New to Linux SUSE - Suse

This is a discussion on New to Linux SUSE - Suse ; I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would greatly appreciate some help on if you have time: 1.) What ...

  1. New to Linux SUSE

    I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage
    where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would greatly
    appreciate some help on if you have time:

    1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using Trend
    Micro in Windows
    2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss
    3.) Where are some freebie tutorials I can learn simple things such as how
    to set a network address on a PC, how to install the above programs etc.?

    Thank you in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I see why
    everyone has gone to this plateform. Reminds me of the late 70's in the
    Apple ][ days.

  2. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:20:42 +0000, none@nowhere.com wrote:

    > I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage
    > where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would
    > greatly appreciate some help on if you have time:
    >
    > 1.) What is the best Anti-virus / Security suite? I have been using
    > Trend Micro in Windows
    > 2.) What is a good Newsgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss 3.)
    > Where are some freebie tutorials I can learn simple things such as how
    > to set a network address on a PC, how to install the above programs
    > etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I see why
    > everyone has gone to this plateform. Reminds me of the late 70's in the
    > Apple ][ days.

    Ad.1 You don't must use any Anti-virus software on Linux. Read something
    on the Internet about this. Of course if you don't like send any viruses
    (windows) by post software install AVG on your Linux system. That same if
    you download a lot soft from p2p, etc.. But Linux i FREE AT VIRUSES.

    Ad.2 The best is Pan (news reader), probably you ask about downloads
    binaries group. Use the Pan (have got NZB).

    BE FREE !!!

    Ps. I was 17 years very loyalty mac users at sys. 6 to 8.6 and s...
    system 10.xxx (code name X). Linux was give me free, example:

    Photoshop - Gimp
    Illustrator - Inkscape
    Quark - Scribus

  3. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:20:42 +0000, none@nowhere.com wrote:

    > I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage
    > where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would
    > greatly appreciate some help on if you have time:
    >
    > 1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using
    > Trend Micro in Windows
    > 2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss 3.)
    > Where are some freebie tutorials I can learn simple things such as how
    > to set a network address on a PC, how to install the above programs
    > etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I see why
    > everyone has gone to this plateform. Reminds me of the late 70's in the
    > Apple ][ days.

    Welcome to REAL computing!

    Search "beginner linux" online for scads of tutorials to get you started.

    1. Yast>SoftwareManagement>search "virus" for free scanners. Though not
    really necessary now (no malware for me in 5 years of SUSE, or ever in
    linux) it makes some people more comfortable. Linux firewall is installed
    by default. You can configure it through Yast.

    2. Pan is an excellent program, knode is tolerable, also see below and
    find klibido if you use nzbs a lot.

    Search "hacking suse 10.x" for hints in adding extra software
    repositories.

    I use Opera browser (Yast, again) as I like its built-in torrent feature.

    Good luck, and have fun.

    --
    Elvish

  4. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    none@nowhere.com wrote:
    > I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage
    > where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would greatly
    > appreciate some help on if you have time:
    >
    > 1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using Trend
    > Micro in Windows

    Not needed.

    > 2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss

    I also was a former Outlook express user for newsgroups. I tried and
    Pan and Knode and didn't really care for either. I currently use
    Thunderbird. It's the most "Outlook-like" of the ones I've tried so far.

    hth,

    Pat

  5. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:03:02 -0400
    Pat wrote:

    Hi
    Welcome

    > none@nowhere.com wrote:
    > > I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward
    > > stage where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I
    > > would greatly appreciate some help on if you have time:
    > >
    > > 1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using
    > > Trend Micro in Windows

    > Not needed.

    I use clamav and spamassasin integrated into claws-mail

    Clamav is also handy for plugging in windows drive via usb and killing
    off viruses....

    > > 2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss

    > I also was a former Outlook express user for newsgroups. I tried and
    > Pan and Knode and didn't really care for either. I currently use
    > Thunderbird. It's the most "Outlook-like" of the ones I've tried so
    > far.

    claws-mail

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 17:45, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.22, 0.09

  6. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    none@nowhere.com wrote:

    > 1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using Trend
    > Micro in Windows

    SUSE has build in security like the firewall and apparmor. By default
    you are very secure. Also, you are less vulnerable for attacks since
    almost all are targeted specifically at windows systems. If you like
    extra protection there are several freeware applications like anti-virus
    tools.

    > 2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss

    I like to use Seamonkey since it has a good combination of
    email/newsgroup client and webbrowser.

    > 3.) Where are some freebie tutorials I can learn simple things such as how
    > to set a network address on a PC, how to install the above programs etc.?

    For suse a good place to start is www.opensuse.org. There are lots of
    tutorials there on how to use suse. Also, there are manuals on the suse
    distribution. Search in the yast tool at software installation for
    suselinux-manual.
    To configure suse, almost everything you need for running suse as a new
    user is in yast. I think the main problem will be finding out where you
    can configure it.

    S.

  7. Re: New to Linux SUSE

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:20:42 +0000, none@nowhere.com posted...

    > I am new to Linux but not new to computers. I am at that awkward stage
    > where I cannot figure out the basics. Here are some things I would
    > greatly appreciate some help on if you have time:
    >
    > 1.) What is the best Antivirus / Security suite? I have been using
    > Trend Micro in Windows
    > 2.) What is a good Newgroup program. I am using Outlook expresss 3.)
    > Where are some freebie tutorials I can learn simple things such as how
    > to set a network address on a PC, how to install the above programs
    > etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I see why
    > everyone has gone to this plateform. Reminds me of the late 70's in the
    > Apple ][ days.

    Give Avast a spin. I ran a contest on some old NTFS storage drives between Clam and Avast and Clam
    missed 3 old worm/trojan/etc files that Avast promptly quarantined.
    Hard to go back to Clam after that.
    I use Avast on my XP machine as well, plus the Linux interface and speed is nice.

+ Reply to Thread