suse on laptop? - Suse

This is a discussion on suse on laptop? - Suse ; I'm trying to install 64bit suse 9 enterprise on a 64 bit dell laptop. Had problems initially where it'd hang after formatting but resolved that by installing with acpi off. Now it goes thru the first part of the install, ...

  1. suse on laptop?

    I'm trying to install 64bit suse 9 enterprise on a 64 bit dell laptop.
    Had problems initially where it'd hang after formatting but resolved
    that
    by installing with acpi off. Now it goes thru the first part of the
    install,
    completes formatting and installing software and tries to reboot and
    hangs
    on reboot. No output on screen and screen appears locked as even
    capslock/shift doesn't light up the LEDs.

    I tried interrupting the boot process and adding the switches
    acpi=off noapic apm=off

    but I'm still getting a hang. The disk is SATA. If I boot off a live
    Suse
    CD, mount it as /dev/sda3. Looking at grub.conf, I see:

    root (hd0,2)
    install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/
    grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menus.1st

    I verified that all of the above files exist and look reasonable as
    well as
    the boot/grub.device.map.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: suse on laptop?

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:58:27 +0000, zubi wrote:

    > I'm trying to install 64bit suse 9 enterprise on a 64 bit dell laptop.
    > Had problems initially where it'd hang after formatting but resolved
    > that
    > by installing with acpi off. Now it goes thru the first part of the
    > install,
    > completes formatting and installing software and tries to reboot and
    > hangs
    > on reboot. No output on screen and screen appears locked as even
    > capslock/shift doesn't light up the LEDs.
    >
    > I tried interrupting the boot process and adding the switches acpi=off
    > noapic apm=off
    >
    > but I'm still getting a hang. The disk is SATA. If I boot off a live
    > Suse
    > CD, mount it as /dev/sda3. Looking at grub.conf, I see:
    >
    > root (hd0,2)
    > install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/
    > grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menus.1st
    >
    > I verified that all of the above files exist and look reasonable as well
    > as
    > the boot/grub.device.map.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I have a Dell dimension C521 desktop and have had no end of problems.

    I have tried a few distros and have settled so far on open suse 10.3
    AMD64. All distros (those I have tried) have had to be installed with
    'acpi=no' or they will just lock with a blank screen. The best distro for
    feel that I tried on this machine is debian except that the mouse (usb
    optical) will lock everything up after about half an hour and nothing
    will persuade this box to get back to work.

    64Studio - mandriva 2008 and Gentoo all have the same problem, I even
    bought another mouse (Technika) that makes no difference.

    Dell make decent machines that have problems under linux. Unfortunately.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  3. Re: suse on laptop?

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...hursday_1.html

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  4. Re: suse on laptop?

    zubi wrote:
    > I'm trying to install 64bit suse 9 enterprise on a 64 bit dell laptop.
    > Had problems initially where it'd hang after formatting but resolved
    > that
    > by installing with acpi off. Now it goes thru the first part of the
    > install,
    > completes formatting and installing software and tries to reboot and
    > hangs
    > on reboot. No output on screen and screen appears locked as even
    > capslock/shift doesn't light up the LEDs.

    Dell has several laptops... many are completely different.
    You may want to post the EXACT model you have. Somebody
    may have already figured the thing out (?).

    > I tried interrupting the boot process and adding the switches
    > acpi=off noapic apm=off
    >
    > but I'm still getting a hang. The disk is SATA. If I boot off a live
    > Suse
    > CD, mount it as /dev/sda3. Looking at grub.conf, I see:
    >
    > root (hd0,2)
    > install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/
    > grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menus.1st
    >
    > I verified that all of the above files exist and look reasonable as
    > well as
    > the boot/grub.device.map.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  5. Re: suse on laptop?

    zubi wrote:

    > I'm trying to install 64bit suse 9 enterprise on a 64 bit dell laptop.
    > Had problems initially where it'd hang after formatting but resolved
    > that
    > by installing with acpi off. Now it goes thru the first part of the
    > install,
    > completes formatting and installing software and tries to reboot and
    > hangs
    > on reboot. No output on screen and screen appears locked as even
    > capslock/shift doesn't light up the LEDs.

    Did you try to install a modern opensuse (10.2 or 10.3)? If you install
    enterprise instead of opensuse I presume you've a novell contract, so do
    they offer you a solution?
    taco

+ Reply to Thread