10.3 system does not shut down - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 system does not shut down - Suse ; I cannot shut down from openSUSE 10.3 - whether from the KDE logout menu, from Konsole with shutdown -h now, or halt, or from a text terminal at init 3. It echoes the TERM & KILL signals, warns me the ...

  1. 10.3 system does not shut down

    I cannot shut down from openSUSE 10.3 - whether from the KDE logout menu,
    from Konsole with shutdown -h now, or halt, or from a text terminal at init
    3.
    It echoes the TERM & KILL signals, warns me the system is going to shut
    down, appears to stop for around 2 seconds (fans, LEDs off) then reboots.
    (Reboot/Restart the computer works normally.)

    10.2 used to shut down fine - there have been no hardware changes since
    installing 10.3, - and a copy of Sabayon 3.4 (kernel 2.6.22-sabayon) on a
    different partition of the same drive shuts down & reboots fine.

    Google searches return info on problems with various laptop brands, and
    various suggestions that it may be something to do with the SATA drive -
    though a lot of these are old posts - and as I said, the same kit shut down
    fine under 10.2. I can't see that SUSE would have introduced a bug into
    10.3 that wasn't there before, but which does not affect a majority of
    users - this clearly isn't the case, or more people would be complaining!
    It must be me/my kit.

    I'd be grateful for some pointers as to where to look for a solution to
    this:

    *********************************

    System Info:

    openSUSE 10.3 x86_64 | KDE 3.5.7 release 72

    2.6.22.9-0.4-default #1 SMP 2007/10/05 21:32:04 UTC x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Asus P5VD1-X mobo, Pentium D 3.40GHz; 2.0GB RAM; Logitech Marble Mouse;
    Logitech keyboard, PNY Geforce 6600, Soundblaster Audigy, Multitech
    MT5634ZPX-PCI internal modem, cable broadband via Netgear WGR614 wireless
    router (wired connection), 1X WD 320GB SATA (SDA); 1X WD 100GB PATA (SDB),
    Philips Brilliance 190P monitor

    *********************************

    The end of /var/log/boot.omsg reads:

    Boot logging started on /dev/tty1(/dev/console) at Fri Oct 19 18:48:17 2007

    Master Resource Control: previous runlevel: 5, switching to runlevel: 0
    killproc: kill(2801,15)
    Shutting down service kdmdone
    killproc: kill(4008,15)
    killproc: kill(4019,15)
    Shutting down service kdmdone
    killproc: kill(4154,15)
    Shutting down cupsddone
    Shutting down esound done
    killproc: kill(3968,15)
    killproc: kill(4118,15)
    killproc: kill(4276,15)
    Shutting down CRON daemondone
    Shutting down Name Service Cache Daemondone
    killproc: kill(4125,15)
    killproc: kill(3964,15)
    Shutting down smartd done
    killproc: kill(3983,15)
    killproc: kill(3961,15)
    Shutting down irqbalance done
    killproc: kill(4128,15)
    Shutting down RPC portmap daemondone
    Shutting down mail service (Postfix)done
    Shutting down SMPPPDdone
    killproc: kill(4123,15)
    Shutting down auditd done
    Shutting down SSH daemondone
    Shutting down the Firewall skipped
    Shutting down Avahi DNS Configuration daemonShutting down sound driverdone
    done
    Shutting down Avahi daemondone
    Saving random seeddone
    done
    Shutting down powersaved done
    Umount SMB/ CIFS File Systems done
    Shutting down syslog serviceskillproc: kill(2550,15)
    killproc: kill(2530,15)
    done
    Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0 device: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    (rev 02)
    doneShutting down service
    network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .done
    Shutting down HAL daemonkillproc: kill(2640,15)
    done
    killproc: kill(2533,15)
    killproc: kill(2528,15)
    acpid: exiting

    killproc: kill(2553,15)
    Shutting down resource managerdone
    Shutting down acpid done
    Shutting down ConsoleKitdone
    Shutting down D-Bus daemonkillproc: kill(2524,15)
    done
    Running /etc/init.d/halt.local
    donekillproc: kill(27029,3)
    Sending all processes the TERM signal...
    done
    pidofproc: /sbin/blogd 27029

    ***************************************

  2. Re: 10.3 system does not shut down

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:14:59 +0000, Daud Daud wrote:
    >
    >> I can't see that SUSE would have introduced a bug into
    >> 10.3 that wasn't there before

    > Well, if it was introduced then it almost by definition wasn't there
    > before :-)
    >
    > Anyway, I just wanted to say that your optimism is an inspiration to us
    > all!
    >
    > Mark

    LOL Mark

    However ... if you read to the end of the sentence ...

    D2

  3. Re: 10.3 system does not shut down

    --
    Signature still pessimistic, even though bug-free.

  4. Re: 10.3 system does not shut down

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:14:59 +0000, Daud Daud wrote:

    > I cannot shut down from openSUSE 10.3 - whether from the KDE logout
    > menu, from Konsole with shutdown -h now, or halt, or from a text
    > terminal at init 3.

    I had the same problem and it does seem to be introduced in 10.3. It seems the boot
    loader defaults to acpi=off I replaced it with acpi=force and my problem was solved,
    worth a try.

    Tom

    --
    Become more Balanced www.shapeyourworld.ca

  5. Re: 10.3 system does not shut down

    Testy wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:14:59 +0000, Daud Daud wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot shut down from openSUSE 10.3 - whether from the KDE logout
    >> menu, from Konsole with shutdown -h now, or halt, or from a text
    >> terminal at init 3.

    > I had the same problem and it does seem to be introduced in 10.3. It seems
    > the boot loader defaults to acpi=off I replaced it with acpi=force and my
    > problem was solved, worth a try.
    >
    > Tom

    Thx Tom, but no luck I'm afraid. It still just reboots.

    D2

  6. Re: 10.3 system does not shut down - Solution

    Daud Daud wrote:

> [...]
    > killproc: kill(2530,15)
    > done
    > Shutting down network interfaces:
    > eth0 device: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
    > Controller
    > (rev 02)
    > doneShutting down service
    > network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .done
    > Shutting down HAL daemonkillproc: kill(2640,15)
    > done
    > killproc: kill(2533,15)
    > killproc: kill(2528,15)
    > acpid: exiting
    >

    > killproc: kill(2553,15)
    > Shutting down resource managerdone
    > Shutting down acpid done
    > Shutting down ConsoleKitdone
    > Shutting down D-Bus daemonkillproc: kill(2524,15)
    > done
    > Running /etc/init.d/halt.local
    > donekillproc: kill(27029,3)
    > Sending all processes the TERM signal...

    The problem is clearly somewhere in the (10.3 standard) 2.6.22.9-0.4 kernel.

    I updated to KOTD 2.6.23.1-20071029215823 and it now shuts down fine.

    Now to find out what overhead the new kernel will carry ... ;-)

    D2

+ Reply to Thread