Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly. - Suse

This is a discussion on Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly. - Suse ; I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as soon as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in ...

  1. Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly.

    I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home
    partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as soon
    as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in
    ksysguard either.

    I've tried renaming the .mozilla directory so that a new one would be
    created. That had no effect. I then uninstalled version 2.0.0.8 and
    installed v. 2.0.0.6 from the DVD. Still did not fix the problem. I tried
    renaming the recreating the /home/username/.mozilla directory too. No
    change.

    So I tried the same proceedure with v. 2.0.0.6 from another source. Again
    no change. I tried deleting an uninstalling 2.0.0.8 from both the
    repository and the mozilla openSuse repository with nothing else fixing the
    behavior.

    Anybody have a clue as to what to look for? I just installed the
    complimentary firefox debug file but need hints on how to use it.

    And then I will try to fix the problem with PHP files not running but rather
    offering to load Bluefish or other editor of my choice. The files are in
    subdirectories under the /home/user/public_html directory. some
    directories work as they are supposed to and others do not. I've checked
    permissions. Now if I can only remember what I did in 10.2 to make it
    work.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  2. Re: Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly.

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    > I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home
    > partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as
    > soon as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in
    > ksysguard either.
    >
    > I've tried renaming the .mozilla directory so that a new one would be
    > created. That had no effect. I then uninstalled version 2.0.0.8 and
    > installed v. 2.0.0.6 from the DVD. Still did not fix the problem. I
    > tried
    > renaming the recreating the /home/username/.mozilla directory too. No
    > change.
    >
    > So I tried the same proceedure with v. 2.0.0.6 from another source. Again
    > no change. I tried deleting an uninstalling 2.0.0.8 from both the
    > repository and the mozilla openSuse repository with nothing else fixing
    > the behavior.
    >
    > Anybody have a clue as to what to look for? I just installed the
    > complimentary firefox debug file but need hints on how to use it.
    >
    > And then I will try to fix the problem with PHP files not running but
    > rather
    > offering to load Bluefish or other editor of my choice. The files are in
    > subdirectories under the /home/user/public_html directory. some
    > directories work as they are supposed to and others do not. I've checked
    > permissions. Now if I can only remember what I did in 10.2 to make it
    > work.

    I went through the same exercise, as I was using the fglrx driver I reverted
    back to the radeon driver and no problems since. Will have to wait for the
    next release from ATI.

  3. Re: Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly.

    Bob & Gail wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home
    >> partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as
    >> soon as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in
    >> ksysguard either.
    >>
    >> I've tried renaming the .mozilla directory so that a new one would be
    >> created. That had no effect. I then uninstalled version 2.0.0.8 and
    >> installed v. 2.0.0.6 from the DVD. Still did not fix the problem. I
    >> tried
    >> renaming the recreating the /home/username/.mozilla directory too. No
    >> change.
    >>
    >> So I tried the same proceedure with v. 2.0.0.6 from another source.
    >> Again
    >> no change. I tried deleting an uninstalling 2.0.0.8 from both the
    >> repository and the mozilla openSuse repository with nothing else fixing
    >> the behavior.
    >>
    >> Anybody have a clue as to what to look for? I just installed the
    >> complimentary firefox debug file but need hints on how to use it.
    >>
    >> And then I will try to fix the problem with PHP files not running but
    >> rather
    >> offering to load Bluefish or other editor of my choice. The files are in
    >> subdirectories under the /home/user/public_html directory. some
    >> directories work as they are supposed to and others do not. I've checked
    >> permissions. Now if I can only remember what I did in 10.2 to make it
    >> work.
    >>

    > I went through the same exercise, as I was using the fglrx driver I
    > reverted back to the radeon driver and no problems since. Will have to
    > wait for the next release from ATI.

    Ah, that brings back memories. Games and Wine would close like that with
    10.2 until I got rid of DRI using the OpenChrome drivers for the Via
    Technology KM400 chipset. However when those programs aborted they also
    sent me back to the signon screen. This just shuts down Firefox.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly.

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    > I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home
    > partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as
    > soon as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in
    > ksysguard either.
    >
    > I've tried renaming the .mozilla directory so that a new one would be
    > created. That had no effect. I then uninstalled version 2.0.0.8 and
    > installed v. 2.0.0.6 from the DVD. Still did not fix the problem. I
    > tried
    > renaming the recreating the /home/username/.mozilla directory too. No
    > change.
    >
    > So I tried the same proceedure with v. 2.0.0.6 from another source. Again
    > no change. I tried deleting an uninstalling 2.0.0.8 from both the
    > repository and the mozilla openSuse repository with nothing else fixing
    > the behavior.
    >
    > Anybody have a clue as to what to look for? I just installed the
    > complimentary firefox debug file but need hints on how to use it.

