openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk - Suse ; Okay, I have tried four installs and normally run two (non-Raid) SATA disks. With one hard disk connected, the install finishes but I can't mount the second SATA disk. With both SATA disks connected, the install falls over at the ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Okay, I have tried four installs and normally run two (non-Raid) SATA
    disks.

    With one hard disk connected, the install finishes but I can't mount
    the second SATA disk.

    With both SATA disks connected, the install falls over at the
    bootloader stage.

    I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem with
    two PATA drives.

    Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    caleula@iinet.net.au wrote:

    > Okay, I have tried four installs and normally run two (non-Raid) SATA
    > disks.
    >
    > With one hard disk connected, the install finishes but I can't mount
    > the second SATA disk.
    >
    > With both SATA disks connected, the install falls over at the
    > bootloader stage.
    >
    > I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem with
    > two PATA drives.
    >
    > Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

    They have done even better! 10.3 wont install on a SCSI machine either,
    nor will it upgrade an existing 10.2 on the same machine. It complains
    that there is no hardware to install on !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  3. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    On 2007-10-24, Baron wrote:
    >> I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem with
    >> two PATA drives.
    >>
    >> Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

    > They have done even better! 10.3 wont install on a SCSI machine either,
    > nor will it upgrade an existing 10.2 on the same machine. It complains
    > that there is no hardware to install on !

    That one, I can understand.
    I mean, how many people still use SCSI - on their own machines?
    Servers, sure. But simple desktops or laptops?

    My guess is, you have to load the the appropriate scsi module first.

    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2007-10-24, Baron wrote:
    >>> I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem
    >>> with two PATA drives.
    >>>
    >>> Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

    >> They have done even better! 10.3 wont install on a SCSI machine
    >> either,
    >> nor will it upgrade an existing 10.2 on the same machine. It
    >> complains that there is no hardware to install on !

    > That one, I can understand.
    > I mean, how many people still use SCSI - on their own machines?
    > Servers, sure. But simple desktops or laptops?

    I have dozens of clients that have SCSI based machines running Linux
    both desktops and servers.

    > My guess is, you have to load the the appropriate scsi module first.

    Good guess ! It does load the SCSI module for the card. But it still
    complains. You can force a text mode install and manually load the
    module, and it still complains. At this point I gave up and went home.

    I'll have another go tomorrow.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  5. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2007-10-24, Baron wrote:
    >>> I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem with
    >>> two PATA drives.
    >>>
    >>> Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

    >> They have done even better! 10.3 wont install on a SCSI machine either,
    >> nor will it upgrade an existing 10.2 on the same machine. It complains
    >> that there is no hardware to install on !

    > That one, I can understand.
    > I mean, how many people still use SCSI - on their own machines?
    > Servers, sure. But simple desktops or laptops?
    >

    > My guess is, you have to load the the appropriate scsi module first.

    I had no problem installing onto a TWO drive SCSI system.
    Granted I haven't tried all of the variations above... but
    methinks I smell a rat.

  6. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > Rikishi 42 wrote:

    >>> They have done even better! 10.3 wont install on a SCSI machine
    >>> either,
    >>> nor will it upgrade an existing 10.2 on the same machine. It
    >>> complains that there is no hardware to install on !

    >> That one, I can understand.
    >> I mean, how many people still use SCSI - on their own machines?
    >> Servers, sure. But simple desktops or laptops?
    >>

    >> My guess is, you have to load the the appropriate scsi module first.
    >>

    > I had no problem installing onto a TWO drive SCSI system.
    > Granted I haven't tried all of the variations above... but
    > methinks I smell a rat.

    I tend to agree. I am going to try a different UW card tomorrow. There
    could be something odd about the driver. I remember back in 9.x they
    forgot to include a couple of driver modules. I go bit by that one
    too.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    On 2007-10-24, caleula@iinet.net.au wrote:
    > Okay, I have tried four installs and normally run two (non-Raid) SATA
    > disks.

    > With one hard disk connected, the install finishes but I can't mount
    > the second SATA disk.

    > With both SATA disks connected, the install falls over at the
    > bootloader stage.

    > I have come across another user who has exactly the same problem with
    > two PATA drives.

    > Why, oh why did Novell break what worked fine in 10.1 and 10.2?

    I've installed 10.3 on a machine with 2 SATA hd and 2 SATA DVD. No
    problems. Perhaps a compatability setting in the BIOS?

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press Curiosities of the Sky
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Garrett Serviss

  8. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > I had no problem installing onto a TWO drive SCSI system.
    > Granted I haven't tried all of the variations above... but
    > methinks I smell a rat.

    Don't have scsi, but I installed on a two drive sata system. I did,
    however, only format one drive - the other I left alone. My 80 gb drive
    I reformatted and made an ext3 partition on. The 300 gb is rieser,
    mounted as /local and wasn't touched. Worked flawlessly...

    ....Kevin

  9. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > I had no problem installing onto a TWO drive SCSI system.
    > Granted I haven't tried all of the variations above... but
    > methinks I smell a rat.

    Don't have scsi, but I installed on a two drive sata system. I did,
    however, only format one drive - the other I left alone. My 80 gb drive
    I reformatted and made an ext3 partition on. The 300 gb is rieser,
    mounted as /local and wasn't touched. Worked flawlessly...

    ....Kevin

  10. Re: openSUSE 10.3 won't install if more than one hard disk

    Baron wrote:

    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Rikishi 42 wrote:

    >>> That one, I can understand.
    >>> I mean, how many people still use SCSI - on their own machines?
    >>> Servers, sure. But simple desktops or laptops?
    >>>

    >>> My guess is, you have to load the the appropriate scsi module first.
    >>>

    >> I had no problem installing onto a TWO drive SCSI system.
    >> Granted I haven't tried all of the variations above... but
    >> methinks I smell a rat.

    > I tend to agree. I am going to try a different UW card tomorrow.
    > There
    > could be something odd about the driver. I remember back in 9.x they
    > forgot to include a couple of driver modules. I go bit by that one
    > too.

    It seems that the initio scsi module is broken!

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

+ Reply to Thread