K3b and OpenSuse 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on K3b and OpenSuse 10.3 - Suse ; On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:44:51 +0000, Mark Madsen wrote: > > That could be awkward, in some distros cdrecord is a link to wodim: If you use K3B then it can specify the order of the search path so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:44:51 +0000, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > That could be awkward, in some distros cdrecord is a link to wodim:

    If you use K3B then it can specify the order of the search path so that
    it can use cdrecord in the default /opt/schily install directory instead
    of the link /usr/bin/cdrecord to wodim.

    Just sayin'

    JohnK

  2. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:00:02 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    >> JohnK

    > Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true and somethings

    This is all I can really find on the other point of view (other than a
    lot of hoohah) ..

    http://debburn.alioth.debian.org/FORK

    JohnK

  3. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    JohnK wrote:
    >On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:00:02 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>> JohnK

    >> Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true and somethings

    >This is all I can really find on the other point of view (other than a
    >lot of hoohah) ..
    >
    >http://debburn.alioth.debian.org/FORK

    Remember: Don't believe everything you read.

    What you read in this file is not true and it is full of FUD.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  4. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >In article <13id0hv41475id7@corp.supernews.com>,
    >Jim Jones <"okieman7 At cableone dot net"> wrote:
    >
    >>> Correct: The people behind cdrkit are definitely no FOSS supporters

    Hmm, the code is released under the GPL but they're not FOSS supporters.

    >>> and it is bad to see that companies like Novel/Suse follow them.
    >>>

    >>i slowed the DVD down to 4x as was suggested in another group and it
    >>started burning just fine. I may have done that before and just don't
    >>recall as I normally use it about once every 9 months or so when the new
    >>OpenSuse GM dvd is ready. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    >What do you get with cdrecord -atip with the medium you used?

    On mine I get:

    davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    >What do you get with cdrecord -prcap

    And:

    davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -prcap
    wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

    Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

    Does read CD-R media
    Does write CD-R media
    Does read CD-RW media
    Does write CD-RW media
    Does read DVD-ROM media
    Does read DVD-R media
    Does write DVD-R media
    Does read DVD-RAM media
    Does not write DVD-RAM media
    Does support test writing

    Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
    Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
    Does read digital audio blocks
    Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
    Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
    Does read multi-session CDs
    Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
    Does read CD bar code
    Does not read R-W subcode information
    Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
    Does return CD media catalog number
    Does return CD ISRC information
    Does support C2 error pointers
    Does deliver composite A/V data

    Does play audio CDs
    Number of volume control levels: 256
    Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
    Does support independent mute setting for each channel
    Does not support digital output on port 1
    Does not support digital output on port 2

    Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
    Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
    Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
    Is not currently in a media-locked state
    Does not support changing side of disk
    Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
    Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

    Maximum read speed: 11080 kB/s (CD 62x, DVD 8x)
    Current read speed: 11080 kB/s (CD 62x, DVD 8x)
    Maximum write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD 62x, DVD 8x)
    Current write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD 62x, DVD 8x)
    Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
    Buffer size in KB: 2048
    Copy management revision supported: 1
    Number of supported write speeds: 4
    Write speed # 0: 11080 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 62x, DVD 8x)
    Write speed # 1: 8310 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 47x, DVD 6x)
    Write speed # 2: 5540 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 31x, DVD 4x)
    Write speed # 3: 3324 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 18x, DVD 2x)

    Supported CD-RW media types according to MMC-4 feature 0x37:
    Does write multi speed CD-RW media
    Does write high speed CD-RW media
    Does write ultra high speed CD-RW media
    Does write ultra high speed+ CD-RW media
    davjam@lion:~>

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  5. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >If you only tro to do one of the few supported things from wodim it may
    >work,

    Does work. It's not yet failed with me and my systems. That doesn't mean
    that it'll work on other peoples systems, but it does work for me.

    >but note that the fact that wodim does not support the -atip option
    >with DVDs

    As posted in another reply:

    davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    As to whether this is useful or not, so far wodim hasn't had a problem
    writing to DVDs on my systems.

    >verifies that wodim uses guessed parameters instead of parameters
    >retrieved from your medium. Cdrecord correctly parameterises the values
    >since March 1998. Wodim ripped off working DVD support and replaced it by
    >simple and half baken code.

    For half-baked code, it sure seems to do the job. And even if it didn't,
    I don't need to use either wodim or cdrecord as growisofs is quite
    capable of writing DVDs.

