K3b and OpenSuse 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on K3b and OpenSuse 10.3 - Suse ; My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    burn DVD's in 10.3?

    Thanks

    Jim

  2. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    > the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    > it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    > burn DVD's in 10.3?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim

    id dvd+rw-tools installed and what version of K3B are you using

  3. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    darklight wrote:
    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    >> the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    >> it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    >> burn DVD's in 10.3?
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jim

    > id dvd+rw-tools installed and what version of K3B are you using

    The K3b is 1.0.3 new version, never seen that one before. I kind of
    think it is the underlying software not K3b that may be the problem as I
    tried Brasero as well with the same results. Dvd+rw-tools is 7.0-49

    Thanks

  4. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > darklight wrote:
    >> Jim Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    >>> the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    >>> it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    >>> burn DVD's in 10.3?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> id dvd+rw-tools installed and what version of K3B are you using

    > The K3b is 1.0.3 new version, never seen that one before. I kind of
    > think it is the underlying software not K3b that may be the problem as I
    > tried Brasero as well with the same results. Dvd+rw-tools is 7.0-49
    >
    > Thanks

    did you look at the rights of your dvd writer (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1), I
    would guess you don't have write rights
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  5. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Bill P wrote:
    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> darklight wrote:

    >>> id dvd+rw-tools installed and what version of K3B are you using

    >> The K3b is 1.0.3 new version, never seen that one before. I kind of
    >> think it is the underlying software not K3b that may be the problem as I
    >> tried Brasero as well with the same results. Dvd+rw-tools is 7.0-49
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > did you look at the rights of your dvd writer (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1), I
    > would guess you don't have write rights

    It acts like it writes, because the disc, is rejected if you try to
    write to it with another machine, it just apparently is writing garbage.

    Jim

  6. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > Bill P wrote:
    >> Jim Jones wrote:

    >>> The K3b is 1.0.3 new version, never seen that one before. I kind of
    >>> think it is the underlying software not K3b that may be the problem as I
    >>> tried Brasero as well with the same results. Dvd+rw-tools is 7.0-49
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> did you look at the rights of your dvd writer (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1), I
    >> would guess you don't have write rights

    > It acts like it writes, because the disc, is rejected if you try to
    > write to it with another machine, it just apparently is writing garbage.
    >
    > Jim

    My DVD stopped burning too however this was just before burning the third CD
    (which I needed for another older machine). It turned out to be the DVD
    burner itself. Can you test it with another LiveCD/DVD OS, or have you
    done that already? Coincidences do happen.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  7. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Bill P wrote:

    >>> did you look at the rights of your dvd writer (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1), I
    >>> would guess you don't have write rights

    >> It acts like it writes, because the disc, is rejected if you try to
    >> write to it with another machine, it just apparently is writing garbage.
    >>
    >> Jim

    > My DVD stopped burning too however this was just before burning the third CD
    > (which I needed for another older machine). It turned out to be the DVD
    > burner itself. Can you test it with another LiveCD/DVD OS, or have you
    > done that already? Coincidences do happen.

    I burned a CD with it, it burned fine, is it the same burner that burns
    both?

  8. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:54:10 -0500, Jim Jones wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> Jim Jones wrote:

    >>> It acts like it writes, because the disc, is rejected if you try to
    >>> write to it with another machine, it just apparently is writing
    >>> garbage.
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> My DVD stopped burning too however this was just before burning the
    >> third CD (which I needed for another older machine). It turned out to
    >> be the DVD burner itself. Can you test it with another LiveCD/DVD OS,
    >> or have you done that already? Coincidences do happen.
    >>

    > I burned a CD with it, it burned fine, is it the same burner that burns
    > both?

    Is this something to do with the problem?

    http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/op...TES.en.html#14

    Perhaps you can find help at the cdrkit site

    http://www.cdrkit.org/

    JohnK

    JohnK

  9. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    JohnK wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:54:10 -0500, Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Darrell Stec wrote:

    >>> My DVD stopped burning too however this was just before burning the
    >>> third CD (which I needed for another older machine). It turned out to
    >>> be the DVD burner itself. Can you test it with another LiveCD/DVD OS,
    >>> or have you done that already? Coincidences do happen.
    >>>

    >> I burned a CD with it, it burned fine, is it the same burner that burns
    >> both?

    > Is this something to do with the problem?
    >
    > http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/op...TES.en.html#14
    >
    > Perhaps you can find help at the cdrkit site
    >
    > http://www.cdrkit.org/
    >
    > JohnK
    >
    > JohnK

    It is actually working now. I had to slow the burner all the way down to
    4x. When I did that it statred burning correctly. Everything else is
    also working ok now.

