Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3 - Suse ; zed schrieb: > Hi! > > openSUSE 10.3. Tried to create database in OOo. Error message JRE not > found. Could not find it on openSUSE 10.3 CD (KDE). Downloaded it from > the internet as jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm and then realised ...

  1. Re: Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3

    zed schrieb:
    > Hi!
    >
    > openSUSE 10.3. Tried to create database in OOo. Error message JRE not
    > found. Could not find it on openSUSE 10.3 CD (KDE). Downloaded it from
    > the internet as jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm and then realised I hadn't a clue
    > what to do with to install it.

    You don't do it that way. The package you downloaded from "someplace" is not
    suited for openSuSE.

    JRE is "Java Runtinme environment". Run YaST->Software->Install and search
    for "java". The package you need is "java-1_5_0-sun" or newer. The naming
    scheme is a little akward with java, I think Sun is to blame for it.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  2. Re: Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3

    Jan Kandziora wrote:

    > zed schrieb:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> openSUSE 10.3. Tried to create database in OOo. Error message JRE not
    >> found. Could not find it on openSUSE 10.3 CD (KDE). Downloaded it from
    >> the internet as jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm and then realised I hadn't a clue
    >> what to do with to install it.
    >>

    > You don't do it that way. The package you downloaded from "someplace" is
    > not suited for openSuSE.
    >
    > JRE is "Java Runtinme environment". Run YaST->Software->Install and search
    > for "java". The package you need is "java-1_5_0-sun" or newer. The naming
    > scheme is a little akward with java, I think Sun is to blame for it.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    open a konsole
    su
    then enter password
    cd to dir where rpm is then type
    rpm -Ui jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm it might not install thou

  3. Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3

    Hi!

    openSUSE 10.3. Tried to create database in OOo. Error message JRE not
    found. Could not find it on openSUSE 10.3 CD (KDE). Downloaded it from the
    internet as jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm and then realised I hadn't a clue what to
    do with to install it.

    Yeah! I know we geriatrics should be quietly put to rest:-) But I refuse to
    go until I get to grips with this Linux technology, so there!

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Regards from New Zealand on a very cool and wettish Wednesday morning.

    David
    --
    David Love

  4. Re: Databse in OOo on OpenSUSE 10.3

    darklight wrote:

    > Jan Kandziora wrote:
    >
    >> zed schrieb:
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> openSUSE 10.3. Tried to create database in OOo. Error message JRE not
    >>> found. Could not find it on openSUSE 10.3 CD (KDE). Downloaded it from
    >>> the internet as jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm and then realised I hadn't a clue
    >>> what to do with to install it.
    >>>

    >> You don't do it that way. The package you downloaded from "someplace" is
    >> not suited for openSuSE.
    >>
    >> JRE is "Java Runtinme environment". Run YaST->Software->Install and
    >> search for "java". The package you need is "java-1_5_0-sun" or newer. The
    >> naming scheme is a little akward with java, I think Sun is to blame for
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> Jan

    > open a konsole
    > su
    > then enter password
    > cd to dir where rpm is then type
    > rpm -Ui jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm it might not install thou

    Yes, you must have some kind of Java installed from the online repositories
    or the CD/DVD.

    One other thing to check is to make sure your OpenOffice has the JRE turned
    on and running. Just to verify:

    Open an OpenOffice application such as Writer.
    Click on TOOLS.
    Click on OPTIONS.
    In the window that pops up, look under OpenOffice.org and choose Java.
    Make sure there is an X by Use a Java Runtime Environment.
    Choose the JRE already installed. It might be 1.5 or 1.6.
    Save and see if you can get your work done.

    Perhaps this will help. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread