hdd to usb - Suse

This is a discussion on hdd to usb - Suse ; what is the average speed from hdd to usb stick using usb2 i get about 160KB/s but form usb stick to hard drive i get about 960KB/s i am running an amd X2 64 5600 with opensuse 10.2 32 bit ...

  1. hdd to usb

    what is the average speed from hdd to usb stick using usb2
    i get about 160KB/s

    but form usb stick to hard drive i get about 960KB/s

    i am running an amd X2 64 5600 with opensuse 10.2 32 bit
    2gig of ram

    is there a way to speed up transfer from hdd to usb

  2. Re: hdd to usb

    darklight schrieb:

    > what is the average speed from hdd to usb stick using usb2
    > i get about 160KB/s

    Too slow. Average should be ablout 15 MB/s.

    > but form usb stick to hard drive i get about 960KB/s

    Too slow.

    > is there a way to speed up transfer from hdd to usb

    You probably have the sync-option enabled in the mount command. Try to
    mount the usb devices without the sync option. But take care to disconnect
    the devices after a write process not before you issue a sync-command on
    the command line to empty the write buffer to the media.

    Martin.

  3. Re: hdd to usb

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > · darklight schrieb:
    >
    >> what is the average speed from hdd to usb stick using usb2
    >> i get about 160KB/s

    > Too slow. Average should be ablout 15 MB/s.
    >
    >> but form usb stick to hard drive i get about 960KB/s

    > Too slow.
    >
    >> is there a way to speed up transfer from hdd to usb

    > You probably have the sync-option enabled in the mount command. Try to
    > mount the usb devices without the sync option. But take care to
    > disconnect the devices after a write process not before you issue a
    > sync-command on the command line to empty the write buffer to the media.
    >
    > Martin.

    thanks that worked a treat now i get 58 MB/s from hdd to usb stick
    and 35 MB/s from usb to hdd thanks again

    had to go into my computer to change it thou

+ Reply to Thread