bugreport = free? - Suse

This is a discussion on bugreport = free? - Suse ; Hi, I have a question about reporting bugs. It's maybe a very dumb question, but..: I see that you have to create an account at Novell.com when one wants to report a bug to Bugzilla. Is this seen as support ...

  1. bugreport = free?

    Hi,

    I have a question about reporting bugs. It's maybe a very dumb question,
    but..:

    I see that you have to create an account at Novell.com when one wants to
    report a bug to Bugzilla. Is this seen as support that one has to pay for
    or is submitting a bug found in openSUSE free of charge?

    Derk

  2. Re: bugreport = free?

    Hi,

    Derk wrote:
    > I see that you have to create an account at Novell.com when one wants to
    > report a bug to Bugzilla. Is this seen as support that one has to pay for
    > or is submitting a bug found in openSUSE free of charge?

    I submitted lots of bugs and never paid. The account you create is for the
    bug tracking system and the openSUSE wiki.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: bugreport = free?

    Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > I submitted lots of bugs and never paid. The account you create is for the
    > bug tracking system and the openSUSE wiki.

    Thank you, Andreas!

    Gr, Derk

  4. Re: bugreport = free?

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Derk wrote:
    >> I see that you have to create an account at Novell.com when one wants to
    >> report a bug to Bugzilla. Is this seen as support that one has to pay for
    >> or is submitting a bug found in openSUSE free of charge?

    > I submitted lots of bugs and never paid. The account you create is for the
    > bug tracking system and the openSUSE wiki.

    And for the paranoid, you can fill in anything you desire. The main
    thing is a working email adress. It is not as if the Novell Police will
    be coming after you or something.

    They just use the same system for their paying customers as well. Some
    people will have access to different parts of the bugs. e.g. not all
    securitybugs are open all the time.

    There is an agreement between distributions that certain security
    solutions will have a (I think 2 days) deleay, so that everybody in
    every distribution can submit the patch at the same time, making it ery
    hard to abuse.

    e.g. if DistroX would come out with a patch for ssh on friday evening
    _for an unknown bug_ then a cracker could abuse ity, reverse engineer
    the patch and abuse other systems, while they are still working on the
    solution.

    If they just inform everybody and wait a bit. They bring out the patch
    all together on mondaymorning. Much more secure, even tjough it is
    security through obscurity.

    houghi
    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...

  5. Re: bugreport = free?

    houghi wrote:

    > And for the paranoid, you can fill in anything you desire. The main
    > thing is a working email adress. It is not as if the Novell Police will
    > be coming after you or something.

    :-)

    Thanks for your answer!

    Gr, Derk