what is UML and XEN in Suse - Suse

This is a discussion on what is UML and XEN in Suse - Suse ; I looked this link http://www.novell.com/products/linux...ll-initrd.html which says "You can create an initrd for installation. Useful, for example, to set up a UML or XEN environment." what is UML and XEN environment ?what they do actually does a normal user ever ...

  1. what is UML and XEN in Suse

    I looked this link
    http://www.novell.com/products/linux...ll-initrd.html

    which says
    "You can create an initrd for installation. Useful, for example, to
    set
    up a UML or XEN environment."

    what is UML and XEN environment ?what they do actually does a normal
    user ever needs it or uses it ?

  2. Re: what is UML and XEN in Suse

    Velocity wrote:

    > I looked this link
    > http://www.novell.com/products/linux...ll-initrd.html
    >
    > which says
    > "You can create an initrd for installation. Useful, for example, to
    > set
    > up a UML or XEN environment."
    >
    > what is UML and XEN environment ?what they do actually does a normal
    > user ever needs it or uses it ?

    That are virtual machines described in:
    http://en.opensuse.org/An_Introducti...Virtualization

    I'm using currently
    VirtualBox http://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox and
    QEMU http://en.opensuse.org/Qemu

    Attempt to use Xen produced a lot of computer activity preparing system, it
    doesn't work with nvidia accelerated drivers, and that is not good for
    occasional iso image test. Xen might be good for some server farm where one
    creates operating system image once in a while, but not to run live CD to
    see how it works or run installation CD before actual installation on
    hardware.

    I just looked at other articles on openSUSE wiki and some need update.
    They still talking about SUSE Linux.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.