Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

  1. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On 2007-10-30, Uwe Grauer wrote:
    >>> type file2 >> file1
    >>> type file3 >> file1

    >> Type is usually used for viewing text files, similar to more. Either of
    >> these would possibly be the better choice:
    >>
    >> copy /b file1+file2+file3+file4 complete.file
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> copy /b file* complete.file

    > Any arguments why type can't be used or why copy should be saver?

    None.

    It used to matter, a *very* long time ago. I remember from my first PC (DOS
    2.40) that the TYPE command was only used for text files. It would show
    binary files, until it hit a char 26, which was used as EOF marker in text
    files. That's where the /b option of the COPY command comes from. You had to
    use it, if you wanted a binary copy.

    That's no longer true since at least DOS 5.x, probably 3.x.

    But as you can see - even from my posts - old habits don't die. I'm still
    putting the /b after COPY, knowing perfectly it's pointless. :-)

    Douglas Adams

  2. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:52:19 +0100, Luca
    wrote:

    >Is there a workaround to keep rar functioning after the trial period?

    alt.binaries.cracks or serialz2000 or the like.

  3. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:11:22 +0000, David Bolt
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Uwe Grauer wrote:-
    >
    >>Luca wrote:

    >>> Yeah, works nicely. I just wonder if Windows and Mac users could join
    >>> the bits again...
    >>>
    >>> Luca

    >>type file2 >> file1
    >>type file3 >> file1

    >Type is usually used for viewing text files, similar to more. Either of
    >these would possibly be the better choice:

    Type is good for piping text off to a printer, or piping summated
    *text* files into one file. Not good for binaries in DOS though.

    >copy /b file1+file2+file3+file4 complete.file

    Perfect.

    >or
    >
    >copy /b file* complete.file

    Only if their file name sequencing follows. The command will add in
    exact order with your first command syntax , but your second can sequence
    incorrectly.

    >Regards,
    > David Bolt

  4. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:18:25 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    wrote:

    >Luca wrote:
    >>David Bolt wrote:

    >>> I mentioned copy because you mentioned whether Windows users could
    >>> rejoin the files. They're commands entered at the "DOS" prompt.

    >>See, this I didn't get. So people could use the command prompt on Win...
    >> good to know, for me. Unfortunately, this may not be user-friendly
    >>enough (read: absolutely foolproof enough). Remember: most people have
    >>no experience whatsoever with command lines, and they're afraid of using
    >>them - probably better that way...

    >You've just pointed out what is wrong with GUI interfaces. They
    >can't do everything. In fact, they can't do *anything* out of
    >the ordinary.
    >
    >The user of a GUI becomes a slave to what the programmers have
    >provided.
    >
    >Which is why I object to linux distros becoming *too* Windows-like.
    >
    >On the other hand, a GUI is very useful for folks who just want
    >to get some work done. I use KDE extensively, but much of what
    >I do is done in shell konsole.

    We're impressed. :-]

  5. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, IAmTheSlime wrote:-

    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:11:22 +0000, David Bolt
    >wrote:

    >>copy /b file* complete.file
    >>

    > Only if their file name sequencing follows. The command will add in
    >exact order with your first command syntax , but your second can sequence
    >incorrectly.

    If the sequence is produced by split, hjsplit, lxsplit, or similar, it
    should be in sequence. Of course, there's the possibility that using a
    wildcard may not work as either DOS, or the DOS box/Command prompt of
    Windows, decides to randomize the sort order.

    Since my Windows system has both lxsplit and hjsplit available, and I
    prefer to use Cygwin to the Command Prompt, the use of copy or type
    doesn't bother me.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  6. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > Go to > http://www.crack.ms/ and find a key for it.

    I have always had this naive illusion that the reason why linux people
    (such as myself) use linux is so that they don't *have* to pirate
    software. In other words, one of the reason for linux advocacy is
    aversion towards pirated software, linux being a good legal alternative
    to expensive commercial systems.

    I surely know this is not the case with all linux users, but I have
    always liked to think it is (call me naive if you want). It saddens me
    to see concrete evidence that this is indeed not so...

  7. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    jonny wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:52:19 +0100, Luca wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a workaround to keep rar functioning after the trial period?

    I don't understand your question.

    Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  8. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > To make the batch, just create a file called 'glue.cmd', and put the line:
    > copy /b part1.dat+part2.dat+part3.dat+part4.dat total.dat
    > ... in it. That's how simple it is.

    I'll actually test that... but not on my own computer...
    Thanks.

    Luca
    --
    "**** a mic check, I bring my flow in cash."

  9. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:03:53 +0200, Vahis wrote:

    > jonny wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:52:19 +0100, Luca wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a workaround to keep rar functioning after the trial period?

    > I don't understand your question.
    >
    > Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    There is, from the licence.txt:

    "2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days.
    Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to
    continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license."

    I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

  10. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    jonny wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:03:53 +0200, Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> jonny wrote:

    >> I don't understand your question.
    >>
    >> Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    > There is, from the licence.txt:
    >
    > "2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days.
    > Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to
    > continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license."
    >
    > I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    > Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    Where is this licence.txt?

    I have not installed rar separately, it's just there within the default
    installation of openSUSE 10.3 KDE.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  11. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On 2007-10-31, Luca wrote:
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >
    >> To make the batch, just create a file called 'glue.cmd', and put the line:
    >> copy /b part1.dat+part2.dat+part3.dat+part4.dat total.dat
    >> ... in it. That's how simple it is.

