10.3 Blank screen after install. - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 Blank screen after install. - Suse ; Hi Guys, Just done a clean install on a Compaq Pressario. After install and reboot I don't get any display on the screen. However if I wait until the HHD light stops flashing, then press ctrl+alt+F1 I get a text ...

  1. 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Hi Guys,

    Just done a clean install on a Compaq Pressario. After install and
    reboot I don't get any display on the screen. However if I wait until
    the HHD light stops flashing, then press ctrl+alt+F1 I get a text
    screen with a login prompt.

    I can then login either as the user or root. If I then try to "startx"
    or run "Sax2" I get "access denied to screen 0" and a message asking
    me to remove a lock file. Which I can do!

    I'm a bit lost at this point. I previously had 10.2 running on this
    machine without issue.

    I have tried to find these symptoms on the "Kowledge Base" without
    succsess.

    Thanks in advance for any prods in the right direction.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  2. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the following:

    > I can then login either as the user or root. *If I then try to "startx"
    > or run "Sax2" *I get "access denied to screen 0" *and a message asking
    > me to remove a lock file. *Which I can do!

    Probably because X is already in use, the actual full message about the
    lockfile would be useful here....

    As root, on the console try:

    sync
    sync
    init 3
    and then run
    sax2

    Once finished in sax try

    sync
    sync
    init 5

    --
    I'm a dyslexic satanist, I worship the drivel... must be why I'm here

  3. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    TGGA wrote:

    > Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the
    > following:
    >
    >> I can then login either as the user or root. *If I then try to
    >> "startx" or run "Sax2" *I get "access denied to screen 0" *and a
    >> message asking me to remove a lock file. *Which I can do!

    > Probably because X is already in use, the actual full message about
    > the lockfile would be useful here....

    I can't remember the exact message. But ctrl+alt+f7 is a black screen.
    ctrl+bksp does nothing. ctrl+alt+1 to 6 gives a text screen. I can log
    in as root or the user on any or all of them. In each I get
    the "access denied to screen" message if I try to "startx".

    > As root, on the console try:
    >
    > sync
    > sync
    > init 3
    > and then run
    > sax2
    >
    > Once finished in sax try
    >
    > sync
    > sync
    > init 5

    Mmm I thought I had replied to you, but nothing has showed up.......

    I will try this and report back.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Baron wrote:

    > TGGA wrote:
    >
    >> Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the
    >> following:
    >>
    >>> I can then login either as the user or root. *If I then try to
    >>> "startx" or run "Sax2" *I get "access denied to screen 0" *and a
    >>> message asking me to remove a lock file. *Which I can do!

    >> Probably because X is already in use, the actual full message about
    >> the lockfile would be useful here....

    > I can't remember the exact message. But ctrl+alt+f7 is a black
    > screen.
    > ctrl+bksp does nothing. ctrl+alt+1 to 6 gives a text screen. I can
    > log
    > in as root or the user on any or all of them. In each I get
    > the "access denied to screen" message if I try to "startx".

    The error message comes right after you try to run sax2.

    >> As root, on the console try:
    >>
    >> sync

    Something happens but no messages

    >> sync

    Nothing happens now

    >> init 3

    Nothing happens

    >> and then run
    >> sax2
    >>
    >> Once finished in sax try
    >>
    >> sync
    >> sync
    >> init 5
    >>

    > Mmm I thought I had replied to you, but nothing has showed up.......
    >
    > I will try this and report back.

    As above not much luck.
    Removing "vga=013a" from grub's "menu.lst" allows me to get a visible
    screen all the way to the login prompt.

    Xorgconfig runs but I still end up with a black alt+f7.

    Its almost as if the desktop is hidden by a black foreground. 10.2
    works just fine. What has gone wrong with 10.3 ?

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  5. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the following:

    > As above not much luck.
    > Removing "vga=013a" from grub's "menu.lst" *allows me to get a visible
    > screen all the way to the login prompt.
    >
    > Xorgconfig runs but I still end up with a black alt+f7.
    >
    > Its almost as if the desktop is hidden by a black foreground. *10.2
    > works just fine. *What has gone wrong with 10.3 ?

    I never thought to ask, what video chipset? I used to have this with Nvidia
    when I first installed and hadn't installed NVidia's drivers.

    --
    I'm a dyslexic satanist, I worship the drivel... must be why I'm here

  6. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    TGGA wrote:

    > Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the
    > following:
    >
    >> As above not much luck.
    >> Removing "vga=013a" from grub's "menu.lst" *allows me to get a
    >> visible screen all the way to the login prompt.
    >>
    >> Xorgconfig runs but I still end up with a black alt+f7.
    >>
    >> Its almost as if the desktop is hidden by a black foreground. *10.2
    >> works just fine. *What has gone wrong with 10.3 ?

    > I never thought to ask, what video chipset? I used to have this with
    > Nvidia when I first installed and hadn't installed NVidia's drivers.

    ATI Radion X200 Onboard 64Mb of system ram used. Machine is a Compaq
    Presario 1000

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Baron wrote:

    > TGGA wrote:
    >
    >> Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the
    >> following:
    >>
    >>> As above not much luck.
    >>> Removing "vga=013a" from grub's "menu.lst" *allows me to get a
    >>> visible screen all the way to the login prompt.
    >>>
    >>> Xorgconfig runs but I still end up with a black alt+f7.
    >>>
    >>> Its almost as if the desktop is hidden by a black foreground. *10.2
    >>> works just fine. *What has gone wrong with 10.3 ?

    >> I never thought to ask, what video chipset? I used to have this with
    >> Nvidia when I first installed and hadn't installed NVidia's drivers.

    > ATI Radion X200 Onboard 64Mb of system ram used. Machine is a Compaq
    > Presario 1000

    I don't the time to play around with this. Format & restore the
    original Open SuSE 10.2. It works fine now.

    Warning to anyone with the above machine Open SuSE 10.3 is a no no
    without doing a lot of time consuming investigation.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  8. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Baron wrote:
    >Baron wrote:

    >> TGGA wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some being by the name of Baron managed to piece together the
    >>> following:

    >>> I never thought to ask, what video chipset? I used to have this with
    >>> Nvidia when I first installed and hadn't installed NVidia's drivers.

    >> ATI Radion X200 Onboard 64Mb of system ram used. Machine is a Compaq
    >> Presario 1000

    >I don't the time to play around with this. Format & restore the
    >original Open SuSE 10.2. It works fine now.

    >Warning to anyone with the above machine Open SuSE 10.3 is a no no
    >without doing a lot of time consuming investigation.

    To which I add Dell Inspiron 4400 (old desktop machine) and
    Dell Inspiron 5150 (middle-aged laptop.) OpenSuSE 10.3 will
    not work with these.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  9. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:05:20 +0000 (UTC)
    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    > >Baron wrote:

    > >> ATI Radion X200 Onboard 64Mb of system ram used. Machine is a
    > >> Compaq Presario 1000

    > >I don't the time to play around with this. Format & restore the
    > >original Open SuSE 10.2. It works fine now.

    > >Warning to anyone with the above machine Open SuSE 10.3 is a no no
    > >without doing a lot of time consuming investigation.

    > To which I add Dell Inspiron 4400 (old desktop machine) and
    > Dell Inspiron 5150 (middle-aged laptop.) OpenSuSE 10.3 will
    > not work with these.

    Hi
    I took the plunge today to install 10.3 on this machine, had the same
    issue. All I had todo was copy my backup xorg.conf (SLED10) and install
    the nvidia driver first and all works fine. Compiz-fusion, EN8600GTS,
    twin monitors.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 10.3 (X86-64) Kernel 2.6.22.9-0.4-default

  10. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:05:20 +0000 (UTC)
    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    >
    >> Baron wrote:

    >> >I don't the time to play around with this. Format & restore the
    >> >original Open SuSE 10.2. It works fine now.

    >> >Warning to anyone with the above machine Open SuSE 10.3 is a no no
    >> >without doing a lot of time consuming investigation.

    >> To which I add Dell Inspiron 4400 (old desktop machine) and
    >> Dell Inspiron 5150 (middle-aged laptop.) OpenSuSE 10.3 will
    >> not work with these.
    >>

    > Hi
    > I took the plunge today to install 10.3 on this machine, had the same
    > issue. All I had todo was copy my backup xorg.conf (SLED10) and
    > install the nvidia driver first and all works fine. Compiz-fusion,
    > EN8600GTS, twin monitors.

    Interesting! The Compaq has an ATI video card. Anyway I will note your
    comments for future reference. The Compaq has gone back to the client
    with the original 10.2 on it. Having weaned him off XP he is a happy
    chappy with Linux.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  11. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Malcolm wrote:

    >I took the plunge today to install 10.3 on this machine, had the same
    >issue. All I had todo was copy my backup xorg.conf (SLED10) and install
    >the nvidia driver first and all works fine. Compiz-fusion, EN8600GTS,
    >twin monitors.

    That sounds interesting. At what point in the install did you do
    these things? It sounds like you did a complete install and then
    added these items. Is that right?

    I did install the updated Nvidia driver after a full installation.
    It did no good.

    But I'll try this.

    What is annoying is that OpenSUSE regards this bug a *fixed* as
    of release candidate 2. It clearly was not fixed and seems to
    be hardware dependent since only a small percentage of people
    have run into it.

    But since complaints have been filed with OpenSUSE, I am a bit
    surprised that this issue has not been dealt with.

    By the way, when one attempts to mount the USB stick, it *is*
    recognized and listed as mounted by the new, complex, device
    name. But it is not actually mounted anywhere I could find.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  12. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:48:14 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > By the way, when one attempts to mount the USB stick, it *is* recognized
    > and listed as mounted by the new, complex, device name. But it is not
    > actually mounted anywhere I could find.

    I'm pretty sure I checked all my usb devices on first install of 10.3 and
    they worked. My mp3 player and memory stick still work but my camera
    mounts then gives an error message "cannot connect to the device"
    The one that work are mounted via /dev/sdc1.
    Halmout which is part of ivman may be helpful in manually mounting your
    stick.

  13. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 00:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    > >I took the plunge today to install 10.3 on this machine, had the same
    > >issue. All I had todo was copy my backup xorg.conf (SLED10) and
    > >install the nvidia driver first and all works fine. Compiz-fusion,
    > >EN8600GTS, twin monitors.

    > That sounds interesting. At what point in the install did you do
    > these things? It sounds like you did a complete install and then
    > added these items. Is that right?
    >
    > I did install the updated Nvidia driver after a full installation.
    > It did no good.
    >
    > But I'll try this.

    Hi
    Yes a fresh install, after the Nvidia driver install from the
    repository ( I normally use the one from the nvidia site). Running sax2
    -r -m 0=nvidia wouldn't work at runlevel 3. At that point I copied the
    xorg.conf over and ran init 5 and it just worked...sigh.

    > What is annoying is that OpenSUSE regards this bug a *fixed* as
    > of release candidate 2. It clearly was not fixed and seems to
    > be hardware dependent since only a small percentage of people
    > have run into it.

    True, I installed 10.3 on my Toshiba M3 notebook and it all worked fine
    with the Nvidia driver, maybe it's a 32 vs 64bit issue?

    > But since complaints have been filed with OpenSUSE, I am a bit
    > surprised that this issue has not been dealt with.
    >
    > By the way, when one attempts to mount the USB stick, it *is*
    > recognized and listed as mounted by the new, complex, device
    > name. But it is not actually mounted anywhere I could find.

    I set all my partitions as 'device name' during the install and usb
    devices mount under the /media directory and show up on the desktop
    with Gnome.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 10.3 (X86-64) Kernel 2.6.22.12-0.1-default

  14. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    graham wrote:
    >On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:48:14 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> By the way, when one attempts to mount the USB stick, it *is* recognized
    >> and listed as mounted by the new, complex, device name. But it is not
    >> actually mounted anywhere I could find.

    >I'm pretty sure I checked all my usb devices on first install of 10.3 and
    >they worked. My mp3 player and memory stick still work but my camera
    >mounts then gives an error message "cannot connect to the device"
    >The one that work are mounted via /dev/sdc1.
    >Halmout which is part of ivman may be helpful in manually mounting your
    >stick.

    That sounds like a different problem. In my problem the stick mounts,
    the usual window opens to show the contents of the stick, but instead
    of seeing the contents, I get a popup with a message from HAL (the
    hardware abstraction layer demon) saying that it has been told NOT
    to mount the stick. (I don't have the exact message at hand right
    now.)

    I have been unable to find that setting in any configuration file
    at all.

    Needless to say, the hardware is working just fine. Both machines
    are dual boot machines and W*****s has no trouble seeing the USB
    sticks.

    There were several bug reports filed on this. They
    are currently marked RESOLVED and thus are closed.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  15. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Malcolm wrote:
    >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 00:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> Malcolm wrote:
    >>
    >> >I took the plunge today to install 10.3 on this machine, had the same
    >> >issue. All I had todo was copy my backup xorg.conf (SLED10) and
    >> >install the nvidia driver first and all works fine. Compiz-fusion,
    >> >EN8600GTS, twin monitors.

    >> That sounds interesting. At what point in the install did you do
    >> these things? It sounds like you did a complete install and then
    >> added these items. Is that right?
    >>
    >> I did install the updated Nvidia driver after a full installation.
    >> It did no good.
    >>
    >> But I'll try this.

    >Hi
    >Yes a fresh install, after the Nvidia driver install from the
    >repository ( I normally use the one from the nvidia site). Running sax2
    >-r -m 0=nvidia wouldn't work at runlevel 3. At that point I copied the
    >xorg.conf over and ran init 5 and it just worked...sigh.

    Sorry to be difficult, but that sounds very strange. If you
    did a fresh install, you overwrote everything previously on the
    drive, *including* the nvidia driver...

    >> What is annoying is that OpenSUSE regards this bug a *fixed* as
    >> of release candidate 2. It clearly was not fixed and seems to
    >> be hardware dependent since only a small percentage of people
    >> have run into it.

    >True, I installed 10.3 on my Toshiba M3 notebook and it all worked fine
    >with the Nvidia driver, maybe it's a 32 vs 64bit issue?

    I'm running 32 bit on 32 bit machines.

    >> But since complaints have been filed with OpenSUSE, I am a bit
    >> surprised that this issue has not been dealt with.
    >>
    >> By the way, when one attempts to mount the USB stick, it *is*
    >> recognized and listed as mounted by the new, complex, device
    >> name. But it is not actually mounted anywhere I could find.
    >>

    >I set all my partitions as 'device name' during the install and usb
    >devices mount under the /media directory and show up on the desktop
    >with Gnome.

    Hmmm.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:07:24 +0000 (UTC)
    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > >Hi
    > >Yes a fresh install, after the Nvidia driver install from the
    > >repository ( I normally use the one from the nvidia site). Running
    > >sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia wouldn't work at runlevel 3. At that point I
    > >copied the xorg.conf over and ran init 5 and it just worked...sigh.

    > Sorry to be difficult, but that sounds very strange. If you
    > did a fresh install, you overwrote everything previously on the
    > drive, *including* the nvidia driver...

    I should have said it was a backup of my xorg.conf ;-) Any configs I
    change get copied over to my home directory then backed up.

    Anyway I've had my play on 10.3 64bit and now back to my SLED. Which
    seemed to have the same issue with the EN8600GTS card, nvidia driver
    and sax2. I had an EN6600GT installed when I first installed SLED and
    just installed the new card all worked ok with the installed
    driver/config.

    The notebook is going fine though with 10.3.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 16:17, 1 user, load average: 0.51, 0.34, 0.25

  17. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:07:24 +0000 (UTC)
    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    >

    >>> Hi
    >>> Yes a fresh install, after the Nvidia driver install from the
    >>> repository ( I normally use the one from the nvidia site). Running
    >>> sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia wouldn't work at runlevel 3.

    Greetings,
    I had the same experience with 10.3 64 bit and an nvidia 8800 GTS. I
    reverted to a backed up copy of xorg.conf that got my gui back. Using
    procedures from www.thejemreport.com hacking 10.1 I installed
    kernel-source, make, and a few other files. Downloaded the sh file from
    nvidia and installed it via the instructions on the site. Then I copied
    made a copy of xorg.conf, then used a backup copy of my xorg.conf from
    10.2 which functioned properly with my dual monitors. I'm used to having
    some problems getting my dual monitors working with nvidia. Sometimes
    merely using the repository driver and the previous xorg.conf file
    works, sometimes I have to compile the kernel using the nvidia linux
    driver and I've generally had to hand edit the xorg.conf file with vi to
    get everything to work. Not the simplest thing for a newbie.

    Tom

  18. Re: 10.3 Blank screen after install.

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:21:04 -0500
    Thomas Tootle wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > I had the same experience with 10.3 64 bit and an nvidia 8800 GTS. I
    > reverted to a backed up copy of xorg.conf that got my gui back. Using
    > procedures from www.thejemreport.com hacking 10.1 I installed
    > kernel-source, make, and a few other files. Downloaded the sh file
    > from nvidia and installed it via the instructions on the site. Then I
    > copied made a copy of xorg.conf, then used a backup copy of my
    > xorg.conf from 10.2 which functioned properly with my dual monitors.
    > I'm used to having some problems getting my dual monitors working
    > with nvidia. Sometimes merely using the repository driver and the
    > previous xorg.conf file works, sometimes I have to compile the kernel
    > using the nvidia linux driver and I've generally had to hand edit the
    > xorg.conf file with vi to get everything to work. Not the simplest
    > thing for a newbie.
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom
    Same here as I run twin monitors, I wonder if it has something to do
    with the EN8600 and having Digital outputs. I had no issue with
    an EN6600 which has VGA and Digital.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 21:21, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01

+ Reply to Thread