DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC? - Suse

This is a discussion on DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC? - Suse ; Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work with OpenSuse 10.3??...

  1. DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work
    with OpenSuse 10.3??

  2. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:54:56 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:

    > Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work with
    > OpenSuse 10.3??

    Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    If so, I have the H/W ver C1, which runs fine with the RT73 driver.

    I got my one from the Ralink Tech (the chip manufacturer) website http://
    www.ralinktech.com

    There is another driver that is supposed to work with it, but the
    manufacturers one worked better for me.

    NB. The Ralink manufacturers driver is actually open source.

    Here are the relevant lines from /var/log/messages for my device:

    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: new high speed USB device using
    ehci_hcd and address 8
    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: new device found, idVendor=07d1,
    idProduct=3c03
    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: new device strings: Mfr=1,
    Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: Product: 802.11 bg WLAN
    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: Manufacturer: Ralink
    Oct 26 19:07:37 dell kernel: usb 4-3.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1
    choice

    NB. I haven't been using this device lately, (I now have an Intel
    internal card). I have just downloaded and compiled the 1.0.4.0 RT73
    driver from Ralink Tech and it compiled and appears to work.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  3. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    "David Bailey" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:54:56 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work with
    >> OpenSuse 10.3??

    > Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    No, the old DWL-122 USB.

    > NB. I haven't been using this device lately, (I now have an Intel
    > internal card). I have just downloaded and compiled the 1.0.4.0 RT73
    > driver from Ralink Tech and it compiled and appears to work.

    About compiling, you need to have the full SuSe source tree to compile
    stuff, right?

    If so, how come it is not installed by default?

    > --
    > Regards,
    > David Bailey
    > david _AT_ bailey dot id dot au

  4. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    Ab Pp wrote:

    >"David Bailey" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:54:56 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work with
    >>> OpenSuse 10.3??

    >> Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    >No, the old DWL-122 USB.

    >> NB. I haven't been using this device lately, (I now have an Intel
    >> internal card). I have just downloaded and compiled the 1.0.4.0 RT73
    >> driver from Ralink Tech and it compiled and appears to work.

    >About compiling, you need to have the full SuSe source tree to compile
    >stuff, right?

    >If so, how come it is not installed by default?

    Takes up a lot of space and 99% of all users don't ever
    need or use it.

    But it *is* shipped on the DVD (and probably on the CD's too).
    It is the only source shipped on the installation disks. So
    it is there if you need it.

    If you installed from the single CD install, you can find it
    in the main SUSE repository.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    How do I install the source tree?

    On Oct 26, 12:15 pm, Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Ab Pp wrote:
    > >"David Bailey" wrote in message

    > >> Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    > >No, the old DWL-122 USB.
    > >> NB. I haven't been using this device lately, (I now have an Intel
    > >> internal card). I have just downloaded and compiled the 1.0.4.0 RT73
    > >> driver from Ralink Tech and it compiled and appears to work.

    > >About compiling, you need to have the full SuSe source tree to compile
    > >stuff, right?
    > >If so, how come it is not installed by default?

    > Takes up a lot of space and 99% of all users don't ever
    > need or use it.
    >
    > But it *is* shipped on the DVD (and probably on the CD's too).
    > It is the only source shipped on the installation disks. So
    > it is there if you need it.
    >
    > If you installed from the single CD install, you can find it
    > in the main SUSE repository.
    >
    > --
    > --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:37:36 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:

    > "David Bailey" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:54:56 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone been able to make the DLink DWL-122 USB dongle work with
    >>> OpenSuse 10.3??

    >> Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    > No, the old DWL-122 USB.

    In that case, it possibly runs the prism chipset. See:
    http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_p...andname=D-Link

    There appear to be prism drivers available within SUSE, have a look in
    YaST

    > About compiling, you need to have the full SuSe source tree to compile
    > stuff, right?

    You can install the kernel source from YaST. The package is
    "kernel-source"

    Once you have it installed (as root):
    * cd /usr/src/linux
    * make cloneconfig
    * make modules_prepare
    That sets up the kernel source for *your* individual system

    > If so, how come it is not installed by default?

    Not everyone wants to compile stuff for their kernel. Like just about
    everything else, you can install only the bits you want.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  7. Re: DLINK DWL-122 USB NIC?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:43:38 +0000, David Bailey wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:37:36 -0400, Ab Pp wrote:
    >
    >> "David Bailey" wrote in message

    >>> Do you actually mean the DLink DWL-G122 USB wirless dongle?

    >> No, the old DWL-122 USB.

    > In that case, it possibly runs the prism chipset. See:
    > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_p...andname=D-Link
    >
    > There appear to be prism drivers available within SUSE, have a look in
    > YaST
    >

    >> About compiling, you need to have the full SuSe source tree to compile
    >> stuff, right?

    > You can install the kernel source from YaST. The package is
    > "kernel-source"
    >
    > Once you have it installed (as root):

    Do an online update otherwise the source will (probably) not match your
    running kernel, then:

    > * cd /usr/src/linux
    > * make cloneconfig
    > * make modules_prepare
    > That sets up the kernel source for *your* individual system
    >

    >> If so, how come it is not installed by default?

    > Not everyone wants to compile stuff for their kernel. Like just about
    > everything else, you can install only the bits you want.

+ Reply to Thread