DVD Burner in DMA mode - Suse

This is a discussion on DVD Burner in DMA mode - Suse ; openSUSE 10.3 KDE 3.5.8 How can I put my DVD burner back into DMA mode. It chokes with the default PIO when using either K9copy or K3B when trying to burn a DVD. Any thoughts...

  1. DVD Burner in DMA mode

    openSUSE 10.3
    KDE 3.5.8

    How can I put my DVD burner back into DMA mode. It chokes with the
    default PIO when using either K9copy or K3B when trying to burn a DVD.

    Any thoughts

  2. Re: DVD Burner in DMA mode

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:32:36 +0000, Who Cares wrote:

    > openSUSE 10.3
    > KDE 3.5.8

    > How can I put my DVD burner back into DMA mode. It chokes with the default
    > PIO when using either K9copy or K3B when trying to burn a DVD.

    > Any thoughts

    man hdparm

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: DVD Burner in DMA mode

    On Oct 24, 11:57 am, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:32:36 +0000, Who Cares wrote:
    > > openSUSE 10.3
    > > KDE 3.5.8
    > > How can I put my DVD burner back into DMA mode. It chokes with the default
    > > PIO when using either K9copy or K3B when trying to burn a DVD.
    > > Any thoughts

    > man hdparm
    >
    > --
    > Linux Help:http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    > Email - rsgib...@verizon.borg
    > Replace borg with net

    Thanks for the hint, but that is way above my head right now.
    Apparently I can make the change for the DVD-ROM in /etc/sysconfig. I
    am just not sure wnat the syntax should be.

    Here are my mount point right now

    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)

  4. Re: DVD Burner in DMA mode

    Who Cares wrote:
    >> > How can I put my DVD burner back into DMA mode. It chokes with the default
    >> > PIO when using either K9copy or K3B when trying to burn a DVD.
    >> > Any thoughts

    >> man hdparm
    >>

    > Thanks for the hint, but that is way above my head right now.
    > Apparently I can make the change for the DVD-ROM in /etc/sysconfig. I
    > am just not sure wnat the syntax should be.
    >
    > Here are my mount point right now
    >
    > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    > debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    > /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    > securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    > none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)

    yast / hardware / IDE DMA-Mode

  5. Re: DVD Burner in DMA mode

    On Oct 25, 7:26 am, Andreas wrote:

    > >> man hdparm

    > > Thanks for the hint, but that is way above my head right now.
    > > Apparently I can make the change for the DVD-ROM in /etc/sysconfig. I
    > > am just not sure wnat the syntax should be.

    > > Here are my mount point right now

    > > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    > > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    > > debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    > > udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    > > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    > > /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    > > securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    > > none on /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)

    > yast / hardware / IDE DMA-Mode

    I don't see that in openSUSE 10.3, care to point me in another
    direction

  6. Re: DVD Burner in DMA mode

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:40:46 -0700, Who Cares wrote:

    >> > Thanks for the hint, but that is way above my head right now.
    >> > Apparently I can make the change for the DVD-ROM in /etc/sysconfig. I
    >> > am just not sure wnat the syntax should be.

    >> > Here are my mount point right now

    >> > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr) proc on /proc type proc
    >> > (rw)
    >> > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    >> > debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw) udev on /dev type
    >> > tmpfs (rw)
    >> > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5) /dev/sda2 on
    >> > /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr) securityfs on
    >> > /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw) none on
    >> > /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint type vmblock (rw)

    >> yast / hardware / IDE DMA-Mode

    > I don't see that in openSUSE 10.3, care to point me in another direction

    YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor

    Go to Hardware -> IDE -> DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA

    The syntax is in the description. Note that you might no longer have
    /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd as your optical drives. Mine appear as /dev/sr0
    and /dev/sr1

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003