    >>[0] apart from the fact that the system is too slow to write at anything
    >>faster that 4x without suffering from many buffer underruns.

    >As you do not give any information on your problem, nobody can help you
    >with this problem.

    I stated that the system I used is too slow to use at anything higher
    than a 4x write speed, and if there is a problem it is purely down to
    that. I didn't say that I had a problem with this, as I don't. However,
    to fill you in on why the system is too slow to handle more that a 4x
    write speed, here's the hardware details:

    The system in question is a 1998 G3 iMac running at a whopping 333Mz.
    The CD ROM drive has been replaced with a DVD writer and the original
    6GB hard drive has been replaced by a 160GB drive.

    With this system, the limiting factor is the IDE bus which tops out at
    around 6.7MB/s. Since there is no possibility of speeding it up, there
    is no solution to this other than to limit the write speed.

    Using growisofs, since it's kind enough to be quite verbose while
    writing to disc, here's the output writing the 10.3-PPC-DVD.iso to an 8x
    capable blank disc:

    davjam@lion:~> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw=/mnt/hda13/openSUSE-10.3-GM-DVD-i386.iso
    Executing 'builtin_dd if=/mnt/hda13/openSUSE-10.3-GM-DVD-i386.iso of=/dev/dvdrw obs=32k seek=0'
    /dev/dvdrw: "Current Write Speed" is 8.2x1352KBps.
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 280:00 RBU 100.0% UBU 2.1%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 420:01 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 606:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 746:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 886:43 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 1073:23 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1572864/4405843968 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 1213:24 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    3702784/4405843968 ( 0.1%) @0.5x, remaining 574:37 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    14811136/4405843968 ( 0.3%) @2.4x, remaining 163:03 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    25919488/4405843968 ( 0.6%) @2.4x, remaining 101:23 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    37060608/4405843968 ( 0.8%) @2.4x, remaining 76:37 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    48168960/4405843968 ( 1.1%) @2.4x, remaining 64:50 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    59310080/4405843968 ( 1.3%) @2.4x, remaining 56:11 RBU 98.4% UBU 100.0%
    70418432/4405843968 ( 1.6%) @2.4x, remaining 50:16 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    81526784/4405843968 ( 1.9%) @2.4x, remaining 46:51 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    92667904/4405843968 ( 2.1%) @2.4x, remaining 43:26 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    103776256/4405843968 ( 2.4%) @2.4x, remaining 40:45 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    114917376/4405843968 ( 2.6%) @2.4x, remaining 39:12 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    126025728/4405843968 ( 2.9%) @2.4x, remaining 37:21 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    137166848/4405843968 ( 3.1%) @2.4x, remaining 35:47 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    148275200/4405843968 ( 3.4%) @2.4x, remaining 34:56 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    159383552/4405843968 ( 3.6%) @2.4x, remaining 33:44 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    170524672/4405843968 ( 3.9%) @2.4x, remaining 32:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    181665792/4405843968 ( 4.1%) @2.4x, remaining 32:09 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    192774144/4405843968 ( 4.4%) @2.4x, remaining 31:19 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    203882496/4405843968 ( 4.6%) @2.4x, remaining 30:34 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    215023616/4405843968 ( 4.9%) @2.4x, remaining 30:12 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    226131968/4405843968 ( 5.1%) @2.4x, remaining 29:34 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    237273088/4405843968 ( 5.4%) @2.4x, remaining 28:59 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    248381440/4405843968 ( 5.6%) @2.4x, remaining 28:44 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    259522560/4405843968 ( 5.9%) @2.4x, remaining 28:13 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    270008320/4405843968 ( 6.1%) @2.3x, remaining 28:04 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    271056896/4405843968 ( 6.2%) @0.2x, remaining 28:43 RBU 98.4% UBU 100.0%