    Thanks

    Jim

  10. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    JohnK wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:26:32 -0500, JohnK wrote:
    >
    >> Is this something to do with the problem?
    >>
    >> http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/op...TES.en.html#14
    >>
    >> Perhaps you can find help at the cdrkit site
    >>
    >> http://www.cdrkit.org/
    >>
    >> JohnK
    >>
    >> JohnK

    > More on the issue here...
    >
    > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html
    >
    > JohnK

    Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true
    and somethings are blatantly false. Somebody has
    an axe to grind and spends a lot of time grinding it.
    Somebody believes the GPL is inherently evil in all
    "forms". Somebody wants to profit from their work (which
    isn't wrong... just need to understand the motives).

    Some people accept community involvement and others
    whine when people are FORCED to do things because
    somebody really didn't want anyone to help them (they
    aren't really FOSS supporters... just glory seekers).

  11. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > darklight wrote:
    >> Jim Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    >>> the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    >>> it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    >>> burn DVD's in 10.3?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> id dvd+rw-tools installed and what version of K3B are you using

    > The K3b is 1.0.3 new version, never seen that one before. I kind of
    > think it is the underlying software not K3b that may be the problem as I
    > tried Brasero as well with the same results. Dvd+rw-tools is 7.0-49
    >
    > Thanks

    question is your dvd drive an old one because if i remember correctly that i
    could not rip or burn a dvd so i got a new one and all was ok

  12. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <13i5jj08a8kn1b2@corp.supernews.com>,
    Jim Jones <"okieman7 At cableone dot net"> wrote:
    >My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    >the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    >it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    >burn DVD's in 10.3?

    Suse now comes with wodim instead of cdrecord.

    While cdrecord supports to write DVDs, wodim does not really.....

    I recommend to first upgrade to a recent original free cdrtools version
    from:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    Make sure to install cdrecord, readcd & cdda2wav suid root.

    If you still have problems with programs like K3b, remove the file
    /bin/wodim and replace it by a symbolic link to /bin/cdrecord.
    This may be needed in case that somebody did modify the k3b sources
    to not search for cdrecord anymore.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  13. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <13i9d2mel8glf7e@corp.supernews.com>,
    Jim Jones <"okieman7 At cableone dot net"> wrote:

    >> Perhaps you can find help at the cdrkit site
    >>
    >> http://www.cdrkit.org/
    >>
    >> JohnK
    >>
    >> JohnK

    >It is actually working now. I had to slow the burner all the way down to
    >4x. When I did that it statred burning correctly. Everything else is
    >also working ok now.

    Instead of using the unmaintained wodim that does not even correctly support
    DVDs, you should upgrade to the free original from:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  14. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <13iamm2qv8ettc3@corp.supernews.com>,
    Chris Cox wrote:

    >> More on the issue here...
    >>
    >> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html
    >>
    >> JohnK

    >Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true
    >and somethings are blatantly false. Somebody has
    >an axe to grind and spends a lot of time grinding it.
    >Somebody believes the GPL is inherently evil in all
    >"forms". Somebody wants to profit from their work (which
    >isn't wrong... just need to understand the motives).

    It is bad to see that a few people at Debian try to attack
    a free software project in order to get personal profit.
    I believe that this is not OK.

    >Some people accept community involvement and others
    >whine when people are FORCED to do things because
    >somebody really didn't want anyone to help them (they
    >aren't really FOSS supporters... just glory seekers).

    Correct: The people behind cdrkit are definitely no FOSS supporters
    and it is bad to see that companies like Novel/Suse follow them.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  15. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:15:53 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > If you still have problems with programs like K3b, remove the file
    > /bin/wodim and replace it by a symbolic link to /bin/cdrecord.
    > This may be needed in case that somebody did modify the k3b sources
    > to not search for cdrecord anymore.

    That could be awkward, in some distros cdrecord is a link to wodim:

    $ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2007-09-03 06:43 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim

    More to the point, in't there some way that the feud between you and the
    LKML, and the one between you and the FSF, could be resolved without anyone
    getting hurt?

    I met you once, years ago, and you seemed perfectly reasonable then, but
    in the mean time there have obviously been some issues that have gotten
    seriously under your skin. Even so, how much flexibility and goodwill
    on either side would it take to resolve them? Not much, AFAICSFH.

  16. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <47265453$0$90266$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    Mark Madsen wrote:
    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:15:53 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> If you still have problems with programs like K3b, remove the file
    >> /bin/wodim and replace it by a symbolic link to /bin/cdrecord.
    >> This may be needed in case that somebody did modify the k3b sources
    >> to not search for cdrecord anymore.

    >That could be awkward, in some distros cdrecord is a link to wodim:
    >
    >$ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord
    >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2007-09-03 06:43 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim

    This is why I did recommend to first replace this link with a real cdrecord
    binary...

    >More to the point, in't there some way that the feud between you and the
    >LKML, and the one between you and the FSF, could be resolved without anyone
    >getting hurt?

    I am not aware of such a feud.

    Some years ago, there was some kind of unwillingness on LKML to cooperate
    but this seems to have changed about a year ago. Meanwhile a long awaited bug
    fix for SCSI DMA size is in Linux and even the Linux kernel include files
    are being fixed the way I did propose years ago. It seems that I was too
    early with my proposals to get understood immediately.

    I know of no problem with the FSF.

    >I met you once, years ago, and you seemed perfectly reasonable then, but
    >in the mean time there have obviously been some issues that have gotten
    >seriously under your skin. Even so, how much flexibility and goodwill
    >on either side would it take to resolve them? Not much, AFAICSFH.

    It seems that some people who don't know me started to fight against me
    but this may be the result of being well known. I am sure that these people
    will disappear soon.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  17. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >In article <13i5jj08a8kn1b2@corp.supernews.com>,
    >Jim Jones <"okieman7 At cableone dot net"> wrote:
    >>My Dvd burner worked great with Suse 10.0, but when I completely blew
    >>the machine away and did a fresh install with OpenSuse 10.3 all at once
    >>it'll read but not burn. Are there any know bugs that cause K3b to not
    >>burn DVD's in 10.3?

    Not that I've seen. Try checking the permissions of the writer. It could
    be they aren't set to allow writing. Check to see if you're a member of
    the correct group. On my 10.3 installation, I added my user to group
    disk, my dvd device is owned by root.disk with permissions 660, and I
    have no problems[0] writing to it using k3b, wodim, or growisofs.

    >Suse now comes with wodim instead of cdrecord.

    The switch occurred between 10.1 and 10.2.

    >While cdrecord supports to write DVDs, wodim does not really.....

    Strange. I've not had a problem writing the DVDs with wodim. Then again,
    I still use cdrecord on 10.1, and I haven't had a problem with that
    either.

    [0] apart from the fact that the system is too slow to write at anything
    faster that 4x without suffering from many buffer underruns.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  18. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article <13iamm2qv8ettc3@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>> More on the issue here...
    >>>
    >>> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html
    >>>
    >>> JohnK

    >> Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true
    >> and somethings are blatantly false. Somebody has
    >> an axe to grind and spends a lot of time grinding it.
    >> Somebody believes the GPL is inherently evil in all
    >> "forms". Somebody wants to profit from their work (which
    >> isn't wrong... just need to understand the motives).

    > It is bad to see that a few people at Debian try to attack
    > a free software project in order to get personal profit.
    > I believe that this is not OK.
    >
    >> Some people accept community involvement and others
    >> whine when people are FORCED to do things because
    >> somebody really didn't want anyone to help them (they
    >> aren't really FOSS supporters... just glory seekers).

    > Correct: The people behind cdrkit are definitely no FOSS supporters
    > and it is bad to see that companies like Novel/Suse follow them.

    i slowed the DVD down to 4x as was suggested in another group and it
    started burning just fine. I may have done that before and just don't
    recall as I normally use it about once every 9 months or so when the new
    OpenSuse GM dvd is ready. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    Jim

  19. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <13id0hv41475id7@corp.supernews.com>,
    Jim Jones <"okieman7 At cableone dot net"> wrote:

    >> Correct: The people behind cdrkit are definitely no FOSS supporters
    >> and it is bad to see that companies like Novel/Suse follow them.
    >>

    >i slowed the DVD down to 4x as was suggested in another group and it
    >started burning just fine. I may have done that before and just don't
    >recall as I normally use it about once every 9 months or so when the new
    >OpenSuse GM dvd is ready. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    What do you get with cdrecord -atip with the medium you used?

    What do you get with cdrecord -prcap

    Note: I am talking about a real recent cdrecord here as "wodim" will not
    give you any useful with these options. It may be that you use bad media
    or that you turned DMA off.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  20. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    David Bolt wrote:

    >The switch occurred between 10.1 and 10.2.
    >
    >>While cdrecord supports to write DVDs, wodim does not really.....

    >Strange. I've not had a problem writing the DVDs with wodim. Then again,
    >I still use cdrecord on 10.1, and I haven't had a problem with that
    >either.

    If you only tro to do one of the few supported things from wodim it may
    work, but note that the fact that wodim does not support the -atip option
    with DVDs verifies that wodim uses guessed parameters instead of parameters
    retrieved from your medium. Cdrecord correctly parameterises the values
    since March 1998. Wodim ripped off working DVD support and replaced it by
    simple and half baken code.

    >[0] apart from the fact that the system is too slow to write at anything
    >faster that 4x without suffering from many buffer underruns.

    As you do not give any information on your problem, nobody can help you
    with this problem.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast