Copy file to and from SUSE 10 - Suse

This is a discussion on Copy file to and from SUSE 10 - Suse ; Hi. Im rather new at this Suse, but I managed to install a Enterpriser server with VMWare server on it. And it works fine, My problem is when I need to copy files to or from the server. So I ...

  1. Copy file to and from SUSE 10

    Hi. Im rather new at this Suse, but I managed to install a Enterpriser
    server with VMWare server on it. And it works fine, My problem is when
    I need to copy files to or from the server. So I installed the Samba
    part and shared out a folder. But every time I try to login, it just
    says wrong user name and password. My client is both Win XP and Win
    Srv 2003. I tryed to configure LDAP to connect to my DC but it did not
    help. Any ideas?

    Best regards
    Jesper

  2. Re: Copy file to and from SUSE 10

    jesste wrote:
    > Hi. Im rather new at this Suse, but I managed to install a Enterpriser
    > server with VMWare server on it. And it works fine, My problem is when
    > I need to copy files to or from the server. So I installed the Samba
    > part and shared out a folder. But every time I try to login, it just
    > says wrong user name and password. My client is both Win XP and Win
    > Srv 2003. I tryed to configure LDAP to connect to my DC but it did not
    > help. Any ideas?
    >
    > Best regards
    > Jesper

    The Linux system serving Samba must have the Samba users with matching
    usernames and passwords.

    It's fine if the users have same names on both systems.

    They also need a Samba password made separately from the normal unix
    password. The Samba password can of course be the same as the normal
    unix password.

    To create a Samba password for a Samba user on the Linux system:

    # smbpasswd -a yourusername

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  3. Re: Copy file to and from SUSE 10

    Vahis wrote:

    > jesste wrote:
    >> Hi. Im rather new at this Suse, but I managed to install a Enterpriser
    >> server with VMWare server on it. And it works fine, My problem is when
    >> I need to copy files to or from the server. So I installed the Samba
    >> part and shared out a folder. But every time I try to login, it just
    >> says wrong user name and password. My client is both Win XP and Win
    >> Srv 2003. I tryed to configure LDAP to connect to my DC but it did not
    >> help. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >> Jesper
    >>

    > The Linux system serving Samba must have the Samba users with matching
    > usernames and passwords.
    >
    > It's fine if the users have same names on both systems.
    >
    > They also need a Samba password made separately from the normal unix
    > password. The Samba password can of course be the same as the normal
    > unix password.
    >
    > To create a Samba password for a Samba user on the Linux system:
    >
    > # smbpasswd -a yourusername
    >
    > Vahis

    I've used Samba in the past with 2 openSUSE systems and a couple of Windows
    2K systems. The only way to get the openSUSE Samba to work, after setting
    passwords the same, is to turn off the firewall. Yes, Yast opens ports
    when it configures Samba, but it hasn't worked since the firewall was
    added.

    I didn't even bother configuring Samba with 10.3 - why waste my time when I
    can do what I need with USB flash? - ah -- most of the time.

    What i want is a Linux to Linux, NON-samba, NON-windows crap compatable,
    file and directory sharing. Secure connections aren't when there's a virus
    magnet connected.

    John

  4. Re: Copy file to and from SUSE 10

    John Bowling wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> jesste wrote:
    >>> Hi. Im rather new at this Suse, but I managed to install a Enterpriser
    >>> server with VMWare server on it. And it works fine, My problem is when
    >>> I need to copy files to or from the server. So I installed the Samba
    >>> part and shared out a folder. But every time I try to login, it just
    >>> says wrong user name and password. My client is both Win XP and Win
    >>> Srv 2003. I tryed to configure LDAP to connect to my DC but it did not
    >>> help. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Best regards
    >>> Jesper
    >>>

    >> The Linux system serving Samba must have the Samba users with matching
    >> usernames and passwords.
    >>
    >> It's fine if the users have same names on both systems.
    >>
    >> They also need a Samba password made separately from the normal unix
    >> password. The Samba password can of course be the same as the normal
    >> unix password.
    >>
    >> To create a Samba password for a Samba user on the Linux system:
    >>
    >> # smbpasswd -a yourusername
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > I've used Samba in the past with 2 openSUSE systems and a couple of Windows
    > 2K systems. The only way to get the openSUSE Samba to work, after setting
    > passwords the same, is to turn off the firewall.

    No, it's not.

    Yes, Yast opens ports
    > when it configures Samba, but it hasn't worked since the firewall was
    > added.

    Here it works fine.

    > I didn't even bother configuring Samba with 10.3 - why waste my time when I
    > can do what I need with USB flash? - ah -- most of the time.

    Yes, why waste any time...

    > What i want is a Linux to Linux, NON-samba, NON-windows crap compatable,
    > file and directory sharing.

    NFS.

    Secure connections aren't when there's a virus
    > magnet connected.

    ???

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

+ Reply to Thread