    279347200/4405843968 ( 6.3%) @1.8x, remaining 28:33 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    297861120/4405843968 ( 6.8%) @4.0x, remaining 27:34 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    316407808/4405843968 ( 7.2%) @4.0x, remaining 26:29 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    334921728/4405843968 ( 7.6%) @4.0x, remaining 25:31 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    353435648/4405843968 ( 8.0%) @4.0x, remaining 24:50 RBU 98.4% UBU 97.9%
    371949568/4405843968 ( 8.4%) @4.0x, remaining 24:02 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1705967616/4405843968 (38.7%) @4.0x, remaining 9:50 RBU 98.4% UBU 97.9%
    1724481536/4405843968 (39.1%) @4.0x, remaining 9:44 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1743028224/4405843968 (39.6%) @4.0x, remaining 9:40 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1746403328/4405843968 (39.6%) @0.7x, remaining 9:43 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
    1755152384/4405843968 (39.8%) @1.9x, remaining 9:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 33.3%
    1775468544/4405843968 (40.3%) @4.4x, remaining 9:37 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    1797586944/4405843968 (40.8%) @4.8x, remaining 9:30 RBU 100.0% UBU 14.6%
    1817640960/4405843968 (41.3%) @4.3x, remaining 9:23 RBU 100.0% UBU 25.0%
    1839759360/4405843968 (41.8%) @4.8x, remaining 9:17 RBU 100.0% UBU 22.9%
    1859354624/4405843968 (42.2%) @4.2x, remaining 9:11 RBU 100.0% UBU 20.8%
    1879638016/4405843968 (42.7%) @4.4x, remaining 9:05 RBU 98.4% UBU 20.8%
    1901461504/4405843968 (43.2%) @4.7x, remaining 9:00 RBU 100.0% UBU 12.5%
    1921974272/4405843968 (43.6%) @4.4x, remaining 8:53 RBU 100.0% UBU 4.2%
    1943470080/4405843968 (44.1%) @4.7x, remaining 8:47 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    1964277760/4405843968 (44.6%) @4.5x, remaining 8:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 8.3%
    1984757760/4405843968 (45.0%) @4.4x, remaining 8:35 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    2006745088/4405843968 (45.5%) @4.8x, remaining 8:29 RBU 100.0% UBU 8.3%
    2022932480/4405843968 (45.9%) @3.5x, remaining 8:26 RBU 100.0% UBU 25.0%
    2044067840/4405843968 (46.4%) @4.6x, remaining 8:20 RBU 100.0% UBU 10.4%
    2065235968/4405843968 (46.9%) @4.6x, remaining 8:14 RBU 100.0% UBU 14.6%
    2085683200/4405843968 (47.3%) @4.4x, remaining 8:09 RBU 100.0% UBU 12.5%
    2107506688/4405843968 (47.8%) @4.7x, remaining 8:03 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    2128019456/4405843968 (48.3%) @4.4x, remaining 7:57 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    2148073472/4405843968 (48.8%) @4.3x, remaining 7:52 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    4230807552/4405843968 (96.0%) @4.5x, remaining 0:33 RBU 98.4% UBU 14.6%
    4250107904/4405843968 (96.5%) @4.2x, remaining 0:29 RBU 100.0% UBU 14.6%
    4271144960/4405843968 (96.9%) @4.6x, remaining 0:25 RBU 100.0% UBU 8.3%
    4290478080/4405843968 (97.4%) @4.2x, remaining 0:21 RBU 100.0% UBU 14.6%
    4311449600/4405843968 (97.9%) @4.5x, remaining 0:17 RBU 100.0% UBU 8.3%
    4330749952/4405843968 (98.3%) @4.2x, remaining 0:14 RBU 98.4% UBU 8.3%
    4350836736/4405843968 (98.8%) @4.4x, remaining 0:10 RBU 0.0% UBU 20.8%
    4368171008/4405843968 (99.1%) @3.8x, remaining 0:07 RBU 100.0% UBU 6.2%
    4388913152/4405843968 (99.6%) @4.5x, remaining 0:03 RBU 100.0% UBU 4.2%
    builtin_dd: 2151296*2KB out @ average 3.8x1352KBps
    /dev/dvdrw: flushing cache
    /dev/dvdrw: closing track
    /dev/dvdrw: closing disc

    As you can see, the IDE bus can't keep up with the drive write speed and
    so, without scrapping that system, limiting the write speed is the only
    workable option. And all that means is that I have to wait another 7 or
    8 minutes for the disc to complete writing. Not exactly a long time, and
    I can always find something to do during that time.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  6. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 08:11 -0500, JohnK wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:00:02 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    > >> JohnK

    > > Don't believe everything you read. Somethings are true and somethings

    > This is all I can really find on the other point of view (other than a
    > lot of hoohah) ..
    >
    > http://debburn.alioth.debian.org/FORK
    >
    > JohnK

    There's a LOT of history that isn't present in either "faq" (things
    erased from history due to embarrassment I suppose).

