Any suggestions and advice welcome - Suse

This is a discussion on Any suggestions and advice welcome - Suse ; I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough. I want ...

  1. Any suggestions and advice welcome

    I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.

    I want the following set-up:

    Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.

    Disk setup is

    /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS
    /dev/hda3 10,1 GB 6,4 GB free / reiserfs
    /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /home reiserfs

    There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).

    What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

  2. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    John Jensen wrote:

    > I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    > Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    > latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.
    >
    > I want the following set-up:
    >
    > Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.
    >
    > Disk setup is
    >
    > /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS
    > /dev/hda3 10,1 GB 6,4 GB free / reiserfs
    > /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /home reiserfs
    >
    > There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).
    >
    > What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

    Though there are other solutions I found that this program was very easy to
    install, works well and is FREE...

    http://www.virtualbox.org/

    Just log in to your linux desktop and install it. Then start it up and
    install your OS.

    P.S. As I stated above there are other solutions available for free such as
    XEN but I don't have experience with them.

    Enjoy.

    P.S. #2. Using that other OS in this virtual machine will help isolate the
    bad things that can happen to you from your good Linux system.

  3. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > John Jensen wrote:
    >
    >> I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    >> Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    >> latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.
    >>
    >> I want the following set-up:
    >>
    >> Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.
    >>
    >> Disk setup is
    >>
    >> /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS
    >> /dev/hda3 10,1 GB 6,4 GB free / reiserfs
    >> /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /home reiserfs
    >>
    >> There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).
    >>
    >> What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

    > Though there are other solutions I found that this program was very easy
    > to install, works well and is FREE...
    >
    > http://www.virtualbox.org/
    >
    > Just log in to your linux desktop and install it. Then start it up and
    > install your OS.

    Installing Windows might be difficult this way for HP/Compaq computers that
    do not provide OS disks but rather have a full restoration technique (read
    that full erasure and installation) from a hidden D: drive partition. I
    don't think it will ever see the Linux partition.

    Do you have any experience with this? And I just heard that Dell is
    starting to do that too.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    > Installing Windows might be difficult this way for HP/Compaq computers
    > that do not provide OS disks but rather have a full restoration technique
    > (read
    > that full erasure and installation) from a hidden D: drive partition. I
    > don't think it will ever see the Linux partition.
    >
    > Do you have any experience with this? And I just heard that Dell is
    > starting to do that too.
    >

    >> P.S. As I stated above there are other solutions available for free such
    >> as XEN but I don't have experience with them.
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> P.S. #2. Using that other OS in this virtual machine will help isolate
    >> the bad things that can happen to you from your good Linux system.

    So it seems Hp and Dell really screw there customers this way ! Yes I've
    seen boxes with these so called recovery disks. They STINK! If you really
    must use Windows you're better off getting the retail version as to avoid
    your situation. If I'm not mistaken those systems also use 'middleware'
    which just makes for another layer (software) which causes problems in and
    of itself. I, for one, will stick to building my own computers and when/if
    need be, installing MS$ systems in a virtual machine or more likely on an
    old machine separate from my 'real' computers....

    MS = more **** !!!

    P.S. Sorry this doesn't help you but sometimes the truth hurts. :-(

    Also, the few programs I do use that are MS based work absolutely well using
    WINE... I have no gripes with proprietarty MS compatible apps so long as I
    don't need MS to run them.

  5. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 02:15 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > > Installing Windows might be difficult this way for HP/Compaq computers
    > > that do not provide OS disks but rather have a full restoration technique
    > > (read
    > > that full erasure and installation) from a hidden D: drive partition. I
    > > don't think it will ever see the Linux partition.
    > >
    > > Do you have any experience with this? And I just heard that Dell is
    > > starting to do that too.
    > >

    > >> P.S. As I stated above there are other solutions available for free such
    > >> as XEN but I don't have experience with them.
    > >>
    > >> Enjoy.
    > >>
    > >> P.S. #2. Using that other OS in this virtual machine will help isolate
    > >> the bad things that can happen to you from your good Linux system.

    > So it seems Hp and Dell really screw there customers this way ! Yes I've
    > seen boxes with these so called recovery disks. They STINK! If you really
    > must use Windows you're better off getting the retail version as to avoid
    > your situation. If I'm not mistaken those systems also use 'middleware'
    > which just makes for another layer (software) which causes problems in and
    > of itself. I, for one, will stick to building my own computers and when/if
    > need be, installing MS$ systems in a virtual machine or more likely on an
    > old machine separate from my 'real' computers....

    Actually, HP and Dell recovery CDs are some of the better ones.

    The retail version of Windows XP does not necessarily have the drivers
    to even be able to be installed onto newer hardware.... thus the reason
    for OEM "recovery" CD's and the such.

    I agree that the best solution is to eliminate Windows altogether
    though, or at least put it inside of a virtual machine hosted on
    Linux. The virtual machine abstracts the hardware so that a
    retail version of Windows CAN be installed without issue.

  6. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:11:48 +0100, John Jensen typed this message:

    > I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    > Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    > latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.
    >
    > I want the following set-up:
    >
    > Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.
    >
    > Disk setup is
    >
    > /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS /dev/hda3 10,1 GB

    6,4 GB
    > free / reiserfs /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /home
    > reiserfs
    >
    > There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).
    >
    > What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

    Nothing wrong with your allocation for a 80Gb HD.

    Except it seems to me you don't have enough free space left on your
    Windows install. If you're running Windows programs you need more free
    space for your paging and temporary files. Lack of free space also
    affects your Windows virtual memory.

    GParted Live should be able to non-destructively reallocate some free
    space from Linux to the Windows drive.

  7. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    noi ance wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:11:48 +0100, John Jensen typed this message:
    >
    >> I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    >> Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    >> latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.
    >>
    >> I want the following set-up:
    >>
    >> Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.
    >>
    >> Disk setup is
    >>
    >> /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS /dev/hda3 10,1 GB

    > 6,4 GB
    >> free / reiserfs /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /home
    >> reiserfs
    >>
    >> There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).
    >>
    >> What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

    > Nothing wrong with your allocation for a 80Gb HD.
    >
    > Except it seems to me you don't have enough free space left on your
    > Windows install. If you're running Windows programs you need more free
    > space for your paging and temporary files. Lack of free space also
    > affects your Windows virtual memory.
    >
    > GParted Live should be able to non-destructively reallocate some free
    > space from Linux to the Windows drive.

    The lack of free space onthe Windows partition can easily corrected,
    it's my daughters movies and we move them onto some DVD's.
    The XP pro is a retail version, I have the original disk, so the problem
    with the 'recover' version doesn't exist.
    I only use Windows for a few games, and the websites where I use my
    digital signature, as I can't find out how to make my signature work in
    Firefox on Linux. The digital signature provider only offers support on
    Windows, and I am fighting a major battle with them on thisissue. It's
    illegal according to local law. I'm sure if I sent out a 'help' message
    on that problem, I would only use Windows for 2 games: Civilization and
    Sim City.

    So the solution is:

    Clean out the C:/drive. There's nothing there I don't have on CD's,
    OpenOffice, Firefox and some games.
    Format it?
    Download and install virtualbox. Not WM-ware?
    Start the 'virtual box programme' and install XP pro from the CD onto
    the old Windows partition. This is normally 'read-only' seen from Linux,
    but I suppose the virtual box install overcomes this?

    Correct?

    Anyway, it's always nice coming here, instant help and advice on your
    fingertips.

  8. Re: Any suggestions and advice welcome

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:30:10 +0100, John Jensen typed this message:

    > noi ance wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:11:48 +0100, John Jensen typed this message:
    >>
    >>> I have used Windows for a few things, and dualbooted between XPpor and
    >>> Suse 10.1, no big problems, and always on the windows side. Now the
    >>> latest patch smashed my NIC again. I've had it, enough is enough.
    >>>
    >>> I want the following set-up:
    >>>
    >>> Linux as sole OS, and Windows XPpro on tip of it.
    >>>
    >>> Disk setup is
    >>>
    >>> /dev/hda1 19,5 GB 1.2 GB free C:\ NTFS /dev/hda3 10,1 GB

    >> 6,4 GB
    >>> free / reiserfs /dev/hda6 43,9 GB 24,6 GB free /

    home
    >>> reiserfs
    >>>
    >>> There's no space for an extra disk in the PC (Shuttle barebone).
    >>>
    >>> What to install, and how and where. Current OS is Suse 10.1.

    >> Nothing wrong with your allocation for a 80Gb HD.
    >>
    >> Except it seems to me you don't have enough free space left on your
    >> Windows install. If you're running Windows programs you need more
    >> free space for your paging and temporary files. Lack of free space
    >> also affects your Windows virtual memory.
    >>
    >> GParted Live should be able to non-destructively reallocate some free
    >> space from Linux to the Windows drive.

    > The lack of free space onthe Windows partition can easily corrected,
    > it's my daughters movies and we move them onto some DVD's. The XP pro is
    > a retail version, I have the original disk, so the problem with the
    > 'recover' version doesn't exist. I only use Windows for a few games, and
    > the websites where I use my digital signature, as I can't find out how
    > to make my signature work in Firefox on Linux. The digital signature
    > provider only offers support on Windows, and I am fighting a major
    > battle with them on thisissue. It's illegal according to local law. I'm
    > sure if I sent out a 'help' message on that problem, I would only use
    > Windows for 2 games: Civilization and Sim City.
    >
    > So the solution is:
    >
    > Clean out the C:/drive. There's nothing there I don't have on CD's,
    > OpenOffice, Firefox and some games.
    > Format it?
    > Download and install virtualbox. Not WM-ware? Start the 'virtual box
    > programme' and install XP pro from the CD onto the old Windows
    > partition. This is normally 'read-only' seen from Linux, but I suppose
    > the virtual box install overcomes this?
    >
    > Correct?
    >
    > Anyway, it's always nice coming here, instant help and advice on your
    > fingertips.

    So??? Did the format and "Not WM-ware" work? FWIW I would have tried
    Wine with IE under Linux for the Windows stuff first.

+ Reply to Thread