    > I'll actually test that... but not on my own computer...
    > Thanks.

    Mine came from Packman.

    Douglas Adams

  12. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Vahis wrote:
    > jonny wrote:

    >>> I don't understand your question.
    >>>
    >>> Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    >> There is, from the licence.txt:
    >>
    >> "2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days.
    >> Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to
    >> continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license."
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    >> Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    > Where is this licence.txt?
    >
    > I have not installed rar separately, it's just there within the default
    > installation of openSUSE 10.3 KDE.
    >
    > Vahis

    I took a closer look.

    It seems to be from Packman.

    I also found the /usr/share/doc/packages/rar/license.txt

    It says there that it can be used for 40 days and then you need a licence.

    OK, let's see. Probably I've forgotten about this in 40 days.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  13. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    I did made a Split.exe a long time ago.

    I can provide the binary but I lost track of the code (in standard C
    language).

    The program is a command line that have some known split file sizes,
    like floppy disks. But can also process any desired size entered in
    bytes!

    Then generates the files with an ordered number as extension. After
    having the files in a folder, the user only needs to execute a
    "unsplit.bat" (even in Windows Explorer) file that uses "copy /b" to
    obtain the file with the original filename.

    Just let me know if you want this freeware program.

  14. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:32:22 +0200, Juha Nieminen
    wrote:

    >Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >> Go to > http://www.crack.ms/ and find a key for it.

    > I have always had this naive illusion that the reason why linux people
    >(such as myself) use linux is so that they don't *have* to pirate
    >software. In other words, one of the reason for linux advocacy is
    >aversion towards pirated software, linux being a good legal alternative
    >to expensive commercial systems.
    >
    > I surely know this is not the case with all linux users, but I have
    >always liked to think it is (call me naive if you want). It saddens me
    >to see concrete evidence that this is indeed not so...

    Ever use "zip" files?

    Ever pay the guy that authored the software that became a de facto
    standard?

    Rar is another archiving software. It will likely see similar abuse as
    the author of the zip format has.

  15. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:58:26 GMT, jonny wrote:

    >On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:03:53 +0200, Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> jonny wrote:

    >> I don't understand your question.
    >>
    >> Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    >There is, from the licence.txt:
    >
    >"2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days.
    > Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to
    > continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license."
    >
    >I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    >Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    No. I think in Linux, it simply remains operational, and the user is on
    his or her honor to pay. No nags... no concatenation...

    I'll bet it keeps working just fine. Updates, etc. no problem.

  16. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:07:43 +0200, Vahis
    wrote:

    >jonny wrote:

    >>> I don't understand your question.
    >>>
    >>> Rar is in openSUSE, there's no trial period.

    >> There is, from the licence.txt:
    >>
    >> "2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days.
    >> Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to
    >> continue to use RAR, you must purchase a license."
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    >> Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    >Where is this licence.txt?
    >
    >I have not installed rar separately, it's just there within the default
    >installation of openSUSE 10.3 KDE.
    >
    >Vahis

    Code:

    rar -?

    No?

  17. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:58:26 GMT, jonny wrote:

    >> I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I believe
    >> Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    > No. I think in Linux, it simply remains operational, and the user is on
    > his or her honor to pay. No nags... no concatenation...
    >
    > I'll bet it keeps working just fine. Updates, etc. no problem.

    unrar isn't the issue here. it's rar that puts me out.
    I mean, even WinRar keeps working in all directions after the trial
    period has expired. You get a nagbox and that's it. But ironically, on
    Linux, command line rar basically just tells you "**** you, pay me."
    I don't get it...

    Luca
    --
    "**** a mic check, I bring my flow in cash."

  18. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Luca wrote:

    > ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:58:26 GMT, jonny wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure if it's crippled, nag or what after the 40days. I
    >>> believe Unrar is freeware but of course you can't create rar files.

    >> No. I think in Linux, it simply remains operational, and the user
    >> is on
    >> his or her honor to pay. No nags... no concatenation...
    >>
    >> I'll bet it keeps working just fine. Updates, etc. no problem.

    > unrar isn't the issue here. it's rar that puts me out.
    > I mean, even WinRar keeps working in all directions after the trial
    > period has expired. You get a nagbox and that's it. But ironically, on
    > Linux, command line rar basically just tells you "**** you, pay me."
    > I don't get it...
    >
    > Luca

    I don't get that ! I use rar/unrar without any nagboxes or pay
    messages.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  19. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Luca wrote:
    > unrar isn't the issue here. it's rar that puts me out.
    > I mean, even WinRar keeps working in all directions after the trial
    > period has expired. You get a nagbox and that's it. But ironically, on
    > Linux, command line rar basically just tells you "**** you, pay me."
    > I don't get it...

    You can get 7-zip though.

  20. Re: Alternative to rar split files?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >> Go to > http://www.crack.ms/ and find a key for it.

    > I have always had this naive illusion that the reason why linux people
    > (such as myself) use linux is so that they don't *have* to pirate
    > software. In other words, one of the reason for linux advocacy is
    > aversion towards pirated software, linux being a good legal alternative
    > to expensive commercial systems.
    >
    > I surely know this is not the case with all linux users, but I have
    > always liked to think it is (call me naive if you want). It saddens me
    > to see concrete evidence that this is indeed not so...

    All software should be free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast