Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible? - Suse

This is a discussion on Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible? - Suse ; Hi, I'm trying to troubleshoot a (suspected) hardware problem on an old Dell Dimension 8100 machine I have which is a WinXP client. I put a SATA card in the machine, and a SATA DVD multi-burner. The new DVD drive ...

  1. Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    Hi,
    I'm trying to troubleshoot a (suspected) hardware problem on an old
    Dell Dimension 8100 machine I have which is a WinXP client. I put a
    SATA card in the machine, and a SATA DVD multi-burner. The new DVD
    drive is not recognizing DVD media. I spent six hours yesterday doing
    all the WinXP troubleshooting I could possibly do. I'm starting to
    think the drive is defective, but wanted to try one more time before I
    RMA it.

    Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    watch a DVD?

    If that works, then I can rule out the drive as being the problem.

    I'm not sure what sort of native codex support (if any) the as-
    shipped 10.2 has in it, or even if it has a media (viewer)
    application...I run openSUSE as a web/file server on a headless system
    in my basement.

    I'm thinking that if the distro wouldn't do this out of the box,
    maybe I can put the required applications on a USB thumb drive, and
    get to them after booting from the CD?

    Any chance of this idea working?

    Thanks,
    Randy

  2. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    On Oct 25, 10:58 am, Randy Brick MacKenna
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to troubleshoot a (suspected) hardware problem on an old
    > Dell Dimension 8100 machine I have which is a WinXP client. I put a
    > SATA card in the machine, and a SATA DVD multi-burner. The new DVD
    > drive is not recognizing DVD media. I spent six hours yesterday doing
    > all the WinXP troubleshooting I could possibly do. I'm starting to
    > think the drive is defective, but wanted to try one more time before I
    > RMA it.
    >
    > Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    > The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    > Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    > distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    > watch a DVD?
    >
    > If that works, then I can rule out the drive as being the problem.
    >
    > I'm not sure what sort of native codex support (if any) the as-
    > shipped 10.2 has in it, or even if it has a media (viewer)
    > application...I run openSUSE as a web/file server on a headless system
    > in my basement.
    >
    > I'm thinking that if the distro wouldn't do this out of the box,
    > maybe I can put the required applications on a USB thumb drive, and
    > get to them after booting from the CD?
    >
    > Any chance of this idea working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Randy

    Although I didn't try it with opensuse, I had to do something similar
    to this after my laptop hard drive died. While the new drive was in
    transit, I used the kubuntu cd and when I had to reboot, I just had to
    apt-get a few apps like firefox and I was able to work just fine. So
    I'd expect the opensuse live cd to work similarly. The only thing
    that might bite you is if there isn't enough room on the memory file
    system to install any extra packages you might need.

    --
    Andy

  3. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:58:12 -0700, Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    > The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    > Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    > distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    > watch a DVD?

    Not an openSUSE answer, but you need a small liveCD that will play DVDs
    out of the box.

    The quickest would be to try with Puppy, or (slightly less whacky)
    Grafpup. We're only talking 100 MB (or so) downloads here.

    And those of you who read Distrowatch Weekly will know why it pains me to
    give you this advice.

    Mark
    --
    Signature not found on /dev/dvd: no such device.

  4. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    On Oct 25, 12:05 pm, Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:58:12 -0700, Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > > Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    > > The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    > > Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    > > distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    > > watch a DVD?

    > Not an openSUSE answer, but you need a small liveCD that will play DVDs
    > out of the box.
    >
    > The quickest would be to try with Puppy, or (slightly less whacky)
    > Grafpup. We're only talking 100 MB (or so) downloads here.
    >
    > And those of you who read Distrowatch Weekly will know why it pains me to
    > give you this advice.
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    > Signature not found on /dev/dvd: no such device.

    I'd be down for trying anything that is simple and ready to go. Since
    I'm just trying to troubleshoot my hardware I don't want to spend a
    ton more time learning/configuring an operating system.

