Can't mount /dev/hda2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Can't mount /dev/hda2 - Suse ; I can't mount /dev/hda2 after a crash and that seems to be my main native Linux partition. I'm screwed. I'm trying to use the YaST tools to repair the partition information but this doesn't seem to be working. I know ...

  1. Can't mount /dev/hda2

    I can't mount /dev/hda2 after a crash and that seems to be my
    main native Linux partition. I'm screwed. I'm trying to use the
    YaST tools to repair the partition information but this doesn't
    seem to be working. I know the starting point (2040) and ending
    point (238201) for the partition. I wonder if I can fix this
    manually in Rescue System. I'm absolutely a Linux newbie and I'm
    way out of my league. But I can work slowly and carefully to try
    to save the data on this partition.

    The YaST tool has been saying "Activating /dev/hda1 for swap" and
    "0%" for over an hour.

    Suggestions? Many thanks.

    Rich Hollenbeck

  2. Re: Can't mount /dev/hda2

    Richard Hollenbeck wrote:

    > I can't mount /dev/hda2 after a crash and that seems to be my
    > main native Linux partition. I'm screwed. I'm trying to use the
    > YaST tools to repair the partition information but this doesn't
    > seem to be working. I know the starting point (2040) and ending
    > point (238201) for the partition. I wonder if I can fix this
    > manually in Rescue System. I'm absolutely a Linux newbie and I'm
    > way out of my league. But I can work slowly and carefully to try
    > to save the data on this partition.
    >
    > The YaST tool has been saying "Activating /dev/hda1 for swap" and
    > "0%" for over an hour.
    >
    > Suggestions? Many thanks.
    >
    > Rich Hollenbeck

    One suggestion might be to tell us a little about your computer, hard drive
    type and version of Suse (or other flavor) you are using.

    For instance OpenSuse 10.3 uses sda instead of hda.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  3. Re: Can't mount /dev/hda2

    Oh! Sorry. It's SuSE 9.0. I'm running a Pentium III with about
    a 315 GB and about a 1.5 GB hard drives. The small drive is just
    for Windows 95 and some old programs I have that run well under
    that old OS. The computer boots with Grub and I think my Linux
    supports the Reiser file system.

    I'm also considering purchasing a Partition Magic or some similar
    program that works on Linux. Maybe there are some good
    recommendations. I simply MUST recover this data. I really don't
    care if I save anything else after that. The computer is old,
    but the data is timeless.

    Thanks.

    "Darrell Stec" wrote in message
    > Richard Hollenbeck wrote:
    >
    > > I can't mount /dev/hda2 after a crash and that seems to be my
    > > main native Linux partition. I'm screwed. I'm trying to use

    the
    > > YaST tools to repair the partition information but this

    doesn't
    > > seem to be working. I know the starting point (2040) and

    ending
    > > point (238201) for the partition. I wonder if I can fix this
    > > manually in Rescue System. I'm absolutely a Linux newbie and

    I'm
    > > way out of my league. But I can work slowly and carefully to

    try
    > > to save the data on this partition.
    > >
    > > The YaST tool has been saying "Activating /dev/hda1 for swap"

    and
    > > "0%" for over an hour.
    > >
    > > Suggestions? Many thanks.
    > >
    > > Rich Hollenbeck

    > One suggestion might be to tell us a little about your

    computer, hard drive
    > type and version of Suse (or other flavor) you are using.
    >
    > For instance OpenSuse 10.3 uses sda instead of hda.
    > --
    > Later,
    > Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com
    >
    > Webpage Sorcery
    > http://webpagesorcery.com
    > We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Can't mount /dev/hda2

    Richard Hollenbeck wrote:

    > Oh! Sorry. It's SuSE 9.0. I'm running a Pentium III with about
    > a 315 GB and about a 1.5 GB hard drives. The small drive is just
    > for Windows 95 and some old programs I have that run well under
    > that old OS. The computer boots with Grub and I think my Linux
    > supports the Reiser file system.
    >
    > I'm also considering purchasing a Partition Magic or some similar
    > program that works on Linux. Maybe there are some good
    > recommendations.

