Determining which NVidia driers to install - Suse

This is a discussion on Determining which NVidia driers to install - Suse ; Looking at the "One click" installation of new drivers available from NVidia, I did not see my NVidia Geo Force 7600 GS listed among the Legacy Drivers. However, the other "One Click" option doesn't list ANY of the cards that ...

  1. Determining which NVidia driers to install

    Looking at the "One click" installation of new drivers available from
    NVidia, I did not see my NVidia Geo Force 7600 GS listed among the Legacy
    Drivers. However, the other "One Click" option doesn't list ANY of the
    cards that ARE supported with that choice. I am hesitant to install either
    unless I know that it will be correct. Any input?

    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Determining which NVidia driers to install

    On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 13:12 -0500, Godzilla wrote:
    > Looking at the "One click" installation of new drivers available from
    > NVidia, I did not see my NVidia Geo Force 7600 GS listed among the Legacy
    > Drivers. However, the other "One Click" option doesn't list ANY of the
    > cards that ARE supported with that choice. I am hesitant to install either
    > unless I know that it will be correct. Any input?

    You want the new one... not the legacy driver. You only need the legacy
    driver for cards older than the 6xxx (actually maybe less than 5xxx)
    series.

    See:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-a.html

  3. Re: Determining which NVidia driers to install

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 13:12 -0500, Godzilla wrote:
    >> Looking at the "One click" installation of new drivers available from
    >> NVidia, I did not see my NVidia Geo Force 7600 GS listed among the Legacy
    >> Drivers. However, the other "One Click" option doesn't list ANY of the
    >> cards that ARE supported with that choice. I am hesitant to install
    >> either unless I know that it will be correct. Any input?

    > You want the new one... not the legacy driver. You only need the legacy
    > driver for cards older than the 6xxx (actually maybe less than 5xxx)
    > series.
    >
    > See:

    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-a.html

    Thanks for the correct info. I just needed some knowledgeable reassurance
    before proceeding. That was the easiest driver update that I ever did!

    Godzilla

  4. Re: Determining which NVidia driers to install

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 13:12 -0500, Godzilla wrote:
    >> Looking at the "One click" installation of new drivers available from
    >> NVidia, I did not see my NVidia Geo Force 7600 GS listed among the Legacy
    >> Drivers. However, the other "One Click" option doesn't list ANY of the
    >> cards that ARE supported with that choice. I am hesitant to install
    >> either unless I know that it will be correct. Any input?

    > You want the new one... not the legacy driver. You only need the legacy
    > driver for cards older than the 6xxx (actually maybe less than 5xxx)
    > series.
    >
    > See:

    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-a.html

    The 5XXX that comes in the newest HPs takes the legacy drivers. Just
    installed two of them (one HP and one Compaq) a couple of weeks ago.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery