Re: Problems after updating - HELP - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Problems after updating - HELP - Suse ; Pat wrote: > After making a few updates to my openSUSE 10.2 system, my (GNOME) > desktop is now gone! There are no icons or wallpaper - just a black > screen. One of the updates I had applied was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Re: Problems after updating - HELP

  1. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Pat wrote:

    > After making a few updates to my openSUSE 10.2 system, my (GNOME)
    > desktop is now gone! There are no icons or wallpaper - just a black
    > screen. One of the updates I had applied was to Nautilus, so I suspect
    > maybe that was cause it.
    >
    > On top of that, I also discover that Evolution will not launch. If I go
    > into applications and try to launch it nothing happens. It was another
    > package I had updated.
    >
    > To toolbar at the bottom is still showing, so I can at least get to Yast
    > and other applications, if needed.
    >
    > I've never had this much trouble with updates before. I hope these can
    > be fixed. Is there a way to roll the updates back (something similar to
    > system restore in Windows XP)? I need to get this working soon as this
    > is my primary work computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat


    To find out exactly what is wrong with the programs (10 to 1 it is a
    dependency problem) launch a terminal and then start the program in the
    terminal. That should give you the reason(s) why the program is failing.

    If you do not know the command to launch the program, right click over the
    menu icon and choose the Menu Editor. Go to the program and look at the
    command to run it.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  2. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> After making a few updates to my openSUSE 10.2 system, my (GNOME)
    >> desktop is now gone! There are no icons or wallpaper - just a black
    >> screen. One of the updates I had applied was to Nautilus, so I suspect
    >> maybe that was cause it.
    >>
    >> On top of that, I also discover that Evolution will not launch. If I go
    >> into applications and try to launch it nothing happens. It was another
    >> package I had updated.
    >>
    >> To toolbar at the bottom is still showing, so I can at least get to Yast
    >> and other applications, if needed.
    >>
    >> I've never had this much trouble with updates before. I hope these can
    >> be fixed. Is there a way to roll the updates back (something similar to
    >> system restore in Windows XP)? I need to get this working soon as this
    >> is my primary work computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat

    >
    > To find out exactly what is wrong with the programs (10 to 1 it is a
    > dependency problem) launch a terminal and then start the program in the
    > terminal. That should give you the reason(s) why the program is failing.
    >
    > If you do not know the command to launch the program, right click over the
    > menu icon and choose the Menu Editor. Go to the program and look at the
    > command to run it.
    >


    I think you were right. I got it fixed (both issues) by going into Yast
    and installing ALL the updates I could. Originally I had only installed
    a few (out of the 180 or so available for my system) because so many of
    them had dependency issues (it was hard to tell from the messages which
    specific packages were the problem). Apparently some of the updates I
    installed needed other ones that hadn't been. I worked around the
    dependency issue by just installing a few at a time. After that I
    restarted my system, and to my great relief everything worked as it
    should. Whew! I was a really sweating there for a while.

    I still have around 30 packages that won't update due to unresolved
    dependencies. Fortunately none of those appear to be critical to
    operation of the system. Hopefully those will get resolved with time.

    Thanks for the reply. -Pat


  3. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Pat in :

    > I still have around 30 packages that won't update due to unresolved
    > dependencies. *Fortunately none of those appear to be critical to
    > operation of the system. *Hopefully those will get resolved with time.


    Maybe you van use smart or zypper to do this?

    http://labix.org/smart

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  4. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Peter Terpstra wrote:
    > Pat in :
    >
    >> I still have around 30 packages that won't update due to unresolved
    >> dependencies. Fortunately none of those appear to be critical to
    >> operation of the system. Hopefully those will get resolved with time.

    >
    > Maybe you van use smart or zypper to do this?
    >
    > http://labix.org/smart
    >
    > P.
    >


    So is this a Yast issue or a problem with the repositories (not having
    the needed dependencies)?

    I was under the impression it was a repository problem, but if not then
    I'll definitely give smart a try. I've heard it's pretty good. Any
    problem switching between it and Yast? -Pat

  5. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Pat in :


    > So is this a Yast issue or a problem with the repositories (not having
    > the needed dependencies)?


    I think its the best to have online installation sources, YaST is good in
    solving all depedendcies, they should not be an issue. I do not know why
    you have independency problems, maybe you can check in the logfiles
    (/var/log/YaST2/*)?

    `zypper service-list' shows you the installation sources.

    > I was under the impression it was a repository problem, but if not then
    > I'll definitely give smart a try. *I've heard it's pretty good. *Any
    > problem switching between it and Yast? *-Pat


    Smart is easier and quicker than yast, works without any problems.

    The best is to try some thing in your root console so you can see what
    happens.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  6. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Pat wrote:
    > I was under the impression it was a repository problem, but if not then
    > I'll definitely give smart a try. I've heard it's pretty good. Any
    > problem switching between it and Yast? -Pat


    You can use smart an YaST next to each other, as long as you don't use
    them at the same time. I must say I never had an issue with YaST and
    have not tried smart for very long.

    To me YaST is good, for others Smart is good. You will be the person who
    will decide what you want to use.

    The reason I also use YaST is because it does much more then just
    install and remove programs. Much much more.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  7. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    Pat wrote:
    > I guess I'm still not clear on the cause. Are the "unresolved
    > dependency" messages I'm getting when updating packages with Yast due to
    > a problem with Yast itself? If not, and it's caused by something else,
    > then I see no point in switching from Yast. Yast seems to work well in
    > all other regards.


    It could be related to a package you have installed yourself. Sometimes
    it also happens when you run YaST and something else (e.g. rpm or smart)
    at the same time. Close YaST and run as root "rpm -updatedb".

    Also see what packages it is complaining about.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on
    the computer.

  8. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    houghi wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> I was under the impression it was a repository problem, but if not then
    >> I'll definitely give smart a try. I've heard it's pretty good. Any
    >> problem switching between it and Yast? -Pat

    >
    > You can use smart an YaST next to each other, as long as you don't use
    > them at the same time. I must say I never had an issue with YaST and
    > have not tried smart for very long.
    >
    > To me YaST is good, for others Smart is good. You will be the person who
    > will decide what you want to use.
    >
    > The reason I also use YaST is because it does much more then just
    > install and remove programs. Much much more.
    >
    > houghi


    I guess I'm still not clear on the cause. Are the "unresolved
    dependency" messages I'm getting when updating packages with Yast due to
    a problem with Yast itself? If not, and it's caused by something else,
    then I see no point in switching from Yast. Yast seems to work well in
    all other regards.

    Thanks, -Pat

  9. Re: Problems after updating - HELP

    houghi wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> I guess I'm still not clear on the cause. Are the "unresolved
    >> dependency" messages I'm getting when updating packages with Yast due to
    >> a problem with Yast itself? If not, and it's caused by something else,
    >> then I see no point in switching from Yast. Yast seems to work well in
    >> all other regards.

    >
    > It could be related to a package you have installed yourself. Sometimes
    > it also happens when you run YaST and something else (e.g. rpm or smart)
    > at the same time. Close YaST and run as root "rpm -updatedb".
    >
    > Also see what packages it is complaining about.
    >
    > houghi


    Will do. Thanks! -Pat

+ Reply to Thread