    Joerg is correct in that his packages are well maintained.

    Some of us, of course, had to pay for the privilege... some of
    us remember historical things that have been sanitized from the
    "faq". :-) Some of us helped fund the hammer that kept slamming
    us on the head... live an learn. But with that said, it's a
    free country (well... my country is anyway) and I do believe
    that people can change and no... I don't expect them to apologize
    for past behaviors or their inconsistent viewpoints.... the important
    thing is where they are right now.

    Right now, cdrtools is free (Joerg's hatred of Linux aside). And you
    do have a choice.

  7. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <8ix9zQxE04JHFwqb@dev.null.davjam.org>,
    David Bolt wrote:
    >On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-
    >
    >>If you only tro to do one of the few supported things from wodim it may
    >>work,

    >Does work. It's not yet failed with me and my systems. That doesn't mean
    >that it'll work on other peoples systems, but it does work for me.
    >
    >>but note that the fact that wodim does not support the -atip option
    >>with DVDs

    >As posted in another reply:
    >
    >davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    >Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    >Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    >Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    >Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    >Version : 0
    >Response Format: 2
    >Capabilities :
    >Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    >Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    >Revision : '1.02'
    >Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    >Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    >Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    >HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    This is NOT cdrecord, this is a defective fork that does not support DVDs.

    Why don't you read that I wrote?

    I asked for the output from the official program.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  8. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    David Bolt wrote:
    >On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >Hmm, the code is released under the GPL but they're not FOSS supporters.

    People who attack free software cannot be FOSS supporters.
    The few people from Debian that created the "fork" started to attack the
    free cdrtools project about 3 years ago. As a reesult of the FUD they did
    spread on the GPL, the license for cdrtools has been changed to a license
    that gives more freedom

    >>>i slowed the DVD down to 4x as was suggested in another group and it
    >>>started burning just fine. I may have done that before and just don't
    >>>recall as I normally use it about once every 9 months or so when the new
    >>>OpenSuse GM dvd is ready. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    >>What do you get with cdrecord -atip with the medium you used?

    >On mine I get:
    >
    >davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    >Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    >Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    >Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    >Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    >Version : 0
    >Response Format: 2
    >Capabilities :
    >Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    >Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    >Revision : '1.02'
    >Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    >Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    >Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    >HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    This is NOT cdrecord but the defective fork that does not support DVDs

    For this reason, I _explicitly_ asked you for the output from the the official
    cdrecord. Are you interested in help? Then you should listen to me....

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  9. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <1193787104.16456.171.camel@behemoth.csg.stercomm.c om>,
    Chris Cox wrote:

    >There's a LOT of history that isn't present in either "faq" (things
    >erased from history due to embarrassment I suppose).

    The people around mr. Bloch try to avoid talking about the fact that
    they initiated the problem by attacking a free software project.

    >Joerg is correct in that his packages are well maintained.
    >
    >Some of us, of course, had to pay for the privilege... some of

    Do you like to spread FUD?

    >us remember historical things that have been sanitized from the
    >"faq". :-) Some of us helped fund the hammer that kept slamming
    >us on the head... live an learn. But with that said, it's a
    >free country (well... my country is anyway) and I do believe
    >that people can change and no... I don't expect them to apologize
    >for past behaviors or their inconsistent viewpoints.... the important
    >thing is where they are right now.

    It is funny to see that the Linux kernel people now understand that
    their view from the past was inconsistent....

    >Right now, cdrtools is free (Joerg's hatred of Linux aside). And you
    >do have a choice.

    Cdrtools is free _and_ was _always_ free and I have no hate against Linux.
    I am a supporter of FOSS since more than 20 years, don't try to confuse me
    with people who recently started FOSS and still need to learn the background.

    http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdr-faq.html
    http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/priva...ource-why.html
    http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html

    There definitely was hate from Linus Torvalds against me - I don't know why...
    And there is hate from Mr. Bloch that created the fork. Now the fork is dead
    since 6 months. Can hate create free software? I believe no!

    Free Linux distributions realized that forcing users to a defective fork
    is not freedom and give their user the choice to use the maintained and free
    original software. Ubuntu did get rif of all bugs in their database after
    providing cdrtols again.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  10. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >In article <8ix9zQxE04JHFwqb@dev.null.davjam.org>,
    >David Bolt wrote:
    >>On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >>>but note that the fact that wodim does not support the -atip option
    >>>with DVDs

    I've left that in there.

