Which Suse - Suse

This is a discussion on Which Suse - Suse ; I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the 32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this ...

  1. Which Suse

    I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always
    used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the
    32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this processor? If the
    64-bit is best, is there a downside to using the 32-bit version?

    PHT

    http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

  2. Re: Which Suse

    PH Thorsted wrote:
    > I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always
    > used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the
    > 32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this processor? If the
    > 64-bit is best, is there a downside to using the 32-bit version?

    I'm on Intel Core 2 Duo, and installed the 64-bit 10.3 recently. It
    works without problems, including Firefox+Java+Flash and I can also
    compile and run 32-bit programs without problems.

    Theoretically, the 64-bit version should be faster due to the CPU having
    more registers available. Dunno if the speed difference is noticeable
    though. But since it runs 100% here, don't see any reason to use the
    32-bit SUSE other than saving some space for the 32-bit compatibility
    layer (some libraries are installed twice; /usr/lib64 vs /usr/lib so
    that 32-bit binaries have access to 32-bit libraries).

    My 2 Euro-cents

  3. Re: Which Suse

    PH Thorsted wrote:
    > I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always
    > used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the
    > 32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this processor? If the
    > 64-bit is best, is there a downside to using the 32-bit version?

    Is the computer a 32 or a 64 bit? That would give you the answer on what
    to use.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  4. Re: Which Suse

    PH Thorsted schrieb:
    > I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always
    > used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the
    > 32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this processor? If the
    > 64-bit is best, is there a downside to using the 32-bit version?

    There is no java plugin for 64-bit firefox in java 1.5 or newer. So either you use 64-bit Suse with
    a 32-bit firefox (as me, it was so in the 10.2 Suse
    I got), use 32-Bit Suse or you have to make some workarounds (see the discussions about this topic).

    Ciao

    Karl

  5. Re: Which Suse

    PH Thorsted wrote:
    > I am buying a new computer with a AMD Dual core processor. I have always
    > used the Suse with standard kernel. With the AMD dual core, do I use the
    > 32-bit version of Suse or the 64-bit version with this processor? If the
    > 64-bit is best, is there a downside to using the 32-bit version?
    >
    > PHT
    >

    > http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

    I have used both the 32 and 64 bit versions and find no speed
    difference. There are problems with the 64 bit version since not
    everything is available in 64 bit depending on what you do. 64 bit is no
    advantage in my opinion unless you are doing super-computer work. I now
    stick to 32 bit until 64 bit stuff is more common. Then they will have
    128 bit operating systems.

+ Reply to Thread