    Nothing like talking to one's self here, but hell, I like the company.

    I've narrowed the problem down to a JavaScript problem. If I turn off
    JavaScript then Firefox acts normally. I haven't investigated what the
    exact problem is in whatever scripts are running on the various websites
    but it seems to always be the same URLs each time.

    Anybody have a clue or encountered this behavior before?

    > And then I will try to fix the problem with PHP files not running but
    > rather
    > offering to load Bluefish or other editor of my choice. The files are in
    > subdirectories under the /home/user/public_html directory. some
    > directories work as they are supposed to and others do not. I've checked
    > permissions. Now if I can only remember what I did in 10.2 to make it
    > work.

    OK, I've solved this problem albeit in an unconventional manner that might
    bite me in the dorsal end before all is said and done.

    What I did was use a symlink to link my public_html directory
    as: "ln -s /home/username/public_html /srv/www/htdocs"

    At least that allowed the Apache2 server to find my public_html directories.

    Next I edited /etc/apache2.mime.types to include the line "application/x-php
    php php3 php4 php5 php6" then rebooted the apache sever with "sudo
    rcapache2 restart".

    That seemed to work except for one application the required register_globals
    to be turned on. Figuring out a way to do that without breaking the above
    statement took another few hours after which I determined that a quick
    cheat would be to edit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini to turn on the
    register_globals and delete all the other lines in the file. So far it
    worked.

    Does anybody know the downside to what I just did?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Firefox 2.0.06 & 2.0.0.8 closes unexpectedly. RESOLVED

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed 10.3 this past week, new installation but old /home
    >> partition. Firefox acts weird. In about 6 out of 10 links to URLs as
    >> soon as the page is done, Firefox just shuts itself off (nothing shows in
    >> ksysguard either.
    >>
    >> I've tried renaming the .mozilla directory so that a new one would be
    >> created. That had no effect. I then uninstalled version 2.0.0.8 and
    >> installed v. 2.0.0.6 from the DVD. Still did not fix the problem. I
    >> tried
    >> renaming the recreating the /home/username/.mozilla directory too. No
    >> change.
    >>
    >> So I tried the same proceedure with v. 2.0.0.6 from another source.
    >> Again
    >> no change. I tried deleting an uninstalling 2.0.0.8 from both the
    >> repository and the mozilla openSuse repository with nothing else fixing
    >> the behavior.
    >>
    >> Anybody have a clue as to what to look for? I just installed the
    >> complimentary firefox debug file but need hints on how to use it.

    > Nothing like talking to one's self here, but hell, I like the company.
    >
    > I've narrowed the problem down to a JavaScript problem. If I turn off
    > JavaScript then Firefox acts normally. I haven't investigated what the
    > exact problem is in whatever scripts are running on the various websites
    > but it seems to always be the same URLs each time.
    >
    > Anybody have a clue or encountered this behavior before?

    The cure was really simple and I was a simpleton for not thinking about it
    before. With Firefox shut down, I went to the ./mozilla/firefox
    subdirectory where the xqr09at5(gibberish).default directory resided and
    deleted the extensions subdirectory which gets recreated upon relaunch
    anyway. The only downside is that any Add-on Themes and Extensions must be
    reinstalled. But I only had one Add-on the User Agent Switcher for
    websites that cater to the IE only crowd. Plus a new Theme I installed
    called Halloween, just for the holiday.

    >> And then I will try to fix the problem with PHP files not running but
    >> rather
    >> offering to load Bluefish or other editor of my choice. The files are in
    >> subdirectories under the /home/user/public_html directory. some
    >> directories work as they are supposed to and others do not. I've checked
    >> permissions. Now if I can only remember what I did in 10.2 to make it
    >> work.
    >>

    > OK, I've solved this problem albeit in an unconventional manner that might
    > bite me in the dorsal end before all is said and done.
    >
    > What I did was use a symlink to link my public_html directory
    > as: "ln -s /home/username/public_html /srv/www/htdocs"
    >
    > At least that allowed the Apache2 server to find my public_html
    > directories.
    >
    > Next I edited /etc/apache2.mime.types to include the line
    > "application/x-php php php3 php4 php5 php6" then rebooted the apache sever
    > with "sudo rcapache2 restart".
    >
    > That seemed to work except for one application the required
    > register_globals
    > to be turned on. Figuring out a way to do that without breaking the above
    > statement took another few hours after which I determined that a quick
    > cheat would be to edit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini to turn on the
    > register_globals and delete all the other lines in the file. So far it
    > worked.
    >
    > Does anybody know the downside to what I just did?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery