KDM configuration file - Suse

This is a discussion on KDM configuration file - Suse ; Editing /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc doesn't seem to have any effect. Where does KDM read its configuration from? I need to pass arguments to the X server and there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. openSUSE 10.3 x86_64...

  1. KDM configuration file

    Editing /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc doesn't seem to have any
    effect. Where does KDM read its configuration from? I need to pass
    arguments to the X server and there doesn't seem to be any way to do that.

    openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

  2. Re: KDM configuration file

    The carbonbased lifeform Nikos Chantziaras inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Editing /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc doesn't seem to have any
    > effect. Where does KDM read its configuration from? I need to pass
    > arguments to the X server and there doesn't seem to be any way to do that.
    >
    > openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

    /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig

    (at least, that one's atime is changed after running SuSEconfig).
    But you should edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and run said
    SuSEconfig.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  3. Re: KDM configuration file

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform Nikos Chantziaras inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >> Editing /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc doesn't seem to have any
    >> effect. Where does KDM read its configuration from? I need to pass
    >> arguments to the X server and there doesn't seem to be any way to do that.
    >>
    >> openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

    > /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig
    >
    > (at least, that one's atime is changed after running SuSEconfig).
    > But you should edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and run said
    > SuSEconfig.

    When I edit /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig, it is reset back to the state
    prior to editing right before starting KDM, so it doesn't work.

    /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager doesn't have any settings to pass
    arguments to X.

    I'm stuck. openSUSE 10.3 doesn't seem to allow users to pass arguments
    to X in an easy way :P The only way to do it is to start in runlevel 3
    and type "startx -- [options]". With KDM in runlevel 5 I can't make it
    work.

  4. Re: KDM configuration file

    Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:

    >>> openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

    >> /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig
    >>
    >> (at least, that one's atime is changed after running SuSEconfig).
    >> But you should edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and run said
    >> SuSEconfig.

    > When I edit /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig, it is reset back to the
    > state prior to editing right before starting KDM, so it doesn't work.
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager doesn't have any settings to pass
    > arguments to X.
    >
    > I'm stuck. openSUSE 10.3 doesn't seem to allow users to pass
    > arguments
    > to X in an easy way :P The only way to do it is to start in runlevel
    > 3
    > and type "startx -- [options]". With KDM in runlevel 5 I can't make
    > it work.

    AFAIK, Suse also stores config data related to KDM
    in /etc/opt/kde/kdm/kdmrc

    hth
    --
    lg Niko
    ________________________________

  5. Re: KDM configuration file

    Nikolai Försterling wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
    >> When I edit /var/adm/kdm/kdmrc.sysconfig, it is reset back to the
    >> state prior to editing right before starting KDM, so it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager doesn't have any settings to pass
    >> arguments to X. [...]

    > AFAIK, Suse also stores config data related to KDM
    > in /etc/opt/kde/kdm/kdmrc

    That's not the case anymore on 10.3 :P

+ Reply to Thread