    >>davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    >>Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    >>Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    >>Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    >>Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    >>Version : 0
    >>Response Format: 2
    >>Capabilities :
    >>Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    >>Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    >>Revision : '1.02'
    >>Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    >>Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    >>Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    >>HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    And the output from wodim using the -atip option.

    >This is NOT cdrecord, this is a defective fork that does not support DVDs.

    Yes, it's from wodim.

    >Why don't you read that I wrote?

    I did. And that's why I posted the output.

    >I asked for the output from the official program.

    You said that wodim didn't support the -atip option. That appears not to
    be that case, as wodim didn't return an error saying the option was
    unsupported. It also didn't supply the same media information as
    cdrtools, as shown here:

    davjam@lion:~> sudo /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/cdrtools-2.01.01/cdrecord/OBJ/ppc-linux-cc/cdrecord -atip
    root's password:
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a36 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2007 Jörg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
    No target specified, trying to find one...
    Using dev=1001,0,0.
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    Identifikation : 'UJ-840D '
    Revision : '1.02'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+R driver (mmc_dvdplusr).
    Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    book type: DVD+R, Version (10.1)
    disc size: 120mm (0)
    maximum rate: Not specified (15)
    number of layers:1
    track path: Parallel Track Path (0)
    layer type: Rewritable Area (2)
    linear density: 0.267 μm/bit (0)
    track density: 0.74 μm/track (0)
    phys start: 196608 (0x30000)
    phys end: 2491711
    end layer 0: 0
    bca: 0
    phys size:... 2295104
    Manufacturer: 'YUDEN000'
    Media type: 'T02'
    Category/Version A1
    Disk size 0F
    Disk structure 02
    Recoding density 00
    Manufacturer: 'YUDEN000'
    Media type: 'T02'
    Product revision 0
    ADIP numbytes 56
    Reference speed 35
    Max speed 84
    copyr prot type: 0
    region mgt info: 0
    rzone size: 40
    rzone number: 1
    border number: 1
    ljrs: 0
    track mode: 7 copy: 0
    damage: 0
    reserved track: 0 blank: 1 incremental: 0 fp: 0
    data mode: 1
    lra valid: 0
    nwa valid: 1
    rzone start: 0
    next wr addr: 0
    free blocks: 2295104
    blocking factor: 16
    rzone size: 2295104
    last recorded addr: 0
    read compat lba: 265696

    Capacity Blklen/Sparesz. Format-type Type
    4169920 2048 0x00 No Media Present or Unknown Capacity

    And, as suggested by the wodim output, here's the output from
    dvd+rw-mediainfo:

    davjam@lion:~> dvd+rw-mediainfo
    usage: dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
    davjam@lion:~> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
    INQUIRY: [MAT****A][UJ-840D ][1.02]
    GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
    Mounted Media: 1Bh, DVD+R
    Media ID: YUDEN000/T02
    Current Write Speed: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
    Write Speed #0: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
    Write Speed #1: 6.0x1385=8310KB/s
    Write Speed #2: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
    Write Speed #3: 2.4x1385=3324KB/s
    Speed Descriptor#0: 01/2295103 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@8.0x1385=11080KB/s
    Speed Descriptor#1: 01/2295103 R@6.0x1385=8310KB/s W@6.0x1385=8310KB/s
    Speed Descriptor#2: 01/2295103 R@4.0x1385=5540KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
    Speed Descriptor#3: 01/2295103 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
    READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
    Media Book Type: 00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
    Legacy lead-out at: 2295104*2KB=4700372992
    READ DISC INFORMATION:
    Disc status: blank
    Number of Sessions: 1
    State of Last Session: empty
    "Next" Track: 1
    Number of Tracks: 1
    READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
    Track State: blank
    Track Start Address: 0*2KB
    Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
    Free Blocks: 2295104*2KB
    Track Size: 2295104*2KB
    ROM Compatibility LBA: 265696
    READ CAPACITY: 0*2048=0

    While not the same, it does provide some output that is similar to that
    produced by cdrecord. It also provides some info that cdrecord doesn't
    supply, and doesn't provide some that cdrecord does.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  11. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >In article ,
    >David Bolt wrote:
    >>On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >>Hmm, the code is released under the GPL but they're not FOSS supporters.

