Trying to come back to SuSE - Suse

This is a discussion on Trying to come back to SuSE - Suse ; I realize posting from Google will mean hitting some killfiles, but it's the best I can do for now. I've been away from SuSE for awhile and I'm doing my homework to catch up. I've already perused the Wiki and ...

  1. Trying to come back to SuSE

    I realize posting from Google will mean hitting some killfiles, but
    it's the best I can do for now. I've been away from SuSE for awhile
    and I'm doing my homework to catch up. I've already perused the Wiki
    and Knowledge Base, so I know the means exist to make it highly likely
    I can get the latest OpenSuSE running on my "new" Dell Latitude D505.
    The only thing I can't do quickly is scan the mood of the helpers here
    regarding some issues I expect to face:

    1. ACPI: I rely on this a great deal, particularly S3 and S4. Do we
    have some folks with a fair amount of experience and interest in Dell
    laptops and ACPI debugging?

    2. Wireless: I'm not too worried about this with SuSE, just expecting
    to face a bit of work. My onboard chipset is Broadcom 4306 (rev. 03).
    I'd be happy even using Ndiswrapper. I also have access to an Atheros
    5212-based pccard. Hopefully I won't have to mess with the rt73-based
    USB stick. I've got the rest of this week with all-day wired ethernet
    access before it simply has to work.

    3. Kernel: Unless there's something I've missed in the SuSE docs, to
    get a decent resolution on the console with Intel graphics chips, I'll
    need to compile the intelfb directly into the kernel. The developer
    says himself it won't load with LCD screens otherwise. I really do
    expect to run from the console some. I'm going to need a bit of
    handholding on kernel config, because I've never touched it before.
    I'm thinking I'll deal with this later when everything else works, and
    if I'm going to bother at all, I might as well learn how to trim the
    fat to fit it directly to my system.

    Help me get XP off this thing.

    Some of you may remember me, and I can't guess whether that helps or
    hurts... How ya doing, houghi?

    Ed Hurst

  2. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    On 2007-11-05, br073n@gmail.com wrote:
    > I realize posting from Google will mean hitting some killfiles, but
    > it's the best I can do for now. I've been away from SuSE for awhile
    > and I'm doing my homework to catch up. I've already perused the Wiki
    > and Knowledge Base, so I know the means exist to make it highly likely
    > I can get the latest OpenSuSE running on my "new" Dell Latitude D505.
    > The only thing I can't do quickly is scan the mood of the helpers here
    > regarding some issues I expect to face:

    Quick advice: just try it first.
    You might actually not hit any problems, at all. Or less than you might
    think. I have had a few DELL models recently, they all work rather well.

    Remember the main moto for anything technical:
    " If it ain't broken, don't fix it ! "

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    On Nov 5, 5:08 pm, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > > and Knowledge Base, so I know the means exist to make it highly likely
    > > I can get the latest OpenSuSE running on my "new" Dell Latitude D505.
    > > The only thing I can't do quickly is scan the mood of the helpers here
    > > regarding some issues I expect to face:

    > Quick advice: just try it first.
    > You might actually not hit any problems, at all. Or less than you might
    > think. I have had a few DELL models recently, they all work rather well.

    Thank you.

    Just getting something other than silence or a curt dismissal is
    enough. I have no doubt any of several distros might work on this
    machine, but getting any help at all is what makes one distro more
    valuable than the next. I've gotten a lot of silence from other
    places.

    Ed Hurst

  4. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    As a follow-up report:

    One bad issue: During the hardware config when YaST is configuring the X
    server, just touching the touchpad freezes the whole thing, and requires a
    reboot. As long as I kept my hands away, things went fine.

    Good things: To my utter amazement, I got a 1024x768 console framebuffer.
    SUSE is the only one to do that. Also, suspend-to-RAM works perfectly on
    lid close. I'll be testing hibernate later when I have time, but I'm
    perfectly happy with just S3 working. I haven't had a chance to test any
    wireless, but I'm confident.

    Thanks, Novell-SUSE, for bringing me back home.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  5. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    On 2007-11-06, Ed Hurst wrote:
    > One bad issue: During the hardware config when YaST is configuring the X
    > server, just touching the touchpad freezes the whole thing, and requires a
    > reboot. As long as I kept my hands away, things went fine.

    Weel, just remember to keep your hand away. :-)

    Maybe you could check if other bios settings for that touchpad would change
    this behaviour. I'd even go as far as to disable it completely. Might be
    SUSE detects it and enables it after config.

    > Good things: To my utter amazement, I got a 1024x768 console framebuffer.
    > SUSE is the only one to do that. Also, suspend-to-RAM works perfectly on
    > lid close. I'll be testing hibernate later when I have time, but I'm
    > perfectly happy with just S3 working. I haven't had a chance to test any
    > wireless, but I'm confident.

    See? Even good things can happen to those who just close their eyes and jump
    in. :-)

    > Thanks, Novell-SUSE, for bringing me back home.

    Don't you just love it? I'd have preferred the distro to stay SUSE (and
    European) only.

    Nothing political, just nice to have a 'local' product for once. And their
    effords in internationalisation (sp?) of Linux made it stand out.
    And their focus was to the client, not some shareholders.

    Of course, as corporations go, I have rather nice experiences with their
    Netware line of products, and it's support. I give them the benefit of
    doubt, for now.

    Douglas Adams

  6. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    >> One bad issue: During the hardware config when YaST is configuring the X
    >> server, just touching the touchpad freezes the whole thing, and requires
    >> a reboot. As long as I kept my hands away, things went fine.

    > Weel, just remember to keep your hand away. :-)
    >
    > Maybe you could check if other bios settings for that touchpad would
    > change this behaviour. I'd even go as far as to disable it completely.
    > Might be SUSE detects it and enables it after config.

    Oh, I use that too much to disable it. It's detected and configured just
    fine, but during the process of detection is where it's sensitive. Same
    issue showed up on the LiveRun CD.

    As a final addendum, I note hibernate works. There are two small glitches:
    (1) the screen becomes garbled before it shuts down, though I can still
    discern the progress bar; and (2) upon resuming (all clean!) I get a popup
    window telling me "suspend failed" -- HA! I can live with these. It even
    restarted the wifi connection by itself.

    That, too, was a major problem in other distros. In the much-hyped Ubuntu
    Gutsy Gibbon, I never got wireless of any flavor to work, regardless of
    method, or the use of pccards, USB, etc. With SUSE, it was simply a matter
    of choosing Ndiswrapper because fwcutter developers had already dropped
    support for my chipset. At least this time Ndiswapper actually worked; it
    failed on FreeBSD, CentOS, Ubuntu, Kanotix... I lost track.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------
    Return addy is bogus; used by permission.
    Try br073n at the standard gmail service.

  7. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:44:02 -0800, br073n wrote:

    > 3. Kernel: Unless there's something I've missed in the SuSE docs, to get
    > a decent resolution on the console with Intel graphics chips, I'll need
    > to compile the intelfb directly into the kernel. The developer says
    > himself it won't load with LCD screens otherwise. I really do expect to
    > run from the console some. I'm going to need a bit of handholding on
    > kernel config, because I've never touched it before. I'm thinking I'll
    > deal with this later when everything else works, and if I'm going to
    > bother at all, I might as well learn how to trim the fat to fit it
    > directly to my system.

    I use onboard intel 864G graphics with a 17" lcd screen and this works as
    automatically set up during install.

  8. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    graham wrote:

    > I use onboard intel 864G graphics with a 17" lcd screen and this works as
    > automatically set up during install.

    Yes, I found that and it totally surprised me. The few minor issues I've
    encountered a well within my range of tolerance compared to the disaster I
    faced with other distros.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------
    Return addy is bogus; used by permission.
    Try br073n at the standard gmail service.

  9. Re: Trying to come back to SuSE

    Ed Hurst wrote:

    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >
    >>> One bad issue: During the hardware config when YaST is configuring the X
    >>> server, just touching the touchpad freezes the whole thing, and requires
    >>> a reboot. As long as I kept my hands away, things went fine.

    >> Weel, just remember to keep your hand away. :-)
    >>
    >> Maybe you could check if other bios settings for that touchpad would
    >> change this behaviour. I'd even go as far as to disable it completely.
    >> Might be SUSE detects it and enables it after config.

    > Oh, I use that too much to disable it. It's detected and configured just
    > fine, but during the process of detection is where it's sensitive. Same
    > issue showed up on the LiveRun CD.
    >
    > As a final addendum, I note hibernate works. There are two small glitches:
    > (1) the screen becomes garbled before it shuts down, though I can still
    > discern the progress bar; and (2) upon resuming (all clean!) I get a popup
    > window telling me "suspend failed" -- HA! I can live with these. It even
    > restarted the wifi connection by itself.
    >
    > That, too, was a major problem in other distros. In the much-hyped Ubuntu
    > Gutsy Gibbon, I never got wireless of any flavor to work, regardless of
    > method, or the use of pccards, USB, etc. With SUSE, it was simply a matter
    > of choosing Ndiswrapper because fwcutter developers had already dropped
    > support for my chipset. At least this time Ndiswapper actually worked; it
    > failed on FreeBSD, CentOS, Ubuntu, Kanotix... I lost track.

    I fought that problem on a Toshiba laptop for a long time. A couple of
    weeks back someone posted a change for xorg.conf that disabled the
    double-click emulation that got rid of the hassle. Basically, the touchpad
    still controls the cursor but the double-tap no longer works - have to use
    the button. This was a couple of weeks back - check Google.

    --
    Will Honea