so much that once when an
    > American asked me if I know anything about Linux I answered no first,
    > since I thought he said something else.
    >
    > The strange thing is that i is not AAAYYYY in words like
    > in,things,is,like,windows so why should in Linux ?

    Here's how Linus pronounces Linux:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/English/Sounds/swedish.au

    > The difference is from where the word comes.

    Linus came from Vaasa area,Finland. He is Swedish speaking though

    To be more accurate, bi-lingual, like many of us here.

    He first coded Linux while studying in the University of Helsinki.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  19. Re: Pronouncation of Suse

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:16:36 +0200, Vahis
    wrote:

    >birre wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-06 14:09, Noozer wrote:
    >>> OpenSUSE
    >>>
    >>> oh-pen-SOO-zuh
    >>>

    >> Haha , you Americans are so funny

    >They have a national spelling contest in the U.S.
    >
    >The winner the other year was the only person in America who could spell
    >"ratatouille"
    >
    >, you give an example that don't help
    >> a bit since I have no clue of your pronunciation of "oh-pen-SOO-zuh" .
    >>
    >> Remember SUSE is a German trademark, so you must follow their pronunciation
    >> of written text, but are free to say it as you like, but then it is your
    >> local thing, and not _the_ answer.
    >>
    >> It's like the word linux that can be twisted so much that once when an
    >> American asked me if I know anything about Linux I answered no first,
    >> since I thought he said something else.
    >>
    >> The strange thing is that i is not AAAYYYY in words like
    >> in,things,is,like,windows so why should in Linux ?

    >Here's how Linus pronounces Linux:
    >
    >http://waxborg.servepics.com/English/Sounds/swedish.au

    DEAD LINK ^^^^

    http://mostlylinux.ca/pronounce/