xgl ain't too hot in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on xgl ain't too hot in 10.3 - Suse ; I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed. I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either....

  1. xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

  2. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Broderick Crawford wrote:

    > I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    > windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    > I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

    Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much more
    useful information:

    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion

    It is good to bookmark articles that one needs for some time and remove
    later when they are not needed.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Broderick Crawford wrote:

    > I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    > windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    > I can't find 10.3 specific instructions eithER

    I no longer use XGL, just the most current NVIDIA drivers and everything
    runs just fine, 10.3 setup shouldn't be any different than 10.x and the
    best place for help is the compiz-fusion forums
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >
    >> I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    >> windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    >> I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

    > Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much more
    > useful information:
    >
    > http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA- I did this

    > http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion This is a lot of frigging around compared to

    10.2.

    > It is good to bookmark articles that one needs for some time and remove
    > later when they are not needed.

  5. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Broderick Crawford wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    >>> windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    >>> I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

    >> Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much more
    >> useful information:
    >>
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    > I did this

    Note: Some of use use color for quoted text, so line after initial > appear
    green, and when you add comment behind sentence it is also green. I was
    looking twice to see your answer.

    >> http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz_Fusion

    > This is a lot of frigging around compared to 10.2.

    You said that you have window without border, to get them back:
    compiz --replace ccp &
    will do that and than you will have few popular Beryl effects.
    Most of them are not enabled by default. You have to use
    compizconfig-settings-manager, a GUI plugin configuration tool.
    It can be launched with the command ccsm or find it in your menu under
    Utillities -> Desktop."

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >
    >> I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    >> windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    >> I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

    > Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much more
    > useful information:
    >
    > http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    by following these instructions on my 10.2 system I 'destroyed' my graphics
    card driver what means zserver wouldn't start anymore, yast either so i
    booted with an Ubuntu CD, got the driver from the Nvidia homepage and
    installed it again - that's how i got my X back...any ideas what i did
    wrongly?

    Thanks,
    Ron

  7. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried xgl instead of xorg and it sucks. You loose the borders on
    >>> windows and it's slow. I do have the correct Nvidia drivers installed.
    >>> I can't find 10.3 specific instructions either.

    >> Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much more
    >> useful information:
    >>
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    > by following these instructions on my 10.2 system I 'destroyed' my
    > graphics card driver what means zserver wouldn't start anymore, yast
    > either so i booted with an Ubuntu CD, got the driver from the Nvidia
    > homepage and installed it again - that's how i got my X back...any ideas
    > what i did wrongly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron

    In my last two OpenSuse 10.3 installations with nVidia cards I found that
    there was more than one set of drivers to choose from in the OpenSuse
    repositories. Naturally I installed the wrong one first, or the wrong one
    was chosen by sax2. I found that uninstalling the driver and then
    reinstalling the correct one worked in those instances.

    On my newer HP system (a720n -- ok so in computer time, not so new) the
    Ubuntu Live disk would not even attempt to install but on my 9 year old
    Soho based motherboard it had no problems. Likewise on my HP system, I
    cannot get 3D to work properly with the Via Technologies KM400 video
    (on-board) chipset yet Knoppix Live disk gets it right (accelerated 3D).
    I've compared sax2 settings in xorg.conf and cannot find much of a
    difference except for more video resolution choices and a big change in
    syntax. But Knoppix does not recognize the OpenSuse syntax in xorg.conf
    nor visa versa.

    This stuff must belong the realm of Tolkein's or Spencer's fairyland.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  8. Re: xgl ain't too hot in 10.3

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    > Ron Eggler wrote:
    >
    >> Rajko M. wrote:

    >>> Looking on openSUSE wiki gives now, after 2 years of existence, much
    >>> more useful information:
    >>>
    >>> http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    >> by following these instructions on my 10.2 system I 'destroyed' my
    >> graphics card driver what means zserver wouldn't start anymore, yast
    >> either so i booted with an Ubuntu CD, got the driver from the Nvidia
    >> homepage and installed it again - that's how i got my X back...any ideas
    >> what i did wrongly?

    Probably nothing. Bad driver or bad xorg.conf, plus few "I didn't know":
    - enter 'init 3' on boot screen to get text mode
    - use Midnight Commander (has to be installed) to ftp in
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/
    or
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/
    and browse to find drivers.

    > In my last two OpenSuse 10.3 installations with nVidia cards I found that
    > there was more than one set of drivers to choose from in the OpenSuse
    > repositories. Naturally I installed the wrong one first, or the wrong one
    > was chosen by sax2. I found that uninstalling the driver and then
    > reinstalling the correct one worked in those instances.
    >
    > On my newer HP system (a720n -- ok so in computer time, not so new) the
    > Ubuntu Live disk would not even attempt to install but on my 9 year old
    > Soho based motherboard it had no problems. Likewise on my HP system, I
    > cannot get 3D to work properly with the Via Technologies KM400 video
    > (on-board) chipset yet Knoppix Live disk gets it right (accelerated 3D).
    > I've compared sax2 settings in xorg.conf and cannot find much of a
    > difference except for more video resolution choices and a big change in
    > syntax. But Knoppix does not recognize the OpenSuse syntax in xorg.conf
    > nor visa versa.
    >
    > This stuff must belong the realm of Tolkein's or Spencer's fairyland.

    I can only join the club of sax2 fans :-)

    It was so frustrating to deal with, that I jumped back to
    X -configure
    that created working configuration, but too high pixel rate for one of
    monitors. Manual editing xorg.conf to include data for my monitors and tell
    X to use lower resolution did the job. This configuration works fine.

    I was chasing nvidia driver issue while it was all bad xorg.conf.

    It seems that is time to look seriously on sax2.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

+ Reply to Thread