HDPARM question - Suse

This is a discussion on HDPARM question - Suse ; I am having another bout of brain fade (recently turned 50) and can't find the KDE gui (was that Yast or Personal Settings ?) for adjusting the DMA mode of a hard drive. Please refresh my memory. P.S. This is ...

  1. HDPARM question

    I am having another bout of brain fade (recently turned 50) and can't find
    the KDE gui (was that Yast or Personal Settings ?) for adjusting the DMA
    mode of a hard drive. Please refresh my memory.

    P.S. This is my first post using 10.3, which I have now installed on 5
    boxes. So far this is a big improvement over 10.2 though some of the
    improvement may be due to the fact that a lot of hacking on 10.2 messed
    things up ! For now, and for the first time in a while I left off the
    gnome unstable installation source as that was causing troubles. Thanks
    for pointing that out Houghi. Yes Unstable means...Unstable...duh.

    :-)

  2. Re: HDPARM question

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > I am having another bout of brain fade (recently turned 50) and can't find
    > the KDE gui (was that Yast or Personal Settings ?) for adjusting the DMA
    > mode of a hard drive. Please refresh my memory.
    >
    > P.S. This is my first post using 10.3, which I have now installed on 5
    > boxes. So far this is a big improvement over 10.2 though some of the
    > improvement may be due to the fact that a lot of hacking on 10.2 messed
    > things up ! For now, and for the first time in a while I left off the
    > gnome unstable installation source as that was causing troubles. Thanks
    > for pointing that out Houghi. Yes Unstable means...Unstable...duh.
    >
    > :-)

    YAST --> System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  3. Re: HDPARM question

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> I am having another bout of brain fade (recently turned 50) and can't
    >> find the KDE gui (was that Yast or Personal Settings ?) for adjusting the
    >> DMA
    >> mode of a hard drive. Please refresh my memory.
    >>
    >> P.S. This is my first post using 10.3, which I have now installed on 5
    >> boxes. So far this is a big improvement over 10.2 though some of the
    >> improvement may be due to the fact that a lot of hacking on 10.2 messed
    >> things up ! For now, and for the first time in a while I left off the
    >> gnome unstable installation source as that was causing troubles. Thanks
    >> for pointing that out Houghi. Yes Unstable means...Unstable...duh.
    >>
    >> :-)

    > YAST --> System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA.

    Hmmmmm.. ? Using 10.3 I see these modules:

    Yast -> System:

    1. /etc/sysconfig editor
    2. Date and Time
    3. Language
    4. Profile Manager
    5. System Restoration
    6. System Settings
    7. Boot Loader
    8. LVM
    9. Partitioner
    10. System Backup
    11. System Services (Runlevel)

    No IDE Devices_Force_IDE_DMA or anything like that. Yast sees the disk as a
    SATA drive so maybe I need to install the Yast module for SCSI drives (this
    is /dev/sda). Perhaps me thinks but I'll wait until I finish the download
    I'm doing now (1.2 GB remaining) as I've finally taken the time to go
    through the entire alphabetical listing of available packages and
    added 'some' of what I want...

    Oh the joy !

    Thanks.

  4. Re: HDPARM question

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Michael Soibelman wrote:-

    >Darrell Stec wrote:

    >> YAST --> System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA.

    That's because it's missing a few bits. It should be:

    YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor -> Hardware -> IDE -> DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  5. Re: HDPARM question

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Michael Soibelman wrote:-
    >
    >>Darrell Stec wrote:

    >>> YAST --> System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA.

    > That's because it's missing a few bits. It should be:
    >
    > YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor -> Hardware -> IDE ->
    > DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Thank you.

  6. Re: HDPARM question

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am having another bout of brain fade (recently turned 50) and can't
    >>> find the KDE gui (was that Yast or Personal Settings ?) for adjusting
    >>> the DMA
    >>> mode of a hard drive. Please refresh my memory.
    >>>
    >>> P.S. This is my first post using 10.3, which I have now installed on 5
    >>> boxes. So far this is a big improvement over 10.2 though some of the
    >>> improvement may be due to the fact that a lot of hacking on 10.2 messed
    >>> things up ! For now, and for the first time in a while I left off the
    >>> gnome unstable installation source as that was causing troubles. Thanks
    >>> for pointing that out Houghi. Yes Unstable means...Unstable...duh.
    >>>
    >>> :-)

    >> YAST --> System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA.

    > Hmmmmm.. ? Using 10.3 I see these modules:
    >
    > Yast -> System:
    >
    > 1. /etc/sysconfig editor
    > 2. Date and Time
    > 3. Language
    > 4. Profile Manager
    > 5. System Restoration
    > 6. System Settings
    > 7. Boot Loader
    > 8. LVM
    > 9. Partitioner
    > 10. System Backup
    > 11. System Services (Runlevel)
    >
    > No IDE Devices_Force_IDE_DMA or anything like that. Yast sees the disk as
    > a SATA drive so maybe I need to install the Yast module for SCSI drives
    > (this
    > is /dev/sda). Perhaps me thinks but I'll wait until I finish the download
    > I'm doing now (1.2 GB remaining) as I've finally taken the time to go
    > through the entire alphabetical listing of available packages and
    > added 'some' of what I want...
    >
    > Oh the joy !
    >
    > Thanks.

    I left out a step. Sorry. It should be YAST --> /etc/sysconfig editor -->
    System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  7. Re: HDPARM question

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 02:32:17 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:

    > I left out a step. Sorry. It should be YAST --> /etc/sysconfig editor

    -->
    > System --> IDE DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA

    Boy the file...

    /etc/sysconfig/ide

    Is really anemic.

    /Suse/etc/sysconfig# cat ide

    ## Type: string
    ## Default: ""
    #
    # Force DMA mode for selected device. Use pairs :
    separated
    # by space - dma_mode can be "on" (enable default DMA mode), "off"
    (disable DMA
    # mode) or any mode supported by hdparm (e.g. "mdma2", "udma5", ...)
    # Example: "/dev/hdcff /dev/hdd:udma2"
    #
    DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA=""

    ========================

    I see no way to account for a mix of different devices that might
    require varying settings for a variety of devices.

    hdparm supports far more options (see man hdparm or hdparm -?) and they
    can be set differently for each device. Suse is only on my machine as a
    curiousity but what I'd do is rem the DEVICES_FORCE.... line and add my
    own hdparm statements to /etc/init.d/boot.local *optimized* for each
    device.

    I know I have a lot of options because if I run...

    hdparm -iI /dev/hde, I get...

    /dev/hde:

    Model=WDC WD1600JB-00REA0, FwRev=20.00K20, SerialNo=WD-WCANM8493346
    Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq
    }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=50
    BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=8192kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=268435455
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
    PIO modes: pio0 pio3 pio4
    DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
    AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
    Drive conforms to: Unspecified: ATA/ATAPI-1 ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3
    ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6 ATA/ATAPI-7

    * signifies the current active mode

    ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number: WDC WD1600JB-00REA0
    Serial Number: WD-WCANM8493346
    Firmware Revision: 20.00K20
    Standards:
    Supported: 7 6 5 4
    Likely used: 7
    Configuration:
    Logical max current
    cylinders 16383 16383
    heads 16 1
    sectors/track 63 63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors: 1032129
    LBA user addressable sectors: 268435455
    LBA48 user addressable sectors: 312581808
    device size with M = 1024*1024: 152627 MBytes
    device size with M = 1000*1000: 160041 MBytes (160 GB)
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific
    minimum
    R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 0
    Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
    Commands/features:
    Enabled Supported:
    * SMART feature set
    Security Mode feature set
    * Power Management feature set
    * Write cache
    * Look-ahead
    * Host Protected Area feature set
    * WRITE_BUFFER command
    * READ_BUFFER command
    * NOP cmd
    * DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
    SET_MAX security extension
    * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
    * 48-bit Address feature set
    * Device Configuration Overlay feature set
    * Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
    * FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
    * SMART error logging
    * SMART self-test