    >People who attack free software cannot be FOSS supporters.
    >The few people from Debian that created the "fork" started to attack the
    >free cdrtools project about 3 years ago. As a reesult of the FUD they did
    >spread on the GPL, the license for cdrtools has been changed to a license
    >that gives more freedom

    And less. The present license for cdrtools is incompatible with the GPL,
    which means code from the present releases of cdrtools can't be used in
    GPL software. You should already know that, since that was the intention
    behind the writing of the CDDL as stated by Sun.

    >>>What do you get with cdrecord -atip with the medium you used?

    >>On mine I get:

    >This is NOT cdrecord but the defective fork that does not support DVDs

    For a defective fork, it certainly does the job here.

    >For this reason, I _explicitly_ asked you for the output from the the official
    >cdrecord. Are you interested in help?

    I think you've got me mistaken for:

    1, someone that actually needs some help with CD/DVD burning;
    2, someone that gives a crap about your apparent "feud" with the cdrkit
    maintainers;

    And before you say you don't have a "feud" with the cdrkit maintainers,
    it appears that every time you mention wodim/cdrkit, you point out how
    that software is broken and/or unmaintained. It wouldn't also surprise
    me if, at some other point in time, you claim it's illegal as it
    breaches the GPL and/or copyright law, as you previously did with SUSE's
    patched version of cdrtools.

    >Then you should listen to me....

    Maybe you should read what was written, including by yourself. You
    posted that wodim doesn't support the -atip option with DVDs. I showed
    it does. It doesn't provide the same details as cdrecord, but it does
    provide output. It also says which program to use to get the media info
    that cdrtools provides.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  12. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    David Bolt wrote:

    >>Then you should listen to me....

    >Maybe you should read what was written, including by yourself. You
    >posted that wodim doesn't support the -atip option with DVDs. I showed
    >it does. It doesn't provide the same details as cdrecord, but it does
    >provide output. It also says which program to use to get the media info
    >that cdrtools provides.

    What do you expect from writing such obvious lies?

    Your posting _did_ prove that wodim does _not_ support -atip for DVDs.
    Now you claim that it does? This is childish. Do you like help or do you like
    to start a fight?

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  13. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    David Bolt wrote:

    >>>davjam@lion:~> cdrecord -atip
    >>>Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
    >>>Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
    >>>Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
    >>>Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    >>>Version : 0
    >>>Response Format: 2
    >>>Capabilities :
    >>>Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    >>>Identification : 'UJ-840D '
    >>>Revision : '1.02'
    >>>Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >>>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
    >>>Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    >>>Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    >>>HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.

    >And the output from wodim using the -atip option.
    >
    >>This is NOT cdrecord, this is a defective fork that does not support DVDs.

    >Yes, it's from wodim.

    And this output verifies that wodim does _not_ support cdrecord -atip

    >You said that wodim didn't support the -atip option. That appears not to
    >be that case, as wodim didn't return an error saying the option was

    This is childish FUD.

    >And, as suggested by the wodim output, here's the output from
    >dvd+rw-mediainfo:

    >While not the same, it does provide some output that is similar to that
    >produced by cdrecord. It also provides some info that cdrecord doesn't
    >supply, and doesn't provide some that cdrecord does.

    What do you expect from spreadin this disinformation?

    Cdrecord of course gives this information!

    I did tell you to run:

    cdrecord -atip
    cdrecord -minfo
    cdrecord -prcap

    The fact that dvd+rw-mediainfo mixes a subset of the output from
    three different cdrecord commands into a simplified output does
    not verifiy that cdrecord is missing information. Wodim on the other
    side does not support DVDs and you proved that by sending the wodim
    output.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  14. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article ,
    David Bolt wrote:

    >Vendor_info : 'MAT****A'
    >Identifikation : 'UJ-840D '
    >Revision : '1.02'
    >Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
    >Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+R driver (mmc_dvdplusr).
    >Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    >Supported modes: PACKET SAO
    >book type: DVD+R, Version (10.1)
    >disc size: 120mm (0)
    >maximum rate: Not specified (15)
    >number of layers:1
    >track path: Parallel Track Path (0)
    >layer type: Rewritable Area (2)
    >linear density: 0.267 μm/bit (0)
    >track density: 0.74 μm/track (0)
    >phys start: 196608 (0x30000)
    >phys end: 2491711
    >end layer 0: 0
    >bca: 0
    >phys size:... 2295104
    >Manufacturer: 'YUDEN000'
    >Media type: 'T02'

    Despite the fact that you tried to use this discussion to spread FUD against
    cdrtools, let me comment this media info:

    wodim does have some extremely simple DVD-R support and broken DVD+R
    support.

