Alternative to rar split files? - Suse

This is a discussion on Alternative to rar split files? - Suse ; Nikos Chantziaras wrote: > Luca wrote: >> unrar isn't the issue here. it's rar that puts me out. >> I mean, even WinRar keeps working in all directions after the trial >> period has expired. You get a nagbox and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Alternative to rar split files?

  1. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Luca wrote:
    >> unrar isn't the issue here. it's rar that puts me out.
    >> I mean, even WinRar keeps working in all directions after the trial
    >> period has expired. You get a nagbox and that's it. But ironically, on
    >> Linux, command line rar basically just tells you "**** you, pay me."
    >> I don't get it...

    >
    > You can get 7-zip though.


    You can use zip, bzip, gzip and use split to break them up.

  2. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    > Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >>> Go to > http://www.crack.ms/ and find a key for it.

    >>
    >> I have always had this naive illusion that the reason why linux people
    >> (such as myself) use linux is so that they don't *have* to pirate
    >> software. In other words, one of the reason for linux advocacy is
    >> aversion towards pirated software, linux being a good legal alternative
    >> to expensive commercial systems.
    >>
    >> I surely know this is not the case with all linux users, but I have
    >> always liked to think it is (call me naive if you want). It saddens me
    >> to see concrete evidence that this is indeed not so...

    >
    > All software should be free.


    I disagree. I think it is perfect that you have the option to buy e.g. a
    boxed openSUSE or that you buy SLES and SLED. Hell, if people have a
    choice 9which they do not have now) and they want to nuy Windows, let
    them.

    It is about choice and I am not goibng to force my choice on others

    houghi
    --



    This space left blank intentionaly

  3. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    houghi wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    >> All software should be free.

    >
    > I disagree. I think it is perfect that you have the option to buy e.g. a
    > boxed openSUSE or that you buy SLES and SLED.


    You're still confusing free beer with freedom of speech. Broderick
    didn't mean that all software should be obtainable only at no cost...
    That's even against the point of most open source licenses.

  4. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:
    >>> All software should be free.

    >>
    >> I disagree. I think it is perfect that you have the option to buy e.g. a
    >> boxed openSUSE or that you buy SLES and SLED.

    >
    > You're still confusing free beer with freedom of speech. Broderick
    > didn't mean that all software should be obtainable only at no cost...
    > That's even against the point of most open source licenses.


    I did not confuse anything. The reason I explained that people should be
    able to buy Windows shows that I was fully aware of 'free' in both beer
    and speech.

    If people desire, they should be able to make closed source software and
    buy that. It would not be my choice, but still ...

    houghi
    --



    This space left blank intentionaly

  5. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Broderick Crawford ilililililil wrote:

    > You can use zip, bzip, gzip and use split to break them up.


    We've been through the "split" discussion above...
    The question would be what the best packer/splitter is to achieve a
    maximum of platform-independent compatibility. So far, hjsplit looks
    like the best option, cos it's available for free for Mac, Win and
    Linux. Even as a Java app without having to install it.

    Luca
    --
    "**** a mic check, I bring my flow in cash."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3