lots of trouble with cd installation - Suse

This is a discussion on lots of trouble with cd installation - Suse ; well i have a very old laptop which had all sorts of problems which i sorted by installing xp. now i've dual booted 3 machines now with suse 10.3 dvd. now for the cd. no dvd drive on this old ...

  1. lots of trouble with cd installation

    well i have a very old laptop which had all sorts of problems which i sorted
    by installing xp. now i've dual booted 3 machines now with suse 10.3 dvd.
    now for the cd. no dvd drive on this old thing.

    cd autostarted inside windows and made an install file. finally rebooted
    selected to use this boot file from hard disk.

    now it wanted to create a swap file or partition. selected partion. said
    it would delete main partition and lose all data. ouch no way. i'm
    assuming 192mb is not enough to install 10.3 all in ram.

    so selected make a swap file instead. would not auto configure drive.
    tried to +2G which i would hope is a 2gig partition. no go. put in a
    number and got a partition going. anyway now have no windows, 3.9 gig
    install 1.9 for dunno what and 5 gig swap file.

    Tried running yast. once in desktop. didn't like it. so selected new
    install (booting from cd) and got to partion again. wants to delete 3.9
    partition and create a 3.9 sda3. no i want to delete swap file and set it
    to something smaller, 5 gigs is excessive with a 10 gig drive. can't resize
    swap file due to inconsistencies of summit or other. cannot delete as swap
    partition being used for install. i want to completely wipe the lot and let
    susie get on with it but hopefully choose a smaller swap file. Someone
    suggested suse 9.2 and gave me 5 discs. reckon it would be less demanding
    than 10.2 on my minimal hardware.

    In case you're wondering i'm using this old thing to experiment with linux
    on. also 192mb is the maximum ram it will take. formatted drive is 9.3gig.
    still using good old windows on another machine to send this.

  2. Re: lots of trouble with cd installation

    ian wrote:

    > well i have a very old laptop which had all sorts of problems which i
    > sorted
    > by installing xp. now i've dual booted 3 machines now with suse 10.3 dvd.
    > now for the cd. no dvd drive on this old thing.
    >
    > cd autostarted inside windows and made an install file. finally rebooted
    > selected to use this boot file from hard disk.
    >
    > now it wanted to create a swap file or partition. selected partion. said
    > it would delete main partition and lose all data. ouch no way. i'm
    > assuming 192mb is not enough to install 10.3 all in ram.
    >
    > so selected make a swap file instead. would not auto configure drive.
    > tried to +2G which i would hope is a 2gig partition. no go. put in a
    > number and got a partition going. anyway now have no windows, 3.9 gig
    > install 1.9 for dunno what and 5 gig swap file.
    >
    > Tried running yast. once in desktop. didn't like it. so selected new
    > install (booting from cd) and got to partion again. wants to delete 3.9
    > partition and create a 3.9 sda3. no i want to delete swap file and set it
    > to something smaller, 5 gigs is excessive with a 10 gig drive. can't
    > resize
    > swap file due to inconsistencies of summit or other. cannot delete as
    > swap
    > partition being used for install. i want to completely wipe the lot and
    > let
    > susie get on with it but hopefully choose a smaller swap file. Someone
    > suggested suse 9.2 and gave me 5 discs. reckon it would be less demanding
    > than 10.2 on my minimal hardware.
    >
    > In case you're wondering i'm using this old thing to experiment with linux
    > on. also 192mb is the maximum ram it will take. formatted drive is
    > 9.3gig. still using good old windows on another machine to send this.

    I installed 10.3 from DVD onto a laptop with no CD, DVD, or floppy by using
    a USB external drive with a DVD drive in it. Installed just like on a
    desktop and works well.

  3. Re: lots of trouble with cd installation

    "John Bowling" wrote in message
    : ian wrote:
    :
    : > well i have a very old laptop which had all sorts of problems which i
    : > sorted
    : > by installing xp. now i've dual booted 3 machines now with suse 10.3
    dvd.
    : > now for the cd. no dvd drive on this old thing.
    : >
[...]

    don't have the install from usb option, just cd hard drive or floppy.

  4. Re: lots of trouble with cd installation update

    "ian" wrote in message

    booted from cd yet again. wanted me to create a swap file. For some reason
    there was 475mb not allocate anywhere so i elected to use that. AFter back
    and forth and aborting i managed to get 5gb for root 3.9gb for home users
    and a swap file with 475mb. probably too small now. this new install went
    alot quicker. i also had the options at one stage to use the user settings
    that i inputted first time around. very cool.

+ Reply to Thread