Quasi-network printer? - Suse

This is a discussion on Quasi-network printer? - Suse ; Don Raboud wrote: > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote: > >> My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a >> router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet. >> Is it possible ...

  1. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    Don Raboud wrote:
    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    >> router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    >> Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    >> computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    >> purpose?

    > Does the router have a built in parallel port? Do you have a printer with a
    > parallel port connection?

    no, it's a usb port connection

    dj tuchler

  2. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:04:28 -0500, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    >> router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    >> Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    >> computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    >> purpose?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> djtuchler

    > Don't need to. Simpler and easier to simply install it on one computer and
    > share it to the other one - otherwise, you'd need a printer with network
    > interface - not generally a low cost option.

    Seems right. How do I set the printer to be shared by two computers --
    one Linux and one MS Windows? The printer is connected to the Linux
    computer.

  3. Quasi-network printer?

    My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    purpose?

    Thanks

    djtuchler

  4. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:04:28 -0500, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    > My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    > router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    > Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    > computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    > purpose?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > djtuchler

    Don't need to. Simpler and easier to simply install it on one computer and
    share it to the other one - otherwise, you'd need a printer with network
    interface - not generally a low cost option.

  5. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    > My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    > router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    > Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    > computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    > purpose?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > djtuchler

    Not unless the printer is network ready. Some HP laserjets come with a
    built-in ethernet card and intelligence etc. and you pay extra for them.
    If your printer is USB then it must connect to a PC or equivalent which must
    have a network address.
    Probably the simplest (and chapest) way is to plug the printer into one of
    your PCs and share it. Pick the PC that's most likely to be on and make
    sure it is on to do the printing - it doesn't have to be logged in.

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  6. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    > My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    > router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    > Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    > computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    > purpose?

    Does the router have a built in parallel port? Do you have a printer with a
    parallel port connection?

    --
    Don

  7. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:04 -0500, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    > router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    > Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    > computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    > purpose?

    You can buy a router with a built-in printer server.

    Or you could purchase a network ready printer (on some printers
    it may be a plugin option).

    Or you could purchase a standalone network print server
    for use with your existing router.

    Also, if one computer is on all the time, it could act
    as a print server and you could print through that
    machine.

  8. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 11:08:34 -0400, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:04:28 -0500, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >>> My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    >>> router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    >>> Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    >>> computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    >>> purpose?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> djtuchler

    >> Don't need to. Simpler and easier to simply install it on one computer and
    >> share it to the other one - otherwise, you'd need a printer with network
    >> interface - not generally a low cost option.
    >>

    > Seems right. How do I set the printer to be shared by two computers --
    > one Linux and one MS Windows? The printer is connected to the Linux
    > computer.

    You install it as a remote printer on the MS system - you will still need
    the MS drivers. I'd check to see that you can ping from one system to the
    other first, and you may need to set static IP addresses.

  9. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 11:08 -0400, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    > > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:04:28 -0500, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > >
    > >> My wife and I have two computers connected to the internet through a
    > >> router which is connected to a modem connected to the telephone outlet.
    > >> Is it possible to connect a printer to that router so that both
    > >> computers can have access to it? Where can I find a how-to for that
    > >> purpose?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> djtuchler

    > > Don't need to. Simpler and easier to simply install it on one computer and
    > > share it to the other one - otherwise, you'd need a printer with network
    > > interface - not generally a low cost option.
    > >

    > Seems right. How do I set the printer to be shared by two computers --
    > one Linux and one MS Windows? The printer is connected to the Linux
    > computer.

    Oddly enough, Windows can print to an IPP printer (e.g. CUPS on Linux).
    I don't remember the specifics, just remember that they make a bad
    assumption about the port number.... but I have done it in the past.

  10. Re: Quasi-network printer?

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 11:08:34 -0400, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Don't need to. Simpler and easier to simply install it on one computer
    >>> and share it to the other one - otherwise, you'd need a printer with
    >>> network interface - not generally a low cost option.
    >>>

    >> Seems right. How do I set the printer to be shared by two computers --
    >> one Linux and one MS Windows? The printer is connected to the Linux
    >> computer.

    > You install it as a remote printer on the MS system - you will still need
    > the MS drivers. I'd check to see that you can ping from one system to the
    > other first, and you may need to set static IP addresses.

    Alternatively, you can install it on the linux box, this is pretty
    straightforward with YaST.

    Then from windows, specify

    http://:631/printers/

    as the address of a network printer. I have this set-up at home, works
    fine.

    --
    Don

+ Reply to Thread