    Tajo Yuden is known to be a high quality manufacturer. I asume that
    the real cdrecord works find with this medium unless your drive has problems.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  15. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >Your posting _did_ prove that wodim does _not_ support -atip for DVDs.

    It doesn't provide *the same support* for DVDs as cdrecord. That is not
    in dispute. Your claim was that wodim didn't support it is because it
    doesn't provide the same information as cdrecord. Just because it
    doesn't produce the same output doesn't mean it isn't supported.

    >Now you claim that it does? This is childish.

    I'll agree with this. It is decidedly childish and, at the very least, I
    should know better.

    >Do you like help or do you like
    >to start a fight?

    The OP posted that they couldn't burn DVDs using k3b on 10.3. I posted
    that I can, which means it's something specific to the OPs system, quite
    probably device permissions.

    And, this doesn't really have much to do cdrecord or wodim anyway. When
    burning DVDs, k3b uses growisofs.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  16. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >Despite the fact that you tried to use this discussion to spread FUD against
    >cdrtools, let me comment this media info:

    I didn't say a thing about cdrecord. I was commenting on how wodim does
    have support for DVDs. It may not be as complete as cdrecord but, as I
    mention in a reply I made a few minutes ago, k3b doesn't use cdrecord or
    wodim for writing DVDs. It uses growisofs, which in turn uses
    genisoimage, as can be seen here:

    20798 ? Sl 1:54 k3b
    20917 ? Rl 0:00 /usr/bin/X11/growisofs -Z /dev/hdc /dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luk
    e=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:524469 -speed=8 -use-the-fo
    rce-luke=bufsize:32m
    20919 ? S 0:01 /usr/bin/X11/genisoimage -gui -graft-points -volid test -volset
    -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2006 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -pr
    eparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-davjam/k3bMpe04a.tmp -r
    ational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-davjam/k3bs8qWSa.tmp -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-li
    st /tmp/kde-davjam/k3bLXf7qa.tmp -no-cache-inodes -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -pa
    th-list /tmp/kde-davjam/k3buIQrJb.tmp
    20920 ? Z 0:00 [genisoimage]
    20924 pts/0 R+ 0:00 ps ax
    20925 pts/0 R+ 0:00 -bash

    >wodim does have some extremely simple DVD-R support and broken DVD+R
    >support.

    FSVO broken that appears to be adequately capable of correctly writing
    to DVD+/-R(W).

    >Tajo Yuden is known to be a high quality manufacturer. I asume that
    >the real cdrecord works find with this medium unless your drive has problems.

    Both have no problem writing to this media.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  17. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article <1193787104.16456.171.camel@behemoth.csg.stercomm.c om>,
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> There's a LOT of history that isn't present in either "faq" (things
    >> erased from history due to embarrassment I suppose).

    > The people around mr. Bloch try to avoid talking about the fact that
    > they initiated the problem by attacking a free software project.
    >

    >> Joerg is correct in that his packages are well maintained.
    >>
    >> Some of us, of course, had to pay for the privilege... some of

    > Do you like to spread FUD?

    Ok...

    >> us remember historical things that have been sanitized from the
    >> "faq". :-) Some of us helped fund the hammer that kept slamming
    >> us on the head... live an learn. But with that said, it's a
    >> free country (well... my country is anyway) and I do believe
    >> that people can change and no... I don't expect them to apologize
    >> for past behaviors or their inconsistent viewpoints.... the important
    >> thing is where they are right now.

    > It is funny to see that the Linux kernel people now understand that
    > their view from the past was inconsistent....
    >
    >> Right now, cdrtools is free (Joerg's hatred of Linux aside). And you
    >> do have a choice.

    > Cdrtools is free _and_ was _always_ free and I have no hate against Linux.
    > I am a supporter of FOSS since more than 20 years, don't try to confuse me
    > with people who recently started FOSS and still need to learn the background.

    Ok...

    > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdr-faq.html
    > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/priva...ource-why.html

    What did you do with all of the $100 payments for the unrestricted (key)
    version of cdrecord-proDVD (available only as a binary)? Or is that
    FUD?? Sorry. Maybe I just don't remember things as clearly as
    you do.

    It was a long time ago (well.. in internet time)... no harm done.
    I apologize for spreading FUD. Wasn't my intention. Just want
    to make sure that the whole story is told.

    > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html
    >
    > There definitely was hate from Linus Torvalds against me - I don't know why...
    > And there is hate from Mr. Bloch that created the fork. Now the fork is dead
    > since 6 months. Can hate create free software? I believe no!

    I think a lot has to do with attitude. But who knows. You're obviously
    a very friendly guy. Sometimes the things we do and say, or the way
    we react to things determines how we are perceived.

    > Free Linux distributions realized that forcing users to a defective fork
    > is not freedom and give their user the choice to use the maintained and free
    > original software. Ubuntu did get rif of all bugs in their database after
    > providing cdrtols again.

    I don't think anything in Linux is "forced". We have Solaris for that.
    (sorry, had to say that one) :-)

  18. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <5HrsaerhSLKHFwA1@dev.null.davjam.org>,
    David Bolt wrote:
    >On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-
    >

    >>Your posting _did_ prove that wodim does _not_ support -atip for DVDs.

    >It doesn't provide *the same support* for DVDs as cdrecord. That is not
    >in dispute. Your claim was that wodim didn't support it is because it
    >doesn't provide the same information as cdrecord. Just because it
    >doesn't produce the same output doesn't mean it isn't supported.

    A really strange claim from you!

    wodim does not output anything related to the information on the
    medium when calling wodim with -atip and you still try to tell us
    it supprts DVDs?

    As I mentioned more than once: the information cdrecord shows with -atip
    is needed to write DVDs correctly. A program that does not support
    to retrieve the related information cannot correctly support DVDs.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  19. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:-

    >In article <5HrsaerhSLKHFwA1@dev.null.davjam.org>,
    >David Bolt wrote:

    >>It doesn't provide *the same support* for DVDs as cdrecord. That is not
    >>in dispute. Your claim was that wodim didn't support it is because it
    >>doesn't provide the same information as cdrecord. Just because it
    >>doesn't produce the same output doesn't mean it isn't supported.

    >A really strange claim from you!

    If it didn't support writing to DVDs, I wouldn't be able to write to a
    DVD using wodim. Since I can write to DVD using wodim, and I use almost
    exclusively DVD+Rs, there must be DVD support in wodim.

    >wodim does not output anything related to the information on the
    >medium when calling wodim with -atip and you still try to tell us
    >it supprts DVDs?

    As mentioned above, wodim has write support for DVDs, which you claim it
    doesn't have.

    >As I mentioned more than once: the information cdrecord shows with -atip
    >is needed to write DVDs correctly. A program that does not support
    >to retrieve the related information cannot correctly support DVDs.

    It has enough support to correctly write DVDs. Over the past several
    days I've written enough DVD using both wodim and cdrecord to know that,
    as far as I'm concerned, and the successfully written discs, there
    doesn't appear to be any difference.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  20. Re: K3b and OpenSuse 10.3

    In article <1193933737.8972.21.camel@behemoth.csg.stercomm.com>,
    Chris Cox wrote:

    >> It is interesting to see that you claim wrong things that
    >> people who _read_
    >>
    >> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/priva...ource-why.html
    >>
    >> would immediately identify as being wrong. A NDA prevented me from
    >> publishing the source but the code has been freely available to you.
    >> Please do not try again to spread FUD.

    >But back then, you NEVER (afaik) said a word about why you pulled
    >the source back and made it non-free. You just did it.
    >You don't have to give the reasons why... but if you had back
    >then, I think people wouldn't have been so upset and all of
    >the desires to fork would have never occurred (perhaps?).
    >
    >Again... I'm really NOT trying to spread FUD. Do feel free
    >to correct any of this.

    Why then _do_ you spread FUD?

    I did never pull back the source!

    I did never make cdrecord non-free.

    >> I would asume the personal offenses that Linus Toravalds send against me is
    >> more than just "atittude"...
    >>

    >Linux does have an attitude... that's for sure! Didn't know he was
    >trying hurl personal attacks against you. That's bad form. BUT,
    >you know, Linux and Linus are somewhat joined at the hip, and you
    >have been known to say some nasty things (and you still do afaik)
    >about Linux. He probably took some of those things too personally.
    >Just a guess. Not trying to excuse anything bad that Linus may
    >have said to you...

    ???

    It is bad to see that people on LKML who are publically known attack
    other people. It is even worse if this is done by Mr. Torvalds.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast