wifi setup (again) - Suse

This is a discussion on wifi setup (again) - Suse ; Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi. I want to ...

  1. wifi setup (again)

    Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times
    on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and
    it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.

    I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).

    So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up the
    cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I dig
    myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  2. Re: wifi setup (again)

    "ajp" wrote in message
    > Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times
    > on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and
    > it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.
    >
    > I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    > ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    > WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    > up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    > the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).
    >
    > So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up
    > the
    > cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I dig
    > myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?
    >
    > Alan
    > --
    > email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

    Typically you have two types of setup Ad Hoc (computer to computer) and
    Infrastructure (access point required). It sounds like you need to pursue Ad
    Hoc. I am sorry I have never done that one.

  3. Re: wifi setup (again)

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:10:45 +0100, ajp wrote:

    > I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    > ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    > WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    > up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    > the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).

    Set the time, pain and suffering of making ad-hoc do anything useful
    against the $50 that an AP will cost.

  4. Re: wifi setup (again)

    ajp wrote:

    > Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times
    > on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and
    > it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.
    >
    > I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    > ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    > WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    > up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    > the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).
    >
    > So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up
    > the cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I
    > dig myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?
    >
    > Alan

    Looks like the consensus is - put in an AP. Unfortunately funds are tight
    ATM so it'll have to wait until some gainful employment comes along.

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  5. Re: wifi setup (again)

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:12:35 +0100, ajp wrote:

    > ajp wrote:
    >
    >> Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times
    >> on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and
    >> it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.
    >>
    >> I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    >> ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    >> WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    >> up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    >> the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).
    >>
    >> So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up
    >> the cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I
    >> dig myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?
    >>

    > Looks like the consensus is - put in an AP. Unfortunately funds are tight
    > ATM so it'll have to wait until some gainful employment comes along.

    Unless you set the server up as an access point :-)

    The atheros driver supports master mode, so it can be used as the basis
    for an AP. It looks like you already have the hardware you need to do
    this.

    Take a look at

    http://www.linux.com/articles/55617

    The writer even used the exact same card that you have, so follow the
    instructions and tell us where it gets you.

    Good luck,
    Mark
    --
    Signature: mode "master" unsupported in this signature version.

  6. Re: wifi setup (again)

    ajp writes:

    >ajp wrote:

    >> Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous times
    >> on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news browser and
    >> it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.

    groups.google.com

    >> I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where my
    >> ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server and a
    >> WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able to set
    >> up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access point (in
    >> the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).

    No. Most cards, and most linux drivers, are not set up to be a Master.

    >> So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up
    >> the cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I
    >> dig myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?
    >>
    >> Alan

    >Looks like the consensus is - put in an AP. Unfortunately funds are tight
    >ATM so it'll have to wait until some gainful employment comes along.

    Sell the wireless on your server, and buy an access point, which you plug
    your server into with ethernet cable. I have seen wireless routers for $20.

    Certainly for $50 there a loads of them.

  7. Re: wifi setup (again)

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:12:35 +0100, ajp wrote:
    >
    >> ajp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok - I know that setting up wifi on 10.2 has been discussed numerous
    >>> times on this ng but the threads have now disappeared from ny news
    >>> browser and it's only now I'm looking at installing wifi.
    >>>
    >>> I want to get a laptop to communicate with my server and this is where
    >>> my ignorance of wifi shows - I got a Netgear AR5212 NIC for the server
    >>> and a WG511T card for the laptop on the assumption that I should be able
    >>> to set up comms between the two without the need for a wireless access
    >>> point (in the same way I'd use a crossover RJ45 cable).
    >>>
    >>> So far I've installed the cards, put in madwifi and used YaST to set up
    >>> the cards and the config seems to have gone Ok but no ping etc. Before I
    >>> dig myself in any deeper am I correct that I don't need an access point?
    >>>

    >> Looks like the consensus is - put in an AP. Unfortunately funds are tight
    >> ATM so it'll have to wait until some gainful employment comes along.

    > Unless you set the server up as an access point :-)
    >
    > The atheros driver supports master mode, so it can be used as the basis
    > for an AP. It looks like you already have the hardware you need to do
    > this.
    >
    > Take a look at
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/articles/55617
    >
    > The writer even used the exact same card that you have, so follow the
    > instructions and tell us where it gets you.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Mark

    Thanks - I'll look into this. I'd buy an access point but right at the
    moment I'm totally broke - in between jobs and living off the wife's
    earnings :-(.

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  8. Re: wifi setup (again)

    ajp wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:

    >>> Looks like the consensus is - put in an AP. Unfortunately funds are
    >>> tight ATM so it'll have to wait until some gainful employment comes
    >>> along.

    >> Unless you set the server up as an access point :-)
    >>
    >> The atheros driver supports master mode, so it can be used as the basis
    >> for an AP. It looks like you already have the hardware you need to do
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Take a look at
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/articles/55617
    >>
    >> The writer even used the exact same card that you have, so follow the
    >> instructions and tell us where it gets you.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> Mark

    > Thanks - I'll look into this. I'd buy an access point but right at the
    > moment I'm totally broke - in between jobs and living off the wife's
    > earnings :-(.
    >
    > Alan

    That article had the info I needed - setting the card on the server as
    Master gets the laptop and server to connect

    Now all I've got to do is work out why the wifi subnet doesn't get packets
    onto the router subnet. The server is on 3 subnets: 192.168.9.0 is the main
    wired subnet, 192.168.10.0 is the wifi subnet and 192.168.7.0 is the router
    (RED) subnet. The main LAN works Ok in all directions, the wifi can talk to
    the wired subnet but can't get to the router subnet.

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  9. Re: wifi setup (again)

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:08:09 +0100, ajp wrote:

    >> Take a look at
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/articles/55617
    >>
    >> The writer even used the exact same card that you have, so follow the
    >> instructions and tell us where it gets you.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> Mark

    > Thanks - I'll look into this. I'd buy an access point but right at the
    > moment I'm totally broke - in between jobs and living off the wife's
    > earnings :-(.

    No job, and living off the wife? Some guys would envy you!

    Seriously, though, goodl luck with the project - let us know if anything
    comes of it.

    And here's wishing you luck with the other stuff too.

    Mark
    --
    Signature reste chômeur.

  10. Re: wifi setup (again)

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:40:18 +0100, ajp wrote:

    > That article had the info I needed - setting the card on the server as
    > Master gets the laptop and server to connect

    Cool. What kind of signal strength readings are you getting?

    > Now all I've got to do is work out why the wifi subnet doesn't get packets
    > onto the router subnet. The server is on 3 subnets: 192.168.9.0 is the
    > main wired subnet, 192.168.10.0 is the wifi subnet and 192.168.7.0 is the
    > router (RED) subnet. The main LAN works Ok in all directions, the wifi can
    > talk to the wired subnet but can't get to the router subnet.

    DHCP or fixed IP addresses? Packet filtering? /etc/resolv.conf settings?

    Could be almost anything ;-)

  11. Re: wifi setup (again)

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:40:18 +0100, ajp wrote:
    >
    >> That article had the info I needed - setting the card on the server as
    >> Master gets the laptop and server to connect

    > Cool. What kind of signal strength readings are you getting?

    iwconfig ath0 reports
    Link Quality=21/70 Signal level=-71 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm

    - is this good/bad/indifferent?

    >> Now all I've got to do is work out why the wifi subnet doesn't get
    >> packets onto the router subnet. The server is on 3 subnets: 192.168.9.0
    >> is the main wired subnet, 192.168.10.0 is the wifi subnet and 192.168.7.0
    >> is the router (RED) subnet. The main LAN works Ok in all directions, the
    >> wifi can talk to the wired subnet but can't get to the router subnet.

    > DHCP or fixed IP addresses? Packet filtering? /etc/resolv.conf settings?
    >
    > Could be almost anything ;-)

    Fixed IP addresses. Firewall is Off on laptop and server (there's a firewall
    on the router)

    The wifi laptop can ping server NICs on same subnet, LAN subnet and router
    subnet but just can't get to the router on the router subnet. IP forwarding
    is enabled on the server and the LAN subnet gets through no probs.
    Sniffing with wireshark ...
    server/ath0 shows stuf from laptop
    server/wifi0 shows no packets
    server/eth1 (router network NIC) shows no packets

    Back to the documentation - looks like something to do with bridging

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  12. Re: wifi setup (again)

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:36:27 +0100, ajp wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:40:18 +0100, ajp wrote:
    >>
    >>> That article had the info I needed - setting the card on the server as
    >>> Master gets the laptop and server to connect

    >> Cool. What kind of signal strength readings are you getting?

    > iwconfig ath0 reports
    > Link Quality=21/70 Signal level=-71 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm
    >
    > - is this good/bad/indifferent?

    It's pretty bad, very high noise level. You normally need better than 40%
    to maintain a usable connection.

    Some creative use of tinfoil (for the wireless antenna, not you!) can work
    wonders here.

    >>> Now all I've got to do is work out why the wifi subnet doesn't get
    >>> packets onto the router subnet. The server is on 3 subnets: 192.168.9.0
    >>> is the main wired subnet, 192.168.10.0 is the wifi subnet and 192.168.7.0
    >>> is the router (RED) subnet. The main LAN works Ok in all directions, the
    >>> wifi can talk to the wired subnet but can't get to the router subnet.

    >> DHCP or fixed IP addresses? Packet filtering? /etc/resolv.conf settings?
    >>
    >> Could be almost anything ;-)

    > Fixed IP addresses. Firewall is Off on laptop and server (there's a firewall
    > on the router)

    I'm stumped from here :-)

    > The wifi laptop can ping server NICs on same subnet, LAN subnet and router
    > subnet but just can't get to the router on the router subnet. IP forwarding
    > is enabled on the server and the LAN subnet gets through no probs.
    > Sniffing with wireshark ...
    > server/ath0 shows stuf from laptop
    > server/wifi0 shows no packets
    > server/eth1 (router network NIC) shows no packets
    >
    > Back to the documentation - looks like something to do with bridging

    It could be too many retries creating a race condition. This sometimes
    happens with low signal strength. Try moving the machines closer together
    until the signal strength is constantly over 60% and see what happens.

    Note that ICMP will work over nets that are too noisy or congested for UDP
    or TCP to survive.

+ Reply to Thread