White screen on boot up and USB flash errors - Suse

This is a discussion on White screen on boot up and USB flash errors - Suse ; I'm having several problems with with 10.3 with all updates. My original install on a Compaq Evo N400C, worked well (except for sound). Until -- I noticed the problem it when I shut it down and moved the system to ...

  1. White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    I'm having several problems with with 10.3 with all updates. My original
    install on a Compaq Evo N400C, worked well (except for sound). Until --
    I noticed the problem it when I shut it down and moved the system to another
    room and rebooted. Problems then:

    When reaching run level 5, the screen went full white - nothing visible.
    I then rebooted in the failsafe mode, logged in at run level 3 (as normal
    user) and entered startx. KDE came up fine, no white screen, fully usable.
    To shutdown, all I can do is logoff from the user, and then do a su
    shutdown. It has an ATI 3d graphics card, without the 3d driver, which I
    may need to install. I haven't bothered with that with no need for 3d.

    Now, plugging in a USB flash stick (or a USB DVD) comes up with
    hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action,result) in an error alert.
    And, I cannot use MyComputer or Home to bring up a listing of what's on the
    drives.

    The USB will work properly if plugged in when boot starts.

    I can, in su mode, create a folder (/media/d1) and then mount the flash
    (mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mount/d1) and so normal listing, copies, etc. (as
    long as I change the files moved from the flash from root to user
    ownership).

    This ability to run properly indicates to me that there is no hardware
    failure. I think the problem is the result of an update (first noticed
    occurrence of problems was on Oct 25, 2007).

    I did a re-install yesterday, with full updates. The problem is still
    there.

    I am currently doing a full install with no updates (via USB DVD), to see
    that result.

  2. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    John Bowling wrote:
    >I'm having several problems with with 10.3 with all updates. My original
    >install on a Compaq Evo N400C, worked well (except for sound). Until --
    >I noticed the problem it when I shut it down and moved the system to another
    >room and rebooted. Problems then:

    >When reaching run level 5, the screen went full white - nothing visible.
    >I then rebooted in the failsafe mode, logged in at run level 3 (as normal
    >user) and entered startx. KDE came up fine, no white screen, fully usable.
    >To shutdown, all I can do is logoff from the user, and then do a su
    >shutdown. It has an ATI 3d graphics card, without the 3d driver, which I
    >may need to install. I haven't bothered with that with no need for 3d.

    >Now, plugging in a USB flash stick (or a USB DVD) comes up with
    >hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action,result) in an error alert.
    >And, I cannot use MyComputer or Home to bring up a listing of what's on the
    >drives.

    >The USB will work properly if plugged in when boot starts.

    >I can, in su mode, create a folder (/media/d1) and then mount the flash
    >(mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mount/d1) and so normal listing, copies, etc. (as
    >long as I change the files moved from the flash from root to user
    >ownership).

    >This ability to run properly indicates to me that there is no hardware
    >failure. I think the problem is the result of an update (first noticed
    >occurrence of problems was on Oct 25, 2007).

    >I did a re-install yesterday, with full updates. The problem is still
    >there.

    >I am currently doing a full install with no updates (via USB DVD), to see
    >that result.

    Thank you!

    I've just posted the same problem. I have it on two machines.
    Your work-around works for me, but as you can imagine, this is
    not really acceptable.

    My systems are fully patched 10.3's.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >>I'm having several problems with with 10.3 with all updates. My original
    >>install on a Compaq Evo N400C, worked well (except for sound). Until --
    >>I noticed the problem it when I shut it down and moved the system to
    >>another
    >>room and rebooted. Problems then:

    >>When reaching run level 5, the screen went full white - nothing visible.
    >>I then rebooted in the failsafe mode, logged in at run level 3 (as normal
    >>user) and entered startx. KDE came up fine, no white screen, fully
    >>usable. To shutdown, all I can do is logoff from the user, and then do a
    >>su
    >>shutdown. It has an ATI 3d graphics card, without the 3d driver, which I
    >>may need to install. I haven't bothered with that with no need for 3d.

    >>Now, plugging in a USB flash stick (or a USB DVD) comes up with
    >>hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action,result) in an error alert.
    >>And, I cannot use MyComputer or Home to bring up a listing of what's on
    >>the drives.

    >>The USB will work properly if plugged in when boot starts.

    >>I can, in su mode, create a folder (/media/d1) and then mount the flash
    >>(mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mount/d1) and so normal listing, copies, etc.
    >>(as long as I change the files moved from the flash from root to user
    >>ownership).

    >>This ability to run properly indicates to me that there is no hardware
    >>failure. I think the problem is the result of an update (first noticed
    >>occurrence of problems was on Oct 25, 2007).

    >>I did a re-install yesterday, with full updates. The problem is still
    >>there.

    >>I am currently doing a full install with no updates (via USB DVD), to see
    >>that result.

    > Thank you!
    >
    > I've just posted the same problem. I have it on two machines.
    > Your work-around works for me, but as you can imagine, this is
    > not really acceptable.
    >
    > My systems are fully patched 10.3's.

    I completed the re-install with no updates - but I kept /home intact.
    Both problems are still there - so there may be things stored in the user
    that effect these.

    I'm doing another update with /home wiped (I have copied it elsewhere) and
    no updates.

  4. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    John Bowling wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> John Bowling wrote:
    >>>I'm having several problems with with 10.3 with all updates. My original
    >>>install on a Compaq Evo N400C, worked well (except for sound). Until --
    >>>I noticed the problem it when I shut it down and moved the system to
    >>>another
    >>>room and rebooted. Problems then:

    >>>When reaching run level 5, the screen went full white - nothing visible.
    >>>I then rebooted in the failsafe mode, logged in at run level 3 (as normal
    >>>user) and entered startx. KDE came up fine, no white screen, fully
    >>>usable. To shutdown, all I can do is logoff from the user, and then do a
    >>>su
    >>>shutdown. It has an ATI 3d graphics card, without the 3d driver, which I
    >>>may need to install. I haven't bothered with that with no need for 3d.

    >>>Now, plugging in a USB flash stick (or a USB DVD) comes up with
    >>>hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action,result) in an error alert.
    >>>And, I cannot use MyComputer or Home to bring up a listing of what's on
    >>>the drives.

    >>>The USB will work properly if plugged in when boot starts.

    >>>I can, in su mode, create a folder (/media/d1) and then mount the flash
    >>>(mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mount/d1) and so normal listing, copies, etc.
    >>>(as long as I change the files moved from the flash from root to user
    >>>ownership).

    >>>This ability to run properly indicates to me that there is no hardware
    >>>failure. I think the problem is the result of an update (first noticed
    >>>occurrence of problems was on Oct 25, 2007).

    >>>I did a re-install yesterday, with full updates. The problem is still
    >>>there.

    >>>I am currently doing a full install with no updates (via USB DVD), to see
    >>>that result.

    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> I've just posted the same problem. I have it on two machines.
    >> Your work-around works for me, but as you can imagine, this is
    >> not really acceptable.
    >>
    >> My systems are fully patched 10.3's.
    >>

    >I completed the re-install with no updates - but I kept /home intact.
    >Both problems are still there - so there may be things stored in the user
    >that effect these.

    >I'm doing another update with /home wiped (I have copied it elsewhere) and
    >no updates.

    Mine were clean installs.

    The problem has been reported elsewhere. It is rather unusual
    to find something like this reported only by a minority of
    users. From that alone I suspect a race condition that *usually*
    works...

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> Thank you!
    >>>
    >>> I've just posted the same problem. I have it on two machines.
    >>> Your work-around works for me, but as you can imagine, this is
    >>> not really acceptable.
    >>>
    >>> My systems are fully patched 10.3's.
    >>>

    >>I completed the re-install with no updates - but I kept /home intact.
    >>Both problems are still there - so there may be things stored in the user
    >>that effect these.

    >>I'm doing another update with /home wiped (I have copied it elsewhere) and
    >>no updates.

    > Mine were clean installs.
    >
    > The problem has been reported elsewhere. It is rather unusual
    > to find something like this reported only by a minority of
    > users. From that alone I suspect a race condition that *usually*
    > works...

    My last install, with a fresh /home seems to have fixed the USB mount
    problem, but I'm not counting on it being really fixed. I did do a full
    updated, and it still works. I do have to move a lot of /home stuff back -
    but I'll not move any KDE items back where the defaults are sufficient.

    It did not fix the white screen on normal boot up, so that may be in the
    video driver. I can work around that easier than the USB, so I'll live
    with this for now.

    My laptop has a 700M CPU so it may have different race condition potentials
    than a newer laptop or a desktop system.

  6. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    John Bowling wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> John Bowling wrote:

    >>>I completed the re-install with no updates - but I kept /home intact.
    >>>Both problems are still there - so there may be things stored in the user
    >>>that effect these.

    >>>I'm doing another update with /home wiped (I have copied it elsewhere) and
    >>>no updates.

    >> Mine were clean installs.
    >>
    >> The problem has been reported elsewhere. It is rather unusual
    >> to find something like this reported only by a minority of
    >> users. From that alone I suspect a race condition that *usually*
    >> works...
    >>

    >My last install, with a fresh /home seems to have fixed the USB mount
    >problem, but I'm not counting on it being really fixed. I did do a full
    >updated, and it still works. I do have to move a lot of /home stuff back -
    >but I'll not move any KDE items back where the defaults are sufficient.

    >It did not fix the white screen on normal boot up, so that may be in the
    >video driver. I can work around that easier than the USB, so I'll live
    >with this for now.

    >My laptop has a 700M CPU so it may have different race condition potentials
    >than a newer laptop or a desktop system.

    Thanks for the information. I have the USB problem on two
    machines, one a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150), the other a
    desktop, a Dell vintage 1.6 Ghz machine I've had around for
    some years.

    For those new to this problem: the hardware recognizes the
    USB stick and pops open a window asking what you want to do
    with the new disk (open in a window, nothing, etc.). When
    you make a choice, it then reports that it can't mount the
    USB stick.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: White screen on boot up and USB flash errors

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Thanks for the information. I have the USB problem on two
    > machines, one a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150), the other a
    > desktop, a Dell vintage 1.6 Ghz machine I've had around for
    > some years.
    >
    > For those new to this problem: the hardware recognizes the
    > USB stick and pops open a window asking what you want to do
    > with the new disk (open in a window, nothing, etc.). When
    > you make a choice, it then reports that it can't mount the
    > USB stick.

    My last install did not really change anything.

    BUT

    I took the laptop with me and used it a few miles away. Same condition when
    I got there, but when I got back home it had corrected itself - both
    problems, USB flash and white screen.

    I now suspect that there is a hardware problem, a loose piece of metal that
    happens to touch something and does this, then later, when moved again,
    becomes normal. It may be shorting a signal between video and usb or
    something. The only way to find something like that is to take it all
    apart and get anything loose cleaned out of it. I can't do that for a few
    days.

    That won't help anyone else. The USB problem is being seen by too many
    people for them to have the same cause for the problem I have with it.

    And my sudden working may be just coincidence.

    John

+ Reply to Thread