Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ? - Suse

This is a discussion on Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ? - Suse ; I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set up the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways, installed my favorite programs, and ran the update. Then - as root - ...

  1. Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set up
    the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways,
    installed my favorite programs, and ran the update.

    Then - as root - I (re-)moved the contents of my home directory and replaced
    it with that of the old machine.

    Resolution is the same, I have done this before, everything seems ok.

    But some of the icons don't stay where I put them.
    Icon sorting is switched off.

    Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.

    Douglas Adams

  2. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?

    From my experience, they're located in /dev/random.

    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mdling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  3. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set up
    > the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways,
    > installed my favorite programs, and ran the update.
    >
    > Then - as root - I (re-)moved the contents of my home directory and
    > replaced it with that of the old machine.
    >
    > Resolution is the same, I have done this before, everything seems ok.
    >
    > But some of the icons don't stay where I put them.
    > Icon sorting is switched off.
    >
    > Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    > I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.

    ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

    My guess is, it will not remember positions if it can't store them, ie.
    permissions are messed up. Than it will create new file with random suffix
    and .new appended. Normal permission is u:rw- g:--- o:--- ie. only owner
    can read or change files.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  4. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set up
    > the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways,
    > installed my favorite programs, and ran the update.
    >
    > Then - as root - I (re-)moved the contents of my home directory and
    > replaced it with that of the old machine.
    >
    > Resolution is the same, I have done this before, everything seems ok.
    >
    > But some of the icons don't stay where I put them.
    > Icon sorting is switched off.
    >

    > Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    > I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.

    Have you tried putting your icons where you want them, right click on the
    desktop from the drop down menu that appears select icons, from the next
    drop down menu select “lock in place.”

  5. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    On 2007-10-21, Hendric Stattmann wrote:
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >
    >> Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?

    > From my experience, they're located in /dev/random.

    I parsed the whole line, before grepping that.

    Bastard. :-)

    Douglas Adams

  6. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    On 2007-10-21, Rajko M. wrote:
    >> Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    >> I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.

    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

    Great, found it !

    > My guess is, it will not remember positions if it can't store them, ie.
    > permissions are messed up. Than it will create new file with random suffix
    > and .new appended. Normal permission is u:rw- g:--- o:--- ie. only owner
    > can read or change files.

    Well, permissions seemed OK.

    But I did see a whole bunch of 'IconPositions*.*' files:
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1456 2007-10-22 19:33 IconPositions
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1241 2007-08-25 22:00 IconPositions990mxb.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1362 2006-12-18 20:27 IconPositionsCv0CRb.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1488 2007-02-15 11:13 IconPositionsdm5l4b.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1176 2007-04-27 13:16 IconPositionsFLqrtc.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1241 2007-09-26 23:22 IconPositionsFT2xOb.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1241 2007-09-16 00:58 IconPositionsj2gfMa.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 0 2007-06-16 20:21 IconPositionspjOu6b.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1556 2007-01-16 00:15 IconPositionsrs8Ywb.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 637 2006-02-13 21:17 IconPositionsSwapoa.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 1176 2007-07-21 00:35 IconPositionsv7ifIb.new
    -rw------- 1 werner users 0 2007-09-29 22:43 IconPositionsXBGCec.new

    Some where empty, most dated from before the switch between machines.

    I moved them elsewhere, and did a shutdown. After that, I found a new
    IconPositions file, and the icons had kept the position they would 'walk
    away' from.

    Thanks a lot !

    Douglas Adams

  7. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    On 2007-10-22, winston winslo wrote:
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >

    >> I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set up
    >> the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways,
    >> installed my favorite programs, and ran the update.
    >>
    >> Then - as root - I (re-)moved the contents of my home directory and
    >> replaced it with that of the old machine.
    >>
    >> Resolution is the same, I have done this before, everything seems ok.
    >>
    >> But some of the icons don't stay where I put them.
    >> Icon sorting is switched off.
    >>

    >> Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    >> I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.
    >>

    > Have you tried putting your icons where you want them, right click on the
    > desktop from the drop down menu that appears select icons, from the next
    > drop down menu select ?lock in place.?

    No such option found. Maybe that's after version 10.0 ?

    Douglas Adams

  8. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    On 2007-10-22, Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >> ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

    > Great, found it !
    >
    >> My guess is, it will not remember positions if it can't store them, ie.
    >> permissions are messed up. Than it will create new file with random suffix
    >> and .new appended. Normal permission is u:rw- g:--- o:--- ie. only owner
    >> can read or change files.

    > Well, permissions seemed OK.
    >
    > But I did see a whole bunch of 'IconPositions*.*' files:
    > -rw------- 1 werner users 1456 2007-10-22 19:33 IconPositions

    > Some where empty, most dated from before the switch between machines.
    >
    > I moved them elsewhere, and did a shutdown. After that, I found a new
    > IconPositions file, and the icons had kept the position they would 'walk
    > away' from.

    .... and they're walking again !

    Dawn !

    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2007-10-22, winston winslo wrote:
    >> Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've recently moved between machines. As I have done before, I had set
    >>> up the normal base install, added my user with the same UID as allways,
    >>> installed my favorite programs, and ran the update.
    >>>
    >>> Then - as root - I (re-)moved the contents of my home directory and
    >>> replaced it with that of the old machine.
    >>>
    >>> Resolution is the same, I have done this before, everything seems ok.
    >>>
    >>> But some of the icons don't stay where I put them.
    >>> Icon sorting is switched off.
    >>>

    >>> Where does KDE store the positions of it's dekstop icons?
    >>> I'd like to see if anything is going on with that file.
    >>>

    >> Have you tried putting your icons where you want them, right click on the
    >> desktop from the drop down menu that appears select icons, from the next
    >> drop down menu select ?lock in place.?

    > No such option found. Maybe that's after version 10.0 ?

    The icon positions are stored here:
    /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop (in konqueror use 'View' 'Show
    Hidden Files')

    Next time you update this is the file to save and put in your new
    /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop folder.

  10. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    ------------------------------------snip---------------------------------

    > The icon positions are stored here:
    > /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop (in konqueror use 'View' 'Show
    > Hidden Files')
    >
    > Next time you update this is the file to save and put in your new
    > /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop folder.

    Forgot to mention the name of the file in this folder is called

    'IconPositions' . Who would have thought ??

  11. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2007-10-22, Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>> ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

    >> Great, found it !
    >>
    >>> My guess is, it will not remember positions if it can't store them, ie.
    >>> permissions are messed up. Than it will create new file with random
    >>> suffix and .new appended. Normal permission is u:rw- g:--- o:--- ie.
    >>> only owner can read or change files.

    >> Well, permissions seemed OK.
    >>
    >> But I did see a whole bunch of 'IconPositions*.*' files:
    >> -rw------- 1 werner users 1456 2007-10-22 19:33 IconPositions

    >> Some where empty, most dated from before the switch between machines.
    >>
    >> I moved them elsewhere, and did a shutdown. After that, I found a new
    >> IconPositions file, and the icons had kept the position they would 'walk
    >> away' from.

    > ... and they're walking again !
    >
    > Dawn !

    Well, I have seen some walking, but then I used context menu
    Icons > [x] Align to grid
    and they don't walk unless I change screen resolution.
    Though even that can be sorted out if you specify in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    that your virtual desktop is as big as your maximum screen resolution.
    Let me see 'man xorg.conf'.
    It tells that I can use
    Virtual xdim ydim
    in
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubSection

    I just added this to mine and let we see how it works. Save message and
    logout.
    -\|/-\|/-\|/- (after sometime)

    It works separately for each screen. Cool.
    Now I have 1280x1024 on both screens without overloading smaller monitor,
    and icons stay where they are. Mouse is used to move screen to area that is
    not visible.

    This xorg is amazing what you can configure.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  12. Re: Where does KDE store the positions of icons on the desktop ?

    On 2007-10-26, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> Have you tried putting your icons where you want them, right click on the
    >>> desktop from the drop down menu that appears select icons, from the next
    >>> drop down menu select ?lock in place.?

    >> No such option found. Maybe that's after version 10.0 ?

    > The icon positions are stored here:
    > /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop (in konqueror use 'View' 'Show
    > Hidden Files')

    I know. And when I move the icons, I see the date/time of that file chaned.
    o that's OK.

    > Next time you update this is the file to save and put in your new
    > /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop folder.

    I did save it. I copied the whole home dir. But with the original files in
    that dir, or after removing them, so KDE creates a new one... I sometimes
    find a few icons moved, when I start up.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread