Planning Clean Install of 10.3 - One SATA boot and 3 LVM - Suse

This is a discussion on Planning Clean Install of 10.3 - One SATA boot and 3 LVM - Suse ; Greetings, I'm contemplating installing 10.3 on my machine currently running a 320 Gb SATA boot drive and 3 more set up as RAID 5 using LVM. I want to do a clean install on the boot drive leaving the RAID ...

  1. Planning Clean Install of 10.3 - One SATA boot and 3 LVM

    Greetings,
    I'm contemplating installing 10.3 on my machine currently running a 320
    Gb SATA boot drive and 3 more set up as RAID 5 using LVM. I want to do a
    clean install on the boot drive leaving the RAID setup untouched.
    Question is how do I get the new installation to see the RAID setup. Do
    I go into the partitioner and set up the RAID as I did originally with
    the option selected to not format. Will this work? Will my data remain?
    Must I use the original mount point as I did in 10.2?

    Thanks for any tips.
    Tom

  2. Re: Planning Clean Install of 10.3 - One SATA boot and 3 LVM

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I'm contemplating installing 10.3 on my machine currently running a 320
    > Gb SATA boot drive and 3 more set up as RAID 5 using LVM. I want to do a
    > clean install on the boot drive leaving the RAID setup untouched.
    > Question is how do I get the new installation to see the RAID setup. Do
    > I go into the partitioner and set up the RAID as I did originally with
    > the option selected to not format. Will this work? Will my data remain?
    > Must I use the original mount point as I did in 10.2?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.
    > Tom

    Greetings,
    Bit the bullet and did the install. The partitioner suggested putting
    the boot on sdb and that was part of the LVM. I played with the
    partitioner and got /, /swap and /home on sda and added the other three
    hard drives to a LVM, said not to format the LVM, set the mount point
    and did the install. All my files (which were backed up) were intact on
    my LVM raid and I was good to go. Of you have a similar situation, give
    it a go but read the suggestions from the partitioner carefully.