    NO, NO, NO. The best thing you can do with Partition Magic and its ilk as
    far as Linux is concerned is toss them into the garbage can. Linux,
    particularly Suse/OpenSuse has it own and better partitioning software that
    safely sizes partitions.

    > I simply MUST recover this data. I really don't
    > care if I save anything else after that. The computer is old,
    > but the data is timeless.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The very first thing to consider is whether you have a hardware or a
    software problem. If the corruption was caused by the electronics on the
    hard drive itself, recovery is not possible without expensive equipment and
    a cleanroom that is cleaner than a hospital operating room. Occassionally
    but not usually (read that as extremely rarely) if you have an identical
    hard drive in every way including revision numbers it is possible to switch
    the electronics boards and go on from there. However if the metal oxide is
    messed up on sector/track zero one is royally screwed (unless you just
    happen to have a few extra hundred thousand lying around and one of those
    labs in your neighborhood. But let's assume things are not that drastic
    (otherwise this will be an exercise in futility.

    You might try telling the system not to use the swap file. The computer
    will run like molasses or even slower but you will have eliminated one
    hurdle. But having said that, in some repairs, I've seen my computer and
    it is fast take more than 36 hours to fix a problem and then had to run the
    fix again for countless more hours. On a slower system, you might simply
    be too impatient. On some older computers running WinXP I've had to let my
    recovery software run for as long as 72 hours and even then only got a
    partial recovery. Even longer if one uses a debug and saves sector by
    sector, never leaving the computer but pushing PgDn and Save over,and over
    and over and over again.

    Before getting into a recovery technique I might suggest (if you have access
    to a broadband connection and a CD burner downloading The Ultimate Boot CD
    from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and under the menu option Filesystem
    Tools try the Testdisk application. I've used it quite a few times to fix
    partition problems.

    But your problem may not be a partition problem but rather a cataloging
    problem. So we will try and address that next if you cannot obtain the
    UBCD disk.

    > "Darrell Stec" wrote in message
    >> Richard Hollenbeck wrote:
    >>
    >> > I can't mount /dev/hda2 after a crash and that seems to be my
    >> > main native Linux partition. I'm screwed. I'm trying to use

    > the
    >> > YaST tools to repair the partition information but this

    > doesn't
    >> > seem to be working. I know the starting point (2040) and

    > ending
    >> > point (238201) for the partition. I wonder if I can fix this
    >> > manually in Rescue System. I'm absolutely a Linux newbie and

    > I'm
    >> > way out of my league. But I can work slowly and carefully to

    > try
    >> > to save the data on this partition.
    >> >
    >> > The YaST tool has been saying "Activating /dev/hda1 for swap"

    > and
    >> > "0%" for over an hour.
    >> >
    >> > Suggestions? Many thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Rich Hollenbeck

    >> One suggestion might be to tell us a little about your

    > computer, hard drive
    >> type and version of Suse (or other flavor) you are using.
    >>
    >> For instance OpenSuse 10.3 uses sda instead of hda.
    >> --
    >> Later,
    >> Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com
    >>
    >> Webpage Sorcery
    >> http://webpagesorcery.com
    >> We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Can't mount /dev/hda2

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:36:31 -0400, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >NO, NO, NO. The best thing you can do with Partition Magic and its ilk as
    >far as Linux is concerned is toss them into the garbage can. Linux,
    >particularly Suse/OpenSuse has it own and better partitioning software that
    >safely sizes partitions.

    I very much disagree about the inadequacies of Partition Magic, but I do
    feel that Linux software for Linux systems and Windows software for Windows
    solutions is the way to go ..

  6. Re: Can't mount /dev/hda2

    To recover your lost partition and data from Linux based system you
    can try Stellar Phoenix Linux Data Recovery Software. It is a data
    recovery software for Ext2 & Ext3 file system volumes.
    It Provides Linux partition recovery from a deleted logical
    partition.The software scans the disk trying to find previously
    existing partitions and restore the file(s), allowing Linux Partition
    Data Recovery.
    Download demo from: http://www.stellarinfo.com/linux-data-recovery.htm

+ Reply to Thread