XGL, Compiz and KDE (again) - Suse

This is a discussion on XGL, Compiz and KDE (again) - Suse ; Hello, After updating to SuSE 10.3 I though to give XGL and Compiz another try. After adding XGL to to kdmrc and restarting the X XGL and Compiz started ok. But then it happened: A tiny window appeared in the ...

  1. XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Hello,

    After updating to SuSE 10.3 I though to give XGL and Compiz another try.
    After adding XGL to to kdmrc and restarting the X XGL and Compiz started
    ok. But then it happened: A tiny window appeared in the top left corner of
    the screen - just as a few pixes higher then the title bar and about about
    twice as wide.

    That would not have been a problem - but another one appeared just below,
    And another one. In less then second the full screen height was filled and
    a 2nd column was started. After about five sec half the screen was full.

    It would not stop. Or reaching the right side of the screen it would
    continue on the left. Nothing to be done except killing the X session.

    Any ideas?

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  2. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > Any ideas?

    openSUSE 10.3 & one click install
    with KDE -->
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...fusion-kde.ymp

    with Gnome -->
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...sion-gnome.ymp

    http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > Compiz started ok

    A little afterthought: Once XGL is active it's allways Compiz which is
    started as WindowManager - Not Kwin, not Beryl. I looked hard and I could
    not find the place where it is done. Is there anyway at all change that? -
    Apart from the brute force way of using "kwin --replace" that is.

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  4. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    EOS wrote:

    > Martin Krischik wrote:
    >
    >> Any ideas?

    > openSUSE 10.3 & one click install
    > with KDE -->

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...fusion-kde.ymp

    Sounds great... but that doesn't actually do anything on my 10.3 system. The
    installation progressed normally. Downloaded everything it needed. No
    errors, etc.

    nVidia drivers are installed and working. I have compiz selected as my
    window manager and emerald as my window decorator. The theme manager shows
    me a bunch of themes, but they don't do anything. Settings manager shows
    that I have the Desktop Cube, Zoom Desktop and several items selected, but
    I don't see any of it happening.

    I've restarted the system but no change.

  5. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Noozer wrote:

    > EOS wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Krischik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> openSUSE 10.3 & one click install
    >> with KDE -->

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...fusion-kde.ymp

    > Sounds great... but that doesn't actually do anything on my 10.3 system.
    > The installation progressed normally. Downloaded everything it needed. No
    > errors, etc.
    >
    > nVidia drivers are installed and working. I have compiz selected as my
    > window manager and emerald as my window decorator. The theme manager shows
    > me a bunch of themes, but they don't do anything. Settings manager shows
    > that I have the Desktop Cube, Zoom Desktop and several items selected, but
    > I don't see any of it happening.
    >
    > I've restarted the system but no change.

    if you like beryl i would go back to 10.2 as xgl compiz-fusion are a pain

  6. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Noozer wrote:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...fusion-kde.ymp

    > Sounds great... but that doesn't actually do anything on my 10.3 system.
    > The installation progressed normally. Downloaded everything it needed. No
    > errors, etc.
    >
    > nVidia drivers are installed and working. I have compiz selected as my
    > window manager and emerald as my window decorator. The theme manager shows
    > me a bunch of themes, but they don't do anything. Settings manager shows
    > that I have the Desktop Cube, Zoom Desktop and several items selected, but
    > I don't see any of it happening.
    >
    > I've restarted the system but no change.

    didn't see before that you are using nvidia drivers.
    look here maby that will help.
    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA#openSUSE_10.3

    i did the one click install without ATI drivers installed,
    and that works great for me.
    openSUSE 10.3 32bit / P4 3.4 / ATI card RV280 5964
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  7. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > A little afterthought: Once XGL is active it's allways Compiz which is
    > started as WindowManager - Not Kwin, not Beryl. I looked hard and I could
    > not find the place where it is done. Is there anyway at all change that? -
    > Apart from the brute force way of using "kwin --replace" that is.

    touch $HOME/.config/compiz/disable-compiz (to disable Compiz at startup)
    rm $HOME/.config/compiz/disable-compiz (to enable Compiz to autostart on
    login)

    read slow this webpage ;-)
    http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  8. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    "EOS" wrote in message
    > Noozer wrote:
    >

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...fusion-kde.ymp
    >>
    >> Sounds great... but that doesn't actually do anything on my 10.3 system.
    >> The installation progressed normally. Downloaded everything it needed. No
    >> errors, etc.
    >>
    >> nVidia drivers are installed and working. I have compiz selected as my
    >> window manager and emerald as my window decorator. The theme manager
    >> shows
    >> me a bunch of themes, but they don't do anything. Settings manager shows
    >> that I have the Desktop Cube, Zoom Desktop and several items selected,
    >> but
    >> I don't see any of it happening.
    >>
    >> I've restarted the system but no change.

    > didn't see before that you are using nvidia drivers.

    I wasn't the original poster... Just providing some feedback from when I
    tried the one-click install just a few minutes earlier.

    > look here maby that will help.
    > http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA#openSUSE_10.3

    Thanks! I'll give it a go once I back at my OpenSUSE desktop

  9. Re: XGL, Compiz and KDE (again)

    Noozer wrote:

    > I wasn't the original poster... Just providing some feedback from when I
    > tried the one-click install just a few minutes earlier.

    oh sorry ;-)
    my mouse slipt away..........
    --
    EOS