help please new user here - Suse

This is a discussion on help please new user here - Suse ; ok i made the switch to sles actually dualboot and everything went well but 2 things are a problem seems i have to sign up for some package if im gonna get updates i thought suse was free??? Second i ...

  1. help please new user here

    ok i made the switch to sles actually dualboot and everything went well
    but 2 things are a problem seems i have to sign up for some package if
    im gonna get updates i thought suse was free??? Second i cant find any
    program in the media collection that will play my vids all of them say i
    need codecs first where to get them...then how to install them is
    everything in linux this difficult... i tried suse because i heard it
    was very stable but i do use vids a lot and need this any suggestions??
    Im not the most brilliant kid on the block but have been looking thru
    the help files any help would be appreciated

    thank you
    bob

  2. Re: help please new user here

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:26:40 +0000, bob wrote:

    > ok i made the switch to sles actually dualboot and everything went well
    > but 2 things are a problem seems i have to sign up for some package if
    > im gonna get updates i thought suse was free??? Second i cant find any
    > program in the media collection that will play my vids all of them say i
    > need codecs first where to get them...then how to install them is
    > everything in linux this difficult... i tried suse because i heard it
    > was very stable but i do use vids a lot and need this any suggestions??
    > Im not the most brilliant kid on the block but have been looking thru
    > the help files any help would be appreciated
    >
    > thank you
    > bob

    It is my understanding that OpenSuse is free - SLES and SLED are
    commercial.

  3. Re: help please new user here

    bob schrieb:

    > ok i made the switch to sles actually dualboot and everything went well
    > but 2 things are a problem seems i have to sign up for some package if
    > im gonna get updates i thought suse was free???

    SLES is "SuSE Linux Enterprise Server"

    What in the world make you install that thing on your
    1. personal PC
    2. desktop PC
    ?

    Use OpenSuSE if you want community support. SLES is neither optimized for
    desktop use nor for people who don't want to buy support from Novell.

    > Second i cant find any
    > program in the media collection that will play my vids all of them say i
    > need codecs first where to get them...then how to install them is

    First, switch to OpenSuSE (10.2 (stable) or 10.3 (brand new)). Read the
    opensuse.org wiki pages for a primer and further reference.

    Here http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories you find a list of
    repositories with additional software not included on the DVD. Add
    the "packman" package repository to your install sources with
    YaST->Software->Installation sources. Then you can easily install
    the "Mplayer" (and gmplayer etc.) packages through YaST->Software->Install,
    which have all common and uncommon codecs built into.

    > everything in linux this difficult...

    It's different. You cannot expect a motorbike or tank or batmobile to be the
    same like a station wagon. That wouldn't be fun nor useful.

    With some endurance, you will get accustomed to the Linux environment soon
    and recognize its own beauty.

    Kind regards

    Jan

+ Reply to Thread