    So, if you say Grafpup will play a DVD out of the box, I'll give it a
    go. Any suggestion on which sub-distro to use (I saw "Dillo",
    "Opera", "Seamonkey") -- should I just pick the one with the largest
    filesize? ;-)

    If this discussion trends further down a non-openSUSE thread I'll move
    over to a more appropriate forum.

    Thanks!
    -Randy

  5. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:49:03 -0700, Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > I'd be down for trying anything that is simple and ready to go. Since
    > I'm just trying to troubleshoot my hardware I don't want to spend a
    > ton more time learning/configuring an operating system.

    They are liveCDs, just boot, and everything should work.

    The idea is that, being small, they can run entirely in RAM, so once you
    have booted the liveCD you can remove it from the drive and play a DVD.

    > So, if you say Grafpup will play a DVD out of the box, I'll give it a
    > go.

    It certainly used to, but I really can't say anything about the later
    versions.

    > Any suggestion on which sub-distro to use (I saw "Dillo", "Opera",
    > "Seamonkey") -- should I just pick the one with the largest filesize? ;-)

    The names are a function of which is the default web browser. For your
    testing purposes, do you even care? Although if you have to use the web
    for help, don't choose the dillo variant.

    > If this discussion trends further down a non-openSUSE thread I'll move
    > over to a more appropriate forum.

    Sorry to have taken it off Suse, but it really is a simpler suggestion if
    these liveCDs work on your hardware.

    I'm still not endorsing Puppy and its various offspring except as a
    potentially handy tool to solve a test problem.

    Best of luck,
    Mark
    --
    Signature may have been prepared in contact with nuts.

  6. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to troubleshoot a (suspected) hardware problem on an old
    > Dell Dimension 8100 machine I have which is a WinXP client. I put a
    > SATA card in the machine, and a SATA DVD multi-burner. The new DVD
    > drive is not recognizing DVD media. I spent six hours yesterday doing
    > all the WinXP troubleshooting I could possibly do. I'm starting to
    > think the drive is defective, but wanted to try one more time before I
    > RMA it.
    >
    > Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    > The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    > Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    > distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    > watch a DVD?
    >
    > If that works, then I can rule out the drive as being the problem.
    >
    > I'm not sure what sort of native codex support (if any) the as-
    > shipped 10.2 has in it, or even if it has a media (viewer)
    > application...I run openSUSE as a web/file server on a headless system
    > in my basement.
    >
    > I'm thinking that if the distro wouldn't do this out of the box,
    > maybe I can put the required applications on a USB thumb drive, and
    > get to them after booting from the CD?
    >
    > Any chance of this idea working?

    geexbox
    http://geexbox.org/en/index.html
    will boot and allow you to play a dvd.
    r,

  7. Re: Boot from CD - and then watch a DVD - possible?

    On Oct 26, 3:42 am, Richard Henwood wrote:
    > Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm trying to troubleshoot a (suspected) hardware problem on an old
    > > Dell Dimension 8100 machine I have which is a WinXP client. I put a
    > > SATA card in the machine, and a SATA DVD multi-burner. The new DVD
    > > drive is not recognizing DVD media. I spent six hours yesterday doing
    > > all the WinXP troubleshooting I could possibly do. I'm starting to
    > > think the drive is defective, but wanted to try one more time before I
    > > RMA it.

    > > Now to get to my openSUSE question. I have the 10.2 distro on CD.
    > > The Dell machine will not boot from USB, but it will boot from CD.
    > > Would it be possible for me to boot up and run openSUSE from the CD
    > > distro -- and get it to recognize the DVD drive -- and actually try to
    > > watch a DVD?

    > > If that works, then I can rule out the drive as being the problem.

    > > I'm not sure what sort of native codex support (if any) the as-
    > > shipped 10.2 has in it, or even if it has a media (viewer)
    > > application...I run openSUSE as a web/file server on a headless system
    > > in my basement.

    > > I'm thinking that if the distro wouldn't do this out of the box,
    > > maybe I can put the required applications on a USB thumb drive, and
    > > get to them after booting from the CD?

    > > Any chance of this idea working?

    > geexboxhttp://geexbox.org/en/index.html
    > will boot and allow you to play a dvd.