Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless - Suse

This is a discussion on Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless - Suse ; I bought a Dell Inspiron E1505 about 18 months ago, installed Suse 10.1 on it. Intel 3945 wireless installed automatically and worked, through several on line updates, but the last OLU killed it. I couldn't find a solution on the ...

  1. Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless

    I bought a Dell Inspiron E1505 about 18 months ago, installed Suse 10.1
    on it.

    Intel 3945 wireless installed automatically and worked, through several
    on line updates, but the last OLU killed it.

    I couldn't find a solution on the Web, decided I wanted to try 10.2
    anyway, so got that and installed it in July.

    The 3945 was detected automatically and worked.

    I did several on line updates, no problem, until Oct 20, when a OLU
    killed the wireless again.

    It appears that this is due to update installing a new kernel.

    I needed the wireless working ASAP, so after searching the net for a
    solution, and posting on this site and getting no response, I reverted
    to the previous kernel (the one on the DVD).

    I was in a hurry so didn't explore too much - but it appears that all of
    the pieces were there, ipw3945d, wlan stuff, etc., some of them updated
    along with the kernel.

    But it appears that the old microcode for the 3945 removed by the update
    process but a new one wasn't installed.

    So keep this in mind when using On Line Update with SuSE 10.1 and 10.2
    if you have an Intel 3945 wireless adapter.

    By the way, reverting to an older kernel with Yast is a bit tricky.

    John Sandell

  2. Re: Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless

    John Sandell a écrit :
    I wanted to try 10.2
    > anyway, so got that and installed it in July.
    >
    > The 3945 was detected automatically and worked.
    >
    > I did several on line updates, no problem, until Oct 20, when a OLU
    > killed the wireless again.

    Hi John,

    I faced the same problem. In order to fix it I just reinstalled the
    ipw3945 software from the CD.
    Regards

    --
    Sylvain - FRANCE

  3. Re: Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless

    Sylvain POURRE wrote:
    > John Sandell a écrit :
    > I wanted to try 10.2
    >> anyway, so got that and installed it in July.
    >>
    >> The 3945 was detected automatically and worked.
    >>
    >> I did several on line updates, no problem, until Oct 20, when a OLU
    >> killed the wireless again.
    >>

    > Hi John,
    >
    > I faced the same problem. In order to fix it I just reinstalled the
    > ipw3945 software from the CD.
    > Regards
    > .

    That's good to know. I just reverted back to the kernel on the CD

    John Sandell

  4. Re: Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945 wireless

    John Sandell writes:

    >Sylvain POURRE wrote:
    >> John Sandell a écrit :
    >> I wanted to try 10.2
    >>> anyway, so got that and installed it in July.
    >>>
    >>> The 3945 was detected automatically and worked.
    >>>
    >>> I did several on line updates, no problem, until Oct 20, when a OLU
    >>> killed the wireless again.
    >>>

    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> I faced the same problem. In order to fix it I just reinstalled the
    >> ipw3945 software from the CD.
    >> Regards
    >> .

    >That's good to know. I just reverted back to the kernel on the CD

    That reminds me. The ipw3945 is a module and MUST be compiled for the exact
    kernel version it is used on. If you updated the kernel without updating
    the modules, it would not work. And you would see it from the messages in
    dmesg.

    Ie, you must install the new ipw modules if you install a new kernel.

    I do not know about suse, but on Mandriva, those modules are separate from
    the kernel.

    >John Sandell

  5. Re: Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless

    Unruh wrote:
    > John Sandell writes:
    >
    >> Sylvain POURRE wrote:
    >>> John Sandell a écrit :

    > That reminds me. The ipw3945 is a module and MUST be compiled for the exact
    > kernel version it is used on. If you updated the kernel without updating
    > the modules, it would not work. And you would see it from the messages in
    > dmesg.
    >
    > Ie, you must install the new ipw modules if you install a new kernel.
    >
    > I do not know about suse, but on Mandriva, those modules are separate from
    > the kernel.
    >

    >> John Sandell

    With SuSE's On Line Update, when you get a newer version of the kernel,
    usually you also get the other modules, libraries, etc., that are
    affected. Sending a new kernel out as an update without the proper
    modules can mean something breaks. In my case, it was my wireless.
    This shouldn't have happened.

    John Sandell

  6. Re: Caution: It appears that On Line Update can kill your Intel 3945wireless

    John Sandell a écrit :
    > Unruh wrote:
    >> John Sandell writes:

    >> That reminds me. The ipw3945 is a module and MUST be compiled for the exact
    >> kernel version it is used on. If you updated the kernel without updating
    >> the modules, it would not work. And you would see it from the messages in
    >> dmesg.
    >>
    >> Ie, you must install the new ipw modules if you install a new kernel.
    >>
    >> I do not know about suse, but on Mandriva, those modules are separate from
    >> the kernel.
    >>

    >>> John Sandell

    > With SuSE's On Line Update, when you get a newer version of the kernel,
    > usually you also get the other modules, libraries, etc., that are
    > affected. Sending a new kernel out as an update without the proper
    > modules can mean something breaks. In my case, it was my wireless.
    > This shouldn't have happened.

    Hi John

    With my previous SuSE 10.2, after each kernel update, I had to reinstall
    the ipw3945 stuff from the CDROM.
    After that, it was 2 directories into /lib/modules:

    - one for the current kernel default
    - one for the CDROM kernel version

    a link was automaticaly created from a current default kernel
    subdirectory to the ipw3945 (smart update but I'm not 100 per cent sure
    of it because now I'm running SuSE 10.3).

    --
    Sylvain

+ Reply to Thread