Replace Downloaded Install Media with Boxed versions? - Suse

This is a discussion on Replace Downloaded Install Media with Boxed versions? - Suse ; My boxed copy of OpenSUSE 10.3 arrived yesterday and I wanted to replace, in the software repository, the downloaded DVD version residing in my DVD drive with 2 ISOs created from my boxed copy... So.. I deactivated the repository 'pointing' ...

  1. Replace Downloaded Install Media with Boxed versions?

    My boxed copy of OpenSUSE 10.3 arrived yesterday and I wanted to
    replace, in the software repository, the downloaded DVD version residing
    in my DVD drive with 2 ISOs created from my boxed copy...

    So..

    I deactivated the repository 'pointing' to my DVD drive..

    I created 2 ISOs using k3b of the disks and copied them to a directory
    in my /home partition..

    Using the Software Repository wizard, I added them to the repositories
    with the ISO option...

    the URLs for the repository for disk 1 and 2 are:

    /home/myname/ISO/su1030.002.iso and /home/myname/ISO/su1030.001.iso

    When trying to initialize software management, I receive the following
    error..

    There was an error in the repository initialization.
    'SUSE_10.3_DVD_2_1': /var/cache/zypp/raw/SUSE_10.3_DVD_2_1: Required
    file is missing: ./content

    If I try to refresh the repository, I get the following...

    Cannot Access installation media
    (Medium number 1)
    Check whether the server is available

    Checking the details box, gives me the following...

    File /media.1/media not found on media:

    iso:///?iso=su1030.002.iso&url=file:///home/myname/ISO/

    Ideas?

  2. Re: Replace Downloaded Install Media with Boxed versions?

    Tony wrote:

    > My boxed copy of OpenSUSE 10.3 arrived yesterday and I wanted to
    > replace, in the software repository, the downloaded DVD version residing
    > in my DVD drive with 2 ISOs created from my boxed copy...
    >
    > So..
    >
    > I deactivated the repository 'pointing' to my DVD drive..
    >
    > I created 2 ISOs using k3b of the disks and copied them to a directory
    > in my /home partition..
    >
    > Using the Software Repository wizard, I added them to the repositories
    > with the ISO option...
    >
    > the URLs for the repository for disk 1 and 2 are:
    >
    > /home/myname/ISO/su1030.002.iso and /home/myname/ISO/su1030.001.iso
    >
    > When trying to initialize software management, I receive the following
    > error..
    >
    > There was an error in the repository initialization.
    > 'SUSE_10.3_DVD_2_1': /var/cache/zypp/raw/SUSE_10.3_DVD_2_1: Required
    > file is missing: ./content
    >
    > If I try to refresh the repository, I get the following...
    >

    > Cannot Access installation media
    > (Medium number 1)
    > Check whether the server is available
    >
    > Checking the details box, gives me the following...
    >
    > File /media.1/media not found on media:
    >
    > iso:///?iso=su1030.002.iso&url=file:///home/myname/ISO/
    >
    > Ideas?

    First idea:
    Don't configure second iso as extra medium.
    Just try to install something that is on that DVD.

    Second idea:
    The creating iso step gives no benefits and uses more computer resources
    when YaST is mounting iso to be able to read files from.
    The iso has the same size as plain copy of DVD to hard disk.

    You can use something that worked with CD sets. I created directory 100 than
    subdirectories CD1 to CD6 and give as source only
    /home/myname/100/CD1/.

    Commands would be like this:
    cd
    mkdir -p 103/DVD{1,2}

    Copy
    DVD 1 to /home/myname/103/DVD1/
    and
    DVD 2 to /home/myname/103/DVD2/

    Then add as source only first directory /home/myname/103/DVD1/ and try to
    install something from second. I'll be able to tell you tomorrow